DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Godfather
Joined
·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to be patient but this box is a joke. I've had it for a month now. The first one was locking up so they sent me a new one. The second one does the same thing. Why should they even bother sending me a third. My box constantly locks up. Three or four time a night, and that's in a two hour time frame at the most. I put the remote down and two minutes later pick it up to change a channel or surf around and the DVR is locked up. I'm so sick of getting up and doing a red a button reset. I still have the HR10-250 and that's works great. My wife watches that one on the bedroom, she wants no part of my headaches with the new box. I know it's only t.v. and not the end of the world but for God's sake can you put out a box that you can watch for more than 20 minutes without having to reset it. I'll wait for the next upgrade to see if that helps but I'm not optimistic that it's going to do much. I'll disconnect this piece of crap and throw it in the closet. So I get 5 local channels in HD now and box that doesn't work half the time. Not worth it. It's garbage!! Don't buy it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
Just as a reference, did you ever try taking the b-band converters off the sat inputs on the HR20 to see if that improved the situation?
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
Was your AT-9 dish part of the initial install, or did you have it in place before hand? Do you have a multiswitch installed?

Are you using HDMI or component connections?

Do you have the unit installed in a cabinent where it could be over heating?
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
btmoore said:
Have you sacrificed a chicken to your HR20?
I believe the HR20 gods require much more than a chicken to become appeased. I gave them a whole chicken family as well as a sheep and my box has worked very well.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Was your AT-9 dish part of the initial install, or did you have it in place before hand? Do you have a multiswitch installed?

Are you using HDMI or component connections?

Do you have the unit installed in a cabinent where it could be over heating?
Earl, I've had the BBC's on and off a half dozen times. Doesn't seem to make a difference. I upgraded antenna's from the 3LNB to the 5LNB when they brought out the HR20-700. I've switched from HDMI to component to see if that would stop the lockups. No luck. The unit is very well ventilated. Nothing on top and plenty of breathing room on both sides. I'm just at a loss and it's really frustrating. My box is just so tempermental. Push a few buttons here and there on the remote and there it goes. Locked up. Three or four a night. Probably more if I sat and tried to watch any longer. What more can I tell you?

Samsung HLR5078W DLP
Marantz 7500 7.1 Reciever
HR10-250
HR20-700
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
I know its frustrating when you feel that all you want to do is watch a little TV and maybe play around with some of the features you purchased the HR20 for.

That said, I'm not sure you should toss it into your closet. There are some very good suggestions made by both PoitNarf and Earl; you should try removing the B Converters. That seemed to help others. If you're hooked through HDMI, then you really should move to component video. It can't hurt to try.

Hopefully this week, we're all going to see an improvement with a new release.

Oh well, I was late with my post. I guess I type too slow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
Italfra1 said:
Earl, I've had the BBC's on and off a half dozen times. Doesn't seem to make a difference. I upgraded antenna's from the 3LNB to the 5LNB when they brought out the HR20-700. I've switched from HDMI to component to see if that would stop the lockups. No luck. The unit is very well ventilated. Nothing on top and plenty of breathing room on both sides. I'm just at a loss and it's really frustrating. My box is just so tempermental. Push a few buttons here and there on the remote and there it goes. Locked up. Three or four a night. Probably more if I sat and tried to watch any longer. What more can I tell you?

Samsung HLR5078W DLP
Marantz 7500 7.1 Reciever
HR10-250
HR20-700
Sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience :(
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
Italfra1 said:
Earl, I've had the BBC's on and off a half dozen times. Doesn't seem to make a difference. I upgraded antenna's from the 3LNB to the 5LNB when they brought out the HR20-700. I've switched from HDMI to component to see if that would stop the lockups. No luck. The unit is very well ventilated. Nothing on top and plenty of breathing room on both sides. I'm just at a loss and it's really frustrating. My box is just so tempermental. Push a few buttons here and there on the remote and there it goes. Locked up. Three or four a night. Probably more if I sat and tried to watch any longer. What more can I tell you?

