DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live 60 miles outside of Columbus, Ohio. My local cable offers Columbus network channels, but for some reason I was not able to get those through Dish even though it is local for me and Dish does broadcast network channels from Columbus. Apparently I live in an area where I am not allowed to get Columbus network channels over Dish, but YAY, I was allowed to get Distant Network channels. Ok so I've been getting Distants until now. I understand the deal and it is out of Dish' hands for now.

Anyway, how nice it was to hear Charlie say that most customers affected by Distant Network injunction would be able to get a free OTA antenna from Dish!

So this sounds great, I call Dish, and lo and behold they tell me that I am not eligible to receive the free OTA antenna!! They say I wouldn't be able to pick up any of the Columbus channels, as well as my LOCAL (within 5 miles) NBC channel.... so that's why I'm not eligible for their OTA antenna! LOL!! WTH???

Even though my little 15-year old 13 inch TV with standard rabbit ears can pick up local NBC quite well, and channel 6 and channel 10 barely comes in with snow, Dish sure seems positive I won't be able to pick up any networks at all even if using a better antenna they could offer. Shouldn't Dish offer a high powered antenna to it's affected customers for free? I mean come on! Where's the customer *support*? I don't feel supported at all...

Let me cap what I've said. I couldn't get my Columbus network channels, so I have to go for Distants, then I can't even get their OTA antenna because some Dish imbecile at customer support decided an antenna wouldn't be able to pick up any of the OTA channels. BULLCRAP!

Really, this is the final culmination of piss poor service puts the icing on the cake with these people over a long period of service. You would think Dish would *strive* to get OTA antennas out to their affected customers, but noooooo, I wouldn't be able to pick any of those local network channels up anyway... unbelievable....

I have confirmed that Time Warner Cable is coming down my little old country road next spring, and the first chance I get I will be kissing Dish goooooooooodbye and astalavista punks! Welcome high speed internet, digital cable with HD, LOCAL NETWORKS, and phone all rolled into one. YES! Kiss my booty Dish punks!

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate your help, but I do not want crappy quality networks from a C-band satellite company.

I was actually psyched that Dish might be installing a HD antenna because Columbus channel 10 CBS and channel 4 NBC is broadcasting OTA in HD!!!

Imagine the pain, when I go to my friends house 2 miles down the road and watch Columbus networks in HD. With local news and events.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,190 Posts
Appreciate your help, but I do not want crappy quality networks from a C-band satellite company.
Huh? How can you say that the DNS from AllAmericanDirect is crappy since the DBS version of their service just started? It's not like they are going to put up a 10' C band dish in your yard - they are using E*'s satellites and transpondes in a deal similar to the Sky Angel deal (this is actually a crafty end run around the injunction).

·
Hall Of Fame
1,804 Posts
Zanesville, OH should be part of the Columbus DMA despite having WHIZ 18 as an NBC affiliate. I don't think that the Nielsen ratings for WHIZ are greater than all the other Columbus stations combined.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Link said:
Zanesville, OH should be part of the Columbus DMA despite having WHIZ 18 as an NBC affiliate. I don't think that the Nielsen ratings for WHIZ are greater than all the other Columbus stations combined.
Wouldn't that be great if it were so. But I'm apparently in some gray area which I cannot be offered local networks. But that's a different issue. I've already been there done that.

·
Legend
192 Posts
fscot55 said:
I was actually psyched that Dish might be installing a HD antenna because Columbus channel 10 CBS and channel 4 NBC is broadcasting OTA in HD!!!
An HD antenna as opposed to what other kind of antenna?

Additionally, I'm surprised that you expect Echostar to just ship everybody an antenna and come install it. There really are some places where an antenna just won't work, and those calculations are based solely on distance... so their calculations say you're just too far away.

Oh, sure, they could send someone out to do signal strength measurements for you... but I get the impression that you're one of those who expects Dish Network to give you whatever is necessary to get perfect reception, at no cost to you, regardless of their cost. And I'm pretty sure that nobody would be able to satisfy you.

Sometimes, there just isn't a solution, at least not one that is reasonable in terms of time and money, and yes, it sucks that you may be in one of those situations.

