DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Legend
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
West Coasters, please post reports of how the new software release, and OTA in particular, is working out. Would love to hear how the HR20 tuner compares to the HR10-250 (which was so bad it gave me fits and is why I was an early adopter with the HR20), and whether there are any recording or to do list scheduling glitches.

Thanks in advance!

·
DBSTalk Club Member
268 Posts
greenwave said:
West Coasters, please post reports of how the new software release, and OTA in particular, is working out. Would love to hear how the HR20 tuner compares to the HR10-250 (which was so bad it gave me fits and is why I was an early adopter with the HR20), and whether there are any recording or to do list scheduling glitches.

Thanks in advance!
Posted this in the other thread, but for some reason I'm seeing almost no signal on my OTA tuner 1 while seeing 70-100% signals on my Tuner 2. No explanation as yet, and I'm not sure how it would be under my control seeing as how there's only one antenna connector and the splitter is internal.

And since it seems to look at OTA tuner 1 first, I'm actually only able to view one of my OTA channels - the rest show a "Searching for signal on the off-air tuner (771)" message.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
268 Posts
Meklos said:
If you tell it to record something on 1, can you surf on 2?
Good call. Yes. So why isn't my #1 tuner working? Software related or hardware?

Also little thing to note: remember to add the OTA channels to your custom channel guide so they'll appear :)

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
I havent gotten it yet so I can't see it, but is it possible those signal strengths jump around depending on what you're asking the HR-20 to do? i.e. if you're recording from the Sat and watching OTA, does your Sat show you 1 tuner is lower or not being acquired, and vice versa. Since you now have effectively 4 tuner inputs and 2 outputs, is it just the receiver showing you how it's managing its 2 outputs? Just a thought.

EDIT: i.e. try recording 2 OTAs at once and then look at the signals.

·
Legend
137 Posts
Anyone in the San Diego area that pulls in the Mexican stations report if Directv finds them in the primary or secondary market of San Diego.

I get 3 high def stations out of mexico (usually just watch soccer).

Just worried Directv filters out non-US stations. My old SIR-TS160 gets them fine with an indoor antenna.

·
Mentor
39 Posts
The HR20 works as well as the HR10 in OTA tuning.
Here in Los Angeles it found 50 stations, 18 main with 1,2,4,or 5 sub channels
On the left side of the guide the main channel number is blue while OTA channel numbers are gray
Otherwise no problems

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
masmith said:
I am in Oregon and mine is not active yet. I have reset it already. What do I need to do?
Wait...the release is just a small subset of the West coast at this point. Don't feel bad, those of us in the midwest won't see it until next Monday or later. If you are not in the defined release area, you cannot force an update...it will say it's getting it, but it will just download the firmware you are currently authorized for (the prior version). There really isn't any alternative but to monitor the forum and and then wait for it to come.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,060 Posts
C'mon West Coasters -- give us a clue. If it makes you happy, tell us. If you have problems, tell us. We who are on the East coast may have a week to fuss and wonder. Help us out, please!

(Earl, I volunteer for the early tester program. In an former life I was an early tester for OS/2 (what?) and Windows. I can take the pain! Hurt me, hurt me!)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
richlife said:
C'mon West Coasters -- give us a clue. If it makes you happy, tell us. If you have problems, tell us. We who are on the East coast may have a week to fuss and wonder. Help us out, please!

(Earl, I volunteer for the early tester program. In an former life I was an early tester for OS/2 (what?) and Windows. I can take the pain! Hurt me, hurt me!)
Well,

I think it's obvious this baby's ready to roll Nationally. Don't you? :allthumbs

·
Legend
205 Posts
I was wondering how the tuner in the HR20 compares with the tuner in the H20 model. Reson why I ask I have the H20 for about a year now and the OTA reception/signal strength is great. I had a HR20 activated last night ran great for about3 hours then blew up basically.First the HDMI went blank,then heard a loud " POP" and started smelling smoke !!!!!!!!!!:eek:
Anyway back to my question after my short rant,can anyone advise how good the OTA/tuner{s} compare with the H20????

By the way D* put a replacement in the mail today said I should have it in 2 days,and then shall try again.Thanks for the feedback.

·
Icon
968 Posts
Just got home and set-up my OTA. Everything went very smoothly with set-up.

There are a ton of OTA channels in LA. I checked the signals on all of them. (This is for reference for other LA people.) Most were 70+%. Some were in the 30-40 range, although they seem to come in just fine when I tune to them. Only 1 (channel 24, didn't check where the antenna for it is yet) did not come in. For reference, I'm in an apartment with a shared antenna on the roof.

I flipped around the channels for a couple minutes. I love the clarity, especially on PBS. Haven't done much of a comparison between MPEG4 and OTA locals for PQ yet, since the Pistons and Red Wings are both on right now.

Channel changing time seems about the same as before, maybe slightly quicker.

I'll be around for another hour or so if people have specific questions. Otherwise, I'll check back tomorrow. Hopefully it goes national soon, so you can all see it for yourself.

