DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
I don't think the subscription fee business model will survive, but Tivo as a company will... cable tv will always exist.

I say that about the subscription fee because of services such as VCR Plus... that feature comes on nearly every vcr now, and simplifies the taping of a show down to entering a number out of a magazine. Sure, you have to buy the magazine, but you get something tangible for your money.

· Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
Isn't that exactly what DBS and Cable are? We subscribe to the service and pay them a monthly fee diligently every month!
I wasn't talking about paying for programming in general... let me clarify..

The TiVo sub entails paying for a second program guide. Cable or DSS already give you a program guide, but TiVo can't get that information.. somebody has to re-enter that guide so the TiVo unit can work its magic. I compared that data entry process to VCR Plus... somebody has to code all that programming with a number, and by typing that number into a vcr plus enabled vcr, the program will record. You don't have to pay for the redundant data entry. That's the subscription fee I speak of.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.