DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping for a receiver that has HDMI passthrough and have heard there are some that do not work with the HR20. I am considering all the top brands Denon, Pioneer, Harmon Kardon, Onkyo, etc. Does anybody have one they recommend for under $500?

· AllStar
93 Posts
TimmyDforMVP said:
I am shopping for a receiver that has HDMI passthrough and have heard there are some that do not work with the HR20. I am considering all the top brands Denon, Pioneer, Harmon Kardon, Onkyo, etc. Does anybody have one they recommend for under $500?
If you're willing to go just over $500, I just got the Onkyo TX-SR674 (about $550-ish if you shop around). It's working great with my HR-20 and Panasonic plasma, and it even up-converts non-HDMI components (like my DVD (component) and VCR (composite)) up to HDMI, so there's just one cable running to the plasma. I just set it up today (literally), so I don't know if there are any hiccups waiting for me down the road, but everything seems to be working great now.

· Godfather
290 Posts
TimmyDforMVP said:
I don't know a whole lot about A/V receivers. But a friend that I trust, highly recommended the Sony DG800, it does have the HDMI pass-through. It cost around $400.

Sounds great with my Boston Accustic speakers. I have it hooked to the HR20, a DVD player, a CD player and my TV. It picks up the DD signal from all sources without a problem. The surround sound is great!

I like it a lot, haven't had one problem.

· Registered
5,530 Posts
FrankD1 said:
If you're willing to go just over $500, I just got the Onkyo TX-SR674 (about $550-ish if you shop around). It's working great with my HR-20 and Panasonic plasma, and it even up-converts non-HDMI components (like my DVD (component) and VCR (composite)) up to HDMI, so there's just one cable running to the plasma. I just set it up today (literally), so I don't know if there are any hiccups waiting for me down the road, but everything seems to be working great now.
There have been reports of several Denons and Onkyos not working with the H20, and a few not working with the HR20. Not heard of any problems with Pioneer, H-K; thought the same about Yamaha but today saw a post suggesting a problem with the HR20 and a Yamaha receiver.

· AllStar
75 Posts
FrankD1 said:
I have the TX-SR604 right now, but haven't tried it with an HDMI cable. I do love the upconverting, though. Very convenient. I'm looking forward to trying an HDMI cable, but I'm content with waiting for a good deal. The newegg deal sounds tempting.

· AllStar
59 Posts
I just received the new Sony STR-DA3200ES. It comes with two HDMI inputs and one output (pass-through of up to 1080P). I’ve had it now for about two weeks and so far it has worked flawlessly with my HR20. This receiver is not inexpensive, it cost me approximately 900 dollars. Now granted you should be able to find receivers that do this for less but I just wanted to let you know that this receiver does indeed work fine with the HR20.

eluuapo79, yes that HDMI cable price from NewEgg is great (7 foot cable for 10 bucks). It almost seems to good to be true.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,602 Posts
crazyick said:
eluuapo79, yes that HDMI cable price from NewEgg is great (7 foot cable for 10 bucks). It almost seems to good to be true.
Monoprice.com sells 6' HDMI cables for well under $7. Quantity discounts will get you two cables for $5.30 each.

· Mentor
44 Posts
FrankD1 said:
I am looking at the Onkyo 674 as well. Do you use HDMI output from HR20 to the 674? Can you set the 674 not to upgrade HD sigs