DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don not have a satellite dish capable of receiving orbital slot [103] and you currently receive West Coast HD Distant Network Service, then you will lose access to this service soon.

From DIRECTV:
The channels are only in MPEG4 now. The upcoming change is moving from Triplesat orbital slot [119] to 5 LNB orbital slot [103] so people still on 3 LNB would lose the channels
[STRIKE]Very soon, the HD Distant Network Service (DNS) for the West Coast will only be in MPEG-4. As of today, both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 HD DNS broadcasts are available. However, soon only MPEG-4 HD DNS will be available.

There are some folks that still have MPEG-2 equipment (HR10-250, etc.) and/or an older dish (not Ka capable) and have West Coast HD DNS. If you fall into this category, then your HD DNS channels will go dark when the switch happens.

Newer receivers such as the HR2x HD DVRs or the H2x standalone receivers can decode MPEG-4. Those receivers will continue to work as expected.[/STRIKE] You can check to see if your box is ready or not by tuning to channel 480. If you see the message:
Correct HD Dish setup. 103 B-Band Odd (13V).
then you are in good shape. If you do not see this, please first verify your dish configuration in the Satellite setup screens and then check channel 480 again. If you still do not see the message above, then you will need to call DIRECTV to get the problem corrected.

EDIT: After getting some new information, I have updated this post to reflect the correct information.

· Registered
24,401 Posts
Ah, say what? MPEG-2 HD DNS West Coast? They are MPEG-4 now... I can't get them on my HD TIVO anywhere... Does this mean that they are moving off of 119 and 110 to 99 or 103? They made MPEG-4 last March 31, as I recall....

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
inkahauts said:
Ah, say what? MPEG-2 HD DNS West Coast? They are MPEG-4 now... I can't get them on my HD TIVO anywhere... Does this mean that they are moving off of 119 and 110 to 99 or 103? They made MPEG-4 last March 31, as I recall....
JohnH said:
81, 83, 87 and 89 have been gone from my IPG for a long time.
The West cost HD DNS has been dual illuminated @ 390s .. The MPEG-2 will be turned off later this month leaving only the MPEG-4.

· Registered
24,401 Posts
Doug Brott said:
The West cost HD DNS has been dual illuminated @ 390s .. The MPEG-2 will be turned off later this month leaving only the MPEG-4.
I was under the impression those channels (DNS feeds in HD in the 390's) are MPEG-4... as was stated in March, and I CAN NOT get them on my HR10-250, built can on my HR2X's....

I know for a fact when they first launched (the channels in the 390's) they were MPEG-4 from 103c... and then they where moved to 119 and 110 when they shut off the MPEG-2 versions in the 80's on March 31, 2008... (I posted about a really weird signal issue I was having that proved that they where coming from 103c and transponder 17 I think it was, and that the LIL for LA where coming in on spotbeam, and that the channels in the 80's where also from a different sat, before March 31, 2008))

From what threads then said, they where moved to 110 and 119 in MPEG-4 so that MDUs could finish being upgraded to MF-2 systems. If they made that move for the 390's only, why did they become MPEG-2 and why can't my HR10-250 pick them, up?

See this thread....
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=115978&highlight=West+coast+DNS

and post 6 attachment on this one...

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=120804&highlight=march+31,+2008

Does anyone on this board get the channels in the 390's with MPEG-2 only equipment? I don't know anyone who can...

What does dual illuminated mean? Is that saying that they are running an MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 HD feed to those channels at the same time, kind of like they do with HD and SD channels?

· Hall Of Fame
1,302 Posts
Great news. This way I'll only have 6 search results for every network show instead of 8. Never mind that only one of those results is of any interest. Fixing "Channels I Get" is better that turning off channels I don't want, but heck, at this point I'll take anything that cuts down on the clutter.

· Legend
103 Posts
minorthr said:
I dont know about west coast but they cut my east coast feeds off last week.
Not authorized messages vs. being completely off the satellite are completely different issues. East Coast HD-DNS is alive and well at the moment for qualified customers.

· Legend
177 Posts
BGreen965 said:
Not authorized messages vs. being completely off the satellite are completely different issues. East Coast HD-DNS is alive and well at the moment for qualified customers.
I'm well aware of that. They just disappeared last week with no notice, but I have not had a chance to call them and find out why.

· Godfather
525 Posts
kevinwmsn said:
Is Sixto's post timetable accurate?

http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1775605&postcount=299

End Dates for Mpeg2 HD

9/7/2008: NFL SUNDAY TICKET SuperFan
9/17/2008: LA HD Locals & West Coast DNS Locals
11/12/2008: HBO, Showtime, Universal HD, HD Net Movies
1/14/2009: ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, HD Net, HD Theater
3/18/2009: NY HD Locals & East Coast DNS Locals
I guess they kept SuperFan mpeg2 for the free preview DirecT had...

· Godfather
525 Posts
MIAMI1683 said:
This is a good sign in the prgression towrd MPEG4 only. Sorry to those who like thier older equipment. The more bandwith D* has. The better the pic. qualtiy
It would be nice if this does free up space... for HD stuff...

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
I have it on good authority that Superfan was MPEG-4 during the first weekend. Not having it, I can't tell you.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
inkahauts said:
I was under the impression those channels (DNS feeds in HD in the 390's) are MPEG-4... as was stated in March, and I CAN NOT get them on my HR10-250, built can on my HR2X's....
Thanks for the push :) .. I requalified my requalification and got back some better information. You are indeed correct, there is NO MPEG-2 .. however, there is an important fact that still needs to be delivered.

The channels are only in MPEG4 now. The upcoming change is moving from Triplesat orbital slot [119] to 5 LNB orbital slot [103] so people still on 3 LNB would lose the channels
I'll make the update to the 1st post and the title now.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.