This is one of those times where I would say, if it were up to me, "I'm sorry we can't help you on the terms you demand. Good luck, and I hope you are more satisfied by another service."

·
Legend
164 Posts
fscot55 said:

Imagine the pain, when I go to my friends house 2 miles down the road and watch Columbus networks in HD. With local news and events.
:confused: Am I missing something?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
fscot55 said:
I live 60 miles outside of Columbus, Ohio. My local cable offers Columbus network channels, but for some reason I was not able to get those through Dish even though it is local for me and Dish does broadcast network channels from Columbus. Apparently I live in an area where I am not allowed to get Columbus network channels over Dish, but YAY, I was allowed to get Distant Network channels. Ok so I've been getting Distants until now. I understand the deal and it is out of Dish' hands for now.

Anyway, how nice it was to hear Charlie say that most customers affected by Distant Network injunction would be able to get a free OTA antenna from Dish!

So this sounds great, I call Dish, and lo and behold they tell me that I am not eligible to receive the free OTA antenna!! They say I wouldn't be able to pick up any of the Columbus channels, as well as my LOCAL (within 5 miles) NBC channel.... so that's why I'm not eligible for their OTA antenna! LOL!! WTH???

Even though my little 15-year old 13 inch TV with standard rabbit ears can pick up local NBC quite well, and channel 6 and channel 10 barely comes in with snow, Dish sure seems positive I won't be able to pick up any networks at all even if using a better antenna they could offer. Shouldn't Dish offer a high powered antenna to it's affected customers for free? I mean come on! Where's the customer *support*? I don't feel supported at all...

Let me cap what I've said. I couldn't get my Columbus network channels, so I have to go for Distants, then I can't even get their OTA antenna because some Dish imbecile at customer support decided an antenna wouldn't be able to pick up any of the OTA channels. BULLCRAP!

Really, this is the final culmination of piss poor service puts the icing on the cake with these people over a long period of service. You would think Dish would *strive* to get OTA antennas out to their affected customers, but noooooo, I wouldn't be able to pick any of those local network channels up anyway... unbelievable....

I have confirmed that Time Warner Cable is coming down my little old country road next spring, and the first chance I get I will be kissing Dish goooooooooodbye and astalavista punks! Welcome high speed internet, digital cable with HD, LOCAL NETWORKS, and phone all rolled into one. YES! Kiss my booty Dish punks!
Have you looked at antennaweb.org to find out how far your OTA stations are? BTW Dish has no reason to give you a free antenna if these are not easy to pickup. In fact no sat company has ever given me a free antenna why should they give you one? Reason that sat co's don't give away free antennas is that so many different situations mean that they need so many different types of antenna it would be very cost prohibitive to stock them all.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
whatchel1 said:
BTW Dish has no reason to give you a free antenna if these are not easy to pickup. In fact no sat company has ever given me a free antenna why should they give you one?
Because Charlie said so?

See this would not be an issue, if Charlie hadn't said, "we will make every effort to get antenna's out to those affected customers..."

Otherwise, I wouldn't be pissing and moaning. But this is just another example of how Dish says one thing and does hardly another to actually back up those promises. Words, words, words... keep speaking Charles.

Additionally, I'm surprised that you expect Echostar to just ship everybody an antenna and come install it. There really are some places where an antenna just won't work, and those calculations are based solely on distance... so their calculations say you're just too far away.
Just the affected customers. Charlie said those affected, not every customer, just people like me.

So, depsite the fact that I know for a fact, and I can prove it with freakin low-budget rabbit ears, that a good antenna professionally installed by Dish would pull in at least 3 network stations.

So why would Dish want to make every effort to service their customers?

That's a good question because Dish certainly doesn't know the answer. They want to blow me off? That's A-OK with me, I'll be gone in the spring anyway.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you looked at antennaweb.org
Just did this from my address and it shows I can pick up NBC,CBS,PBS,ABC,TBN, about 12 stations in all. FOr 6 of those I'd have to use the purple antenna, but the rest are closer with yellow,green, and blue.

