Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please take the HR20 Wish List Survey.

Even if you took it earlier, please take it again. There are many new items to consider.

Check out the Results From the Past Week. You can now filter by Missing Promised Features, Ease of Use Refinements, etc. and print the Results page.

Bear in mind that Missing Features and Ease of Use Enhancements have little support down-side. New Features can increase the complexity of the User Interface and increase the load on the call centers.

Pick your most important items from the wishlist. The next time you call for tech support, ask the CSR for Advanced Technologies. That promotes you to Tier II.

Ask to have your requests "Escallated to Account Management." Those are the key words.

Other key words:
"The HR20 does not do what the manual says on page __."
-or-
"Please make the HR20 easier to use by doing this: __."

There are 29,000 of us. We can make a difference.

- Craig

Added Later: Calling in with your problems also helps you have a documented file in case you would ever want to replace or return a unit.

·
AllStar
56 Posts
Nice survey. A few suggested additions:

* 30 second skip (a user option to turn 30 second slip into skip)

* Random access. Press "14 [ffw]" and you go 14 minutes forward, press "8 [rewind]" and go 8 minutes backwards, "90 [jump]" and go to the 90th minute of the show, etc...

* Ability to really turn off fantasy football...er... stat tracker pop-ups

* Trim/Split (I'd like the ability to delete everything before or after the current position so I can archive a great moment or just release the first half of a broadcast that I'm halfway through - could be implemented with a simple "split" command)

----

The second of these (random access) has become the #1 thing I miss from my last DVR (other than stability). I'd even take it over 30 sec skip.

·
Godfather
278 Posts
gusjohnson said:

* Random access. Press "14 [ffw]" and you go 14 minutes forward, press "8 [rewind]" and go 8 minutes backwards, "90 [jump]" and go to the 90th minute of the show, etc...

* Trim/Split (I'd like the ability to delete everything before or after the current position so I can archive a great moment or just release the first half of a broadcast that I'm halfway through - could be implemented with a simple "split" command)

----

The second of these (random access) has become the #1 thing I miss from my last DVR (other than stability). I'd even take it over 30 sec skip.
I believe that the "30 sec skip" was on the survey and ranked near the top and for some reason was recently removed from the survey. I agree, while they made the "slip" feature much more useable, I still prefer the "skip".

·
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gusjohnson said:
First, It is Doug who does the Survey but in that thread you will see some answers.
30 Second Slip vs. the new fast Skip was a separate survey. By 3 to 1 people are happy with the new fast Slip now as a replacement for Skip. Most said fast Slip is now better than Skip. D* will never again allow backdoor features on their boxes. The real issue is the MPAA.

Randow Access was wanted especially becasue it was a way to overcome the slow FFW. But now we can FFW at 5x, 12x, 20x, 90x, and 300x. You can move to any point in a two-hour show within 12 seconds. Random Access also would take away an important and intuitive feature. Pressing a number on almost any TV takes you to that channel.

Trim/Split was on the survey as abillity to edit a recording. It was not doing well and I don't know if it was removed. The wishlist has a Changes link that lists all changes. Plus there is a lot more info in the Wishlist thread.

Take Care,

- Craig

·
Legend
200 Posts
Tried to take new survey - no Submit button.
Also, what does this mean in the changes:

"....
A confirm delete after hitting DASH-DASH.
10-Nov-2006
[brott] Removed to better focus the Wish List"

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
gusjohnson said:
Go to channel 795, when the "Player Tracker" message comes up press the RED button. Then press the BLUE button for Preferences and then turn alerts off.

·
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
deebeeeff said:
Tried to take new survey - no Submit button.
Also, what does this mean in the changes:

"....
A confirm delete after hitting DASH-DASH.
10-Nov-2006
[brott] Removed to better focus the Wish List"
Click this link to take the survey:
HR20 Wish List Survey

You have have to click Tools, Internet Options, Sites and add this site to your secure sites.

You have two ways to delete recordings: one with a confirmaiton and one without a confirmation if you prefer it. The way without a confirmaiton is Dash-Dash. The way with a confirmaiton is SELECT --> Delete --> OK.

Click here to see the survey and read the ongoing discussion:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=68183

- Craig

·
AllStar
56 Posts
Wolffpack said:
Go to channel 795, when the "Player Tracker" message comes up press the RED button. Then press the BLUE button for Preferences and then turn alerts off.
I've done that and prior to this weekend, I still got a mini pop up reminding me of the feature whenever I would change channels between games. However, today, it didn't happen. Maybe this has been improved!

·
AllStar
56 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
First, It is Doug who does the Survey but in that thread you will see some answers.
30 Second Slip vs. the new fast Skip was a separate survey. By 3 to 1 people are happy with the new fast Slip now as a replacement for Skip. Most said fast Slip is now better than Skip. D* will never again allow backdoor features on their boxes. The real issue is the MPAA.

Randow Access was wanted especially becasue it was a way to overcome the slow FFW. But now we can FFW at 5x, 12x, 20x, 90x, and 300x. You can move to any point in a two-hour show within 12 seconds. Random Access also would take away an important and intuitive feature. Pressing a number on almost any TV takes you to that channel.

Trim/Split was on the survey as abillity to edit a recording. It was not doing well and I don't know if it was removed. The wishlist has a Changes link that lists all changes. Plus there is a lot more info in the Wishlist thread.

Take Care,

- Craig
Just now trying the new slip and it is a big improvement! I'd still like to see a user option (shouldn't have to be a back door) and I'd still pesonally opt for skip unless I was watching a sporting event. But it's much improved and makes this less of an issue.

I'm also just now discovering the new 4x. Another nice improvement. However, I disagree that it's an adequate substitute for random access. Also, I don't see why this can't be made to work any differently than the way that 1 digit, 2 digit, and 3 digit channels all coexist (i.e. if I type 9 it waits to see if I type another digit (so it could also wait to see if I type ffw) before going to channel 9). Other DVRs do this.

Finally, the trim/split would be a nice to have but not top of my list either. I've always imagined that the edit feature has never made it because the UI would be a bit complicated - but a simply split feature could be simple way to achieve what most people need.

BTW: Any idea why undelete is listed as off the table? I assume it's technical difficulty but I find it hard to believe that it can't be done - at least in the majority of cases.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.