Samsung HLR5078W DLP
Marantz 7500 7.1 Reciever
HR10-250
HR20-700
Have you tried a full system format? It is not a popular choice, but others have had success... and no it is not something you should "have" to do... but..

When you are having problems are they primarily recorded programs, or live programming.... also is your sat line properly grounded.

I ask that one, as there was just a post today... that when a third installer came out, he noticed the sat signal wasn't grounded... and once they grounded all the problems where gone.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PoitNarf said:
Sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience :(
How's your's working? Are you getting the lockups or just some of the other bugs that I've been reading about? Are you happy with this thing or have you just accepted that this is what you deal with when you sign up early to get one of these. Thx.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
Italfra1 said:
How's your's working? Are you getting the lockups or just some of the other bugs that I've been reading about? Are you happy with this thing or have you just accepted that this is what you deal with when you sign up early to get one of these. Thx.
With the exception of experiencing many of the minor bugs, mine has been working fine. It has locked up several times in the earlier builds, but it was from things I specifically did; never locked up just from watching without inputing commands. As to how happy I am (pretty happy so far), we'll see what the next update brings.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Have you tried a full system format? It is not a popular choice, but others have had success... and no it is not something you should "have" to do... but..

When you are having problems are they primarily recorded programs, or live programming.... also is your sat line properly grounded.

I ask that one, as there was just a post today... that when a third installer came out, he noticed the sat signal wasn't grounded... and once they grounded all the problems where gone.
This is my second box and I don't believe I've tried a full system format. If that means resetting the hard drive. I have my wishlist all set up and a month of recorded programs that I guess I'll lose if I reformat the hard drive. A few weeks ago it seemed like my lockups were mainly on HD MPEG 2 live and recorded programs but now it seems like it doesn't matter. Happens on SD, MPEG2 and MPEG4.

I guess I could go up on my roof tomorrow to see if the sat. is properly grounded. D* told me in a conversation that they are not sending out techs for these problems because they are aware of the problems and working hard to resolve them. I even have the protection plan but they've credited me plenty lately. What more can I tell you. Thx.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
Don't go climbing the roof just yet.

DirecTV is making the decision very soon about the next release (based on their testing feedback)... the next update is comming very soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
Italfra1.....I'm sorry for your problems; and I know if was having constant problems, I might feel exactly like you. Mine is working ok....I have weeks of absolutely flawless performance; then out of the blue I've gotten the lock-ups you describe where the only fix is a red button reset.

So, all I can say is that I am relatively happy; I wish I could be 100% happy. I do believe that everything will be ok, soon.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PoitNarf said:
With the exception of experiencing many of the minor bugs, mine has been working fine. It has locked up several times in the earlier builds, but it was from things I specifically did; never locked up just from watching without inputing commands. As to how happy I am (pretty happy so far), we'll see what the next update brings.
Glad to hear your happy. I'm just venting a bit. Trying to find anwers but also losing my patience. I want to like this box, honestly. I like a lot of things about it and I'm getting used to finding my way around this thing. I even the nice remote that's backlit. Really nice at night. If I didn't have the lockups, I honestly wouldn't have a complaint. I keep reading posts about lost recordings, things deleted, programs not recorded when they should have and all these othere things. Mine has done everything I've asked it do but it's the lockups that are killing me. Maybe the next upgrade will solve my problems. Thx.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
340 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Don't go climbing the roof just yet.

DirecTV is making the decision very soon about the next release (based on their testing feedback)... the next update is comming very soon.
There's that word again. But this time it is preceeded by a "very". TONIGHT!!!:D
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Don't go climbing the roof just yet.

DirecTV is making the decision very soon about the next release (based on their testing feedback)... the next update is comming very soon.
I'm hanging in there Earl. Trying to stay positive but I guess I need to blow off some steam tonight. I'm going to retire and see how my HR20 treats me tonight. I've already reset it once earlier and that led me to this thread. Thx.
 
1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top