·
Legend
112 Posts
Hi All:

Just finished setting up my OTA stations here in L.A. CAN REPORT THAT THE HR20 IS A VERY SENSITIVE TUNER. I was able to lock on to stations my old Sony HD-100 could never get, including KCAL-DT!. In all, after completing the scan, I was given about 25 stations which were within acceptable signal ranges...for me, a signal reading greater that 50%, although I probably could lock on signals less than this. Granted, many of these digital stations in the L.A. area are hispanic or asian stations or have content I'm not interested in, but the HR20 pulled in many, many more stations than I thought possible.

My reception from Mt. Wilson in L.A. is somewhat blocked by mountains, but this was not a problem this evening. I attribute this to: (A) the fact I "undiplexed" my OTA line from the satellite when the HR20 was installed; (B) the superior OTA reception of the HR20; and (C) a clear, quiet (non-windy) evening here in L.A.

I have never been able to receive KABC-DT at my home, not with the Sony or now with the HR20. This is due to the truely pathetic transmission power of their antenna on Mt. Wilson. However, the greatest "win" tonight was re-establishing digital contact with our PBS station here in L.A. - KCET. I'm a member and they have several outstanding Christmas specials coming up in HD that I didn't want to miss - thank you DirecTV!!

Don't want to go on and on.....but I had the HR20 installed within one week of its availability in L.A. Sure, I had some initial issues with the unit, but they have resolved themselves. I can only report that the OTA function is rock solid, as of this evening. Later, I will do some recording, but I do know that all of the "trick play" features of the unit will work with your OTA stations. I know this because I tested it.

I recommend that before you accept all of the digital stations that are in your DMA into the program guide that you test the signal strength of each station, as Earl suggests. This will save you time and effort later on. I will be doing some editing of the OTA stations in my favorites guide setup (don't forget this step!) either tonight or tomorrow. But so far, so good. BTW, both OTA tuners indicated nearly identical signal strengths for each station.

·
Icon
714 Posts
DeanS said:
Hi All:

Just finished setting up my OTA stations here in L.A. CAN REPORT THAT THE HR20 IS A VERY SENSITIVE TUNER. I was able to lock on to stations my old Sony HD-100 could never get, including KCAL-DT!. In all, after completing the scan, I was given about 25 stations which were within acceptable signal ranges...for me, a signal reading greater that 50%, although I probably could lock on signals less than this. Granted, many of these digital stations in the L.A. area are hispanic or asian stations or have content I'm not interested in, but the HR20 pulled in many, many more stations than I thought possible.

My reception from Mt. Wilson in L.A. is somewhat blocked by mountains, but this was not a problem this evening. I attribute this to: (A) the fact I "undiplexed" my OTA line from the satellite when the HR20 was installed; (B) the superior OTA reception of the HR20; and (C) a clear, quiet (non-windy) evening here in L.A.

I have never been able to receive KABC-DT at my home, not with the Sony or now with the HR20. This is due to the truely pathetic transmission power of their antenna on Mt. Wilson. However, the greatest "win" tonight was re-establishing digital contact with our PBS station here in L.A. - KCET. I'm a member and they have several outstanding Christmas specials coming up in HD that I didn't want to miss - thank you DirecTV!!

Don't want to go on and on.....but I had the HR20 installed within one week of its availability in L.A. Sure, I had some initial issues with the unit, but they have resolved themselves. I can only report that the OTA function is rock solid, as of this evening. Later, I will do some recording, but I do know that all of the "trick play" features of the unit will work with your OTA stations. I know this because I tested it.

I recommend that before you accept all of the digital stations that are in your DMA into the program guide that you test the signal strength of each station, as Earl suggests. This will save you time and effort later on. I will be doing some editing of the OTA stations in my favorites guide setup (don't forget this step!) either tonight or tomorrow. But so far, so good. BTW, both OTA tuners indicated nearly identical signal strengths for each station.
Sounds like this thing is ready to roll. I am on the west coast but haven't received it. I actually don't care if it is rock solid. Just give it to me. Remind me how to do a forced download?

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Dusty said:
Sounds like this thing is ready to roll. I am on the west coast but haven't received it. I actually don't care if it is rock solid. Just give it to me. Remind me how to do a forced download?
Likely won't do you any good. If you didn't get it, you probably can't force it yet.

To try: reboot (either red button or from setup menu) then press 0 2 4 6 8 at the first welcome screen.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Legend
132 Posts
Meklos said:
If you tell it to record something on 1, can you surf on 2?
How does one tell the HR20 to record on tuner 1?
Will a single recording always try to use tuner 1?
If one was watching tuner 1, wouldn't the HR20 try to use tuner 2 to record?
Is there a way to explicitly choose a tuner for recording?
Is there a way to see what tuner you are viewing?

·
Legend
132 Posts
mrshermanoaks said:
Good call. Yes. So why isn't my #1 tuner working? Software related or hardware?
If it was software, they would not have released it. Sounds like you have a bad tuner. If a reset, doesn't fix it, call D* and ask for a replacement.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.