·
Icon
1,029 Posts
I guess I am a little surprised that you do not have an outdoor antenna already. Local HD signals have always been available OTA before they are available on either Dish, Direct or Cable. Seems like you are straining at a gnat on this one. Go see what antenna your neighbor has and put one up. Seems you could put this whole thing to rest and then if it makes more sense to change from Dish to Cable or Direct, at least you can make the best decision. I cannot imagine that Dish is going to be giving out $50 antennas. When I installed my OTA antenna, I purchased one that I knew had the gain and directional pattern to be able to pull in every signal I wanted. I have been happily watching HD since the first signals went on the air in the SFO Bay Area.

..Doyle

·
Icon
522 Posts
Yea Gads!

How can a company make policy that doesn't make every customer happy?

Clearly, they need to set up a separate company, to install TV antennas, amplifiers, and rotators, so that customers can get local channels.

Next thin you know, Dish will refuse to supply new TVs if your present one dies.

Bob

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,450 Posts
I read on a forum somewhere where someone is getting something for free. I want it for free too; I don't care if I can't use it. I'm really annoyed with DirecTV because they won't let Dish Network subscribers participate in their free DVR program.

I guess it comes down to whether they offered you a free antenna or not. If they didn't, you shouldn't expect one.

·
Icon
916 Posts
fscot55 said:
Because Charlie said so?

See this would not be an issue, if Charlie hadn't said, "we will make every effort to get antenna's out to those affected customers..."

Otherwise, I wouldn't be pissing and moaning. But this is just another example of how Dish says one thing and does hardly another to actually back up those promises. Words, words, words... keep speaking Charles.

Just the affected customers. Charlie said those affected, not every customer, just people like me.

So, depsite the fact that I know for a fact, and I can prove it with freakin low-budget rabbit ears, that a good antenna professionally installed by Dish would pull in at least 3 network stations.

So why would Dish want to make every effort to service their customers?

That's a good question because Dish certainly doesn't know the answer. They want to blow me off? That's A-OK with me, I'll be gone in the spring anyway.
Might I ask why you just don't go out and buy one? Since you will not have to pay the $6 a month local fee that we all pay I'm sure you can afford a decent one... if an el-cheapo set of rabbit ears work then it sounds like you'r all set.

-JB

P.S. How about you pay $6 per month (like us) and maybe then Dish will come out and install a professional setup for you. The $6, of course, will cover their expenses if the install, equipment and upkeep and, of course, they will rip it down when or if you cancel service :)

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jrb531 said:
Might I ask why you just don't go out and buy one? Since you will not have to pay the $6 a month local fee that we all pay I'm sure you can afford a decent one... if an el-cheapo set of rabbit ears work then it sounds like you'r all set.

-JB

P.S. How about you pay $6 per month (like us) and maybe then Dish will come out and install a professional setup for you. The $6, of course, will cover their expenses if the install, equipment and upkeep and, of course, they will rip it down when or if you cancel service :)
I'd love to do that. So when Charlie says they will try and get antenna's out to the affected customers, this means nothing? So he can basically make whatever promises he wants to affected customers, but not actually implement them? I guess I'm confused.

·
Icon
599 Posts
oldave said:
There really are some places where an antenna just won't work, and those calculations are based solely on distance...
So when an antenna won't work, as you're too far away, and your outside the area for another city's locals, you get 'distant networks'. Oh wait.... Dish screwed eligible customers with their policy.

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
If your not happy with Dish then cancel and go somewhere else!!! If you want to keep your dish and get an antenna Radio Shack sells one for $30 that works great you just have to put out a little effort to hook it up. Dish puts out a good product at a reasonable price. Especially when you compare it to some of the cable company offerings.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
What ever happened to the rugged, self-reliant American male? Are some of you
guys so pussy-whipped that you're no longer capable of thinking like a man? It's
not manly to whine and ***** because E* won't give you some crappy, el cheapo
antenna for free. Get a grip!

Be a man -- go out and kill your own damn antenna and proudly mount it way up
high on the peak of your roof for every one to see. Tell the world that you're not a
wimp -- you are a REAL red-blooded, antenna-totin' AMERICAN male, by God!

Sheesh! :rolleyes:

There, I feel much better now. :p

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.