DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Icon
1,072 Posts
I hope the HR-54 will get this update.
Had it happen a couple of times this weekend, too, on my HR-44, so I suspect it's already loaded on the HR-54.

·
Icon
1,072 Posts
What update did you get? It says 0x16db update on 6.23.
My current firmware version is 0x184c (a CE build), but as the initial report was made by someone likely not on a CE build, and the fact that all Genie HRs are now on the same NR, I'm guessing that the functionality is already there, whether or not activated. Obviously, there is no real way to test or verify without a weather/signal-blockage outage.

·
Icon
1,736 Posts
My current firmware version is 0x184c (a CE build), but as the initial report was made by someone likely not on a CE build, and the fact that all Genie HRs are now on the same NR, I'm guessing that the functionality is already there, whether or not activated. Obviously, there is no real way to test or verify without a weather/signal-blockage outage.
Cover your lnb.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,238 Posts
I have 0x16db on my HR54 and I have had several weather related outages over the past week. It never switched me over to broadband. I got the message I could watch the SD feed a few times but never anything about switching to broadband.
Its rolling out in the new cycle here you should get it within a week or two

·
Administrator
504 Posts
I can flip over to my OTA TiVo so I can still record & pause live TV on the networks. It'll be nice if they can get around the inability to do live video controls & recordings.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,238 Posts
I can flip over to my OTA TiVo so I can still record & pause live TV on the networks. It'll be nice if they can get around the inability to do live video controls & recordings.
Its got to have something to do with the way the Genie is buffering the content... Its a nice feature but they need to get around alot of the limitations

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Its limited to 3 streams also.. They need to get around that
It would be nice if it would just do it instead of a prompt asking if you want to. I mean who would not want to continue if they have the capability to keep watching? And if there are those that would not continue make that an option to not use internet streaming in settings somewhere. And also if it worked while recording something. I record more than I watch anything live so I always lose the recording when this happens. Oh well it is a step forward. Great for people that always watch live I guess.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,238 Posts
It would be nice if it would just do it instead of a prompt asking if you want to. I mean who would not want to continue if they have the capability to keep watching? And if there are those that would not continue make that an option to not use internet streaming in settings somewhere. And also if it worked while recording something. I record more than I watch anything live so I always lose the recording when this happens. Oh well it is a step forward. Great for people that always watch live I guess.
Yeh i dont get that either.. And there also appears to be a delay with the whole process while it loads.. Which by that time the weather event could be over

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,725 Posts
When we record programming off our DirecTV locals, we always use the integrated OTA -1 channels so weather doesn’t mess with recordings, no matter what model IRD we are using.

With limits of 3 streams, no trickplay and no recording on the Genie, they have some work to do. It’s a start anyways.

·
Administrator
504 Posts
If they could eliminate the rain fade issue with a seamless streaming backup for users with a strong internet connection, that would be pretty sweet. Ideally it would begin buffering the stream when a signal began to degrade and switch over with no loss of content.

·
Icon
2,703 Posts
While I agree that this would be nice for me, I would think that some people who have caps on their broadband service would be upset if a device automatically began using data every time that a satellite signal got lost. I keep my minis turned on 24/7. So, unless the minis reported back to the server that the TV that they are connected to is not currently in use, that would be a lot of streaming of content that isn't being watched. On the other hand, it would be really nice for this to be an automatic feature for content that it being recorded, especially live content (sports) that won't be repeated at a later time/date. Unfortunately, the streamed content can't be recorded. The DVR's act like a standard STB when streaming.

·
Icon
1,072 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts