DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Banned
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the last Customer Charlie Chat someone asked about Dish adding the West Coast feeds of many channels to the Dish Network lineup.

Charlie's answer was something to the effect of they currently carry the West Coast feeds that are available.

I said in the chat that Charlie was wrong about this one. And have sat down and found all the West Coast feeds which are being broadcast.

Here is my list of West Coast Channels that Dish Network does not currently offer.

1. Discovery West
2. BET West
3. HBO HD West
4. Hallmark West
5. Court TV West
6. TV Land West
7. E! West
8. Comedy Central West
9. TNN West
10. TNT West
11. USA West
12. Most of the Starz Encore West Channels
13. Most of the HBO West Channels
14. History Channel West
15. BBC America West
16. Toon Disney West
17. MTV West
18. Pax West
19. A&E West
20. ABC Family West
21. FX West

As you can clearly see there are more West Coast feeds then Charlie would have you believe.

If you could pick any 5 West Coast Channels to the Dish Network lineup which 5 would you pick?

G

·
... He also ( in a sense ) mentioned that's what PVRs are for.....Persomnally, I dont need duplicate channels (I'm on the west coast), I'd rather see new channels added (like the recent Nat Geo) and/or awesome PQ. There's enough duplication going on to ask for more of the same in exchange for PQ, IMHO. I agree on the additional VH1 channels not currenly carried as well as some of the adidtional premium channels not currenly carried (so we can see the the same movie even MORE times a day!!)

· Banned
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sam,

I hear what you are saying, (and agree with you) I am just trying to show that there are more West Coast channels available then what Charlie Says.

If I had to choose, I would pick.

USA
TNN
Comedy Central
E!
MTV

· Godfather
360 Posts
USA, TNN, Comedy Central, FX and TV Land. I want these. Charlie better do it. Is there a Lifetime West? I know PAX has one for each time zone.

G

·
I like TNNs programming, but I stopped watching it since they added that bar at the bottom of the screen that squishes everything so that it looks like a funhouse mirror, which to me is alot more annoying than the Nat Geo logo. I tried to watch Star Trek TNG on several occasions and Robot Wars, but simply cannot sit thru more than 30 seconds, so unfortunately, I feel a west coast feed of this would be a waste of bandwith (IMHO)

· Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
Well, I get History west, A&E west USA Network west, and ABC Family west by subscription to C band. Also get Hallmark west, FX west, Pax west, E! entertainment TV west and probably some others via Free Mpeg2 C band.

Not to mention, the Grand Rapids locals are in the clear on EchoStar 1 Tp 5 at 148 degrees. Even have the PAX/WB affiliate which apparently is not offered there, yet.
:hi:

· Banned
11,498 Posts
HBO Family West- only for competition reasons

· AllStar/Supporter
97 Posts
Being on the west coast i kinda like the fact that I get the east coast feeds. This allows me to pick the prime time shows off 3 hours early and they almost never conflict with shows I am trying to record off the local networks.

Now I know having booth feeds would give me even more options..but lets face it a lot of these channels prime time lineup is reapting the same 3 or 4 hour block twice a night..at least for History, Discovery, A&E, etc...

· Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
What I would like to see is a hybrid to lighten the 3am-7am (eastern) informercial barrage! It's something that Dish and Direct did with FX for a while (I think they still do--or perhaps it was a unique feed from FX but I doubt it). When the informercial blok began at 2am Dish and Direct would flick over to the west feed and carry that for 3 hours and then flick back to the east feed at 5am. Since FX had most of it's programming schedule on a 3 hour repeating schedule, the same thing could be done with Discovery, TLC, Pax, Hallmark, TNN, BET, Court TV and History Channel. All these channels have at least a 3 hour block of infomercials in the wee hours (easter) and starting at midnight on the west coast!

The remaining channels have unique schedules with real programming all night. Leave these alone.

The only problem with this plan is that it requires that the channels agree to this. Companies pay these cable channels for TV time based on potential viewers or on number of inqueries (calls) generated. It may be that it is more lucrative to have an infomercial that it would be to have "real" programming.

See ya
Tony

· Arcane Movie Trivia King
1,806 Posts
I WANT MY WEST COAST LOCALS BACK!!!!

...sorry...

· Hall Of Fame
1,660 Posts
Originally posted by TNGTony
What I would like to see is a hybrid to lighten the 3am-7am (eastern) informercial barrage! It's something that Dish and Direct did with FX for a while (I think they still do--or perhaps it was a unique feed from FX but I doubt it). When the informercial blok began at 2am Dish and Direct would flick over to the west feed and carry that for 3 hours and then flick back to the east feed at 5am. Since FX had most of it's programming schedule on a 3 hour repeating schedule, the same thing could be done with Discovery, TLC, Pax, Hallmark, TNN, BET, Court TV and History Channel. All these channels have at least a 3 hour block of infomercials in the wee hours (easter) and starting at midnight on the west coast!

The remaining channels have unique schedules with real programming all night. Leave these alone.

The only problem with this plan is that it requires that the channels agree to this. Companies pay these cable channels for TV time based on potential viewers or on number of inqueries (calls) generated. It may be that it is more lucrative to have an infomercial that it would be to have "real" programming.

See ya
Tony
I like that idea, unfortunately would the contracts that D* and E* have with these channels permit this?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.