DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Godfather
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this happen before? Tuner 1 signal is a steady 90-some odd percent on all transponders on the 101 sat. Tuner 2 fluctuates like crazy, like its "peaking" (signal starts low, then pops up to almost normal strength, then fluctuates between almost normal and weak). Tuner 2 signal on the other sats is even lower, which is normal (tuner 1 signal is slightly lower on the other sats too)

I ruled out wiring (swapped the incoming lines and tuner 2 is still weak). The only thing odd about my setup right now is that there is a multiswitch inline, but its not a 6x8, just the old 5x8 until DirecTV gets someone out here with a 6x8.

I verified this is an issue by recording two programs. One was great, the other had all sorts of pixellization and sound squeaks.

Am I going to have to return it? Are they going to give me a refurb for a one day old HR20?

-Chris

· Godfather
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any ideas?

Not sure if I should call D* and request a replacement....dont want to end up with one thats even worse than this one! Everything else seems fine with this box.

-Chris

· Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt
5,262 Posts
chrisexv6 said:
Any ideas?

Not sure if I should call D* and request a replacement....dont want to end up with one thats even worse than this one! Everything else seems fine with this box.

-Chris
One way to find out if one tuner is bad...go to you OTA channels and see if you can record two seperate channels. I think if one tuner is really bad you would only be able to record one channel,not two.
I think.

· RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
BubblePuppy said:
One way to find out if one tuner is bad...go to you OTA channels and see if you can record to seperate channels. I think if one tuner is really bad you would only be able to record one channel,not two.
I think.
Put one OTA channel on record and try to watch another.

If both are good, it will work, if both are not it won't work.

Others have reported that the signal meters have bugs and are unreliable.

· Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt
5,262 Posts
Brantel said:
Put one OTA channel on record and try to watch another.

If both are good, it will work, if both are not it won't work.

Others have reported that the signal meters have bugs and are unreliable.
I had the same concern the other day.......Here's my thread about that:http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=73762

One tuner showed 100% or so and the other showed 0% but both work fine.

· Cool Member
24 Posts
chrisexv6 said:
Has anyone had this happen before? Tuner 1 signal is a steady 90-some odd percent on all transponders on the 101 sat. Tuner 2 fluctuates like crazy, like its "peaking" (signal starts low, then pops up to almost normal strength, then fluctuates between almost normal and weak). Tuner 2 signal on the other sats is even lower, which is normal (tuner 1 signal is slightly lower on the other sats too)

I ruled out wiring (swapped the incoming lines and tuner 2 is still weak). The only thing odd about my setup right now is that there is a multiswitch inline, but its not a 6x8, just the old 5x8 until DirecTV gets someone out here with a 6x8.

I verified this is an issue by recording two programs. One was great, the other had all sorts of pixellization and sound squeaks.

Am I going to have to return it? Are they going to give me a refurb for a one day old HR20?

-Chris
I have two HR20's that do the same thing. D* was supposed to come today and install a my dish and Multiswitch to see if that fixed the problem. They sent one replacement so far and that one did the same thing which is leading them, and maybe me, to believe its the switch or my LNB dish. Like you I also have an old Multiswitch. For me its exactly as you describe. Sat 1 is rock solid, Sat 2 is all over the place and get bad pixelation and audio dropouts. On the signal meter for Sat 2 it just bounces all over the place. Tech cancelled on me this afternoon and Ironwood rescheduled me for Sat AM. I'll let you know what I find out. If its the boxes I have had 3 of them!!!!

· Cool Member
24 Posts
BubblePuppy said:
I had the same concern the other day.......Here's my thread about that:http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=73762

One tuner showed 100% or so and the other showed 0% but both work fine.
For me both OTA work great, its the Sat2 Tuner on both of my HR20s that is acting weird. I think what Chris is describing is the Sat Tuner, not the OTA as it is just as I am seeing.

· Godfather
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

I did a little more experimenting last night. If I recorded 2 programs at the same time, 1 on Discovery (278) and one on HGTV (229), the Discovery show was unwatchable. I setup the same situation overnight, and it worked fine. So obviously its "intermittent"........could possibly still be multiswitch, Ill explain after this.

Pulled one of the inputs off the multiswitch, and ran it directly to the HR20. Keep in mind, the other 3 outputs off the dish were still connected to the old multiswitch. The one connected directly to the HR20 yielded the highest signals Ive seen on any xponder on Tuner 2. However, all odd xponders were out, AND tuner 1 had a signal on all the even xponders as well. Im wondering if D* is doing something funky with the input from the tuners? Perhaps an input to both tuners is REQUIRED and one tuner it uses the odds and the other the even xponders? Dont know. But, judging from the fact that the Tuner 2 strength increased (on all the xponders it was receiving), Im wondering if it really is the multiswitch.

As far as the experiment I did that worked overnight, Im wondering if my other SD Tivo had switched to record something and the multiswitch ended up with everything "just right" for the HR20 to record fine as well.

Right now its either the Tuner 2, the old multiswitch, or the dish (or a combination). Im going to jump 2 of the dish outputs directly to the HR20 and remove the other 2 dish outputs from the old switch to see if the issue goes away (that will rule out the switch). All my other receivers work fine (including both tuners on my SD Tivo), so I think that means its a good shot its not the dish.

As far as the suggestion of recording one sat and one OTA, is that implying Tuner 2 and OTA are somehow linked inside the box? Im wondering if having the OTA not connected to anything could cause signal leakage enough to mess with Tuner 2 (if they are linked together). I have a bunch of those 75 ohm terminators for unused coax inputs/outputs, maybe Ill try putting one on my unused OTA input.

-Chris

· Cool Member
20 Posts
I've also noticed the second OTA tuner is weak. I first noticed it after setting up OTA yesterday and checking the signal strength on my channels. I haven't been able to check by recording stuff yet though. I figured it was just a fluke, but after reading this, maybe it's not. :(

Joe

· Godfather
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually noticed this issue while the installer was still there, but he blew it off (aka probably didnt want to hang around and find out that I was right about it being an issue). Unfortunately, if I start getting them involved the first thing they will do is make me wait for them to install a multiswitch. So Ill try to rule out the switch by myself.

Also curious if OTA and Tuner 2 are somehow linked internally, and if maybe terminating the OTA output (if nothing is connected) somehow helps out Tuner 2.

-Chris

· You make it, We break it
4,480 Posts
Chris,
You definitely want to replace the multiswitch, which I see you're planning.
What was suggested above concerning OTA is that you only have one OTA line coming into the box. Inside the box is where it's distributed to 2 OTA tuners. You want to check the antenna signal strength to see how your OTA levels are, which I believe is a separate issue from tuner strength for your SAT inputs.

If you swap the SAT in cables, and everything is the same (ie opposite), then you know it's not your cabling. As far as the transponder strengths being odd and even when you inputted directly, you would have had to reset the box in order for it to detect there's only one line coming in. Don't know if you did that or not.

But I'd say if you have the HR-20 and the AT-9 or AU-9 dish, plus have outputs to your other receivers, the new WB68 multiswitch would be REQUIRED for your setup to work properly. Anything less and you're asking for trouble.. Good luck.

· Godfather
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good news.

Bypassed the multiswitch completely..........ran the HR20 lines directly to the dish, unplugged the multiswitch from power to make sure that other lines werent affecting it, and now Tuner 2 is rock solid like tuner 1.

Good to know I dont need a new HR20. Hopefully this thread can help out other people (I wasnt 100% sure about the switch being the issue, because Tuner 1 ran fine....so either my connections were loose before (which they werent) or the multiswitch really is the issue).

Now I just gotta get D* back here with a 6x8. Or Ill get one on Ebay I guess.

Actually......I notice there is a wiring diag floating around how to get 2 6x8 switches working. Can the same wiring be used to split only 2 of the incoming feeds, send those to the HR20, and then send 4 feeds to the old switch? I wonder if that would work (but probably harder to do and more expensive than the right switch anyway).

-Chris

· You make it, We break it
4,480 Posts
Unless you have more than 4 total dual tuner receivers, the single 6x8 switch is plenty. You'll take the 4 lines from the dish into the switch, then go 2 out for each receiver, including the HR-20.

· Godfather
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I meant to use the splitter setup so I could have 2 outputs directly from the dish to the HR20, and still have 4 inputs to feed the multiswitch so that my old receivers still work.

But alas its probably just cheaper and easier to get the correct switch. Ill try to get in touch with DirecTV to get one, but knowing them my appt will be a month from now.

-Chris

· Cool Member
24 Posts
My New Switch and Dish were both just installed. The problem with the 2nd Tuner jumping all over is fixed. The installer (He is the best I have ever had, actually knows what he is doing) says it was something with the switch. He says the new HR20 use "new setu" and he says they have problems wtih some Multiswitches. The new switch corrected the problem. Both tuners are now rock solid!

· Godfather
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Same here! DirecTV got someone out here today after I called yesterday. Granted its not hard to swap out a switch.

Overall I was quite impressed with both installers. The dish was installed very nicely, the only thing I sorta didnt like was no coax-seal on the butt connectors (they connected the new dish to my existing coax runs). Not a big deal, I can go up there and do it myself. Rained for 2 days here and no signal issues, so they should be good for now. The guy that added the switch said the 5x8 switches cause this issue. Im not sure how/why, but hey its fixed!!

Does anyone out there really know the insides of this box? It almost seems like they are "summing" the signals from both tuners......with the balky Tuner 2, some of my channels (XM was the easiest to notice) were cutting in and out. Wasnt recording anything, so I should have been on Tuner 1, which had a solid signal. Once Tuner 2 had a solid signal, everything works fine.

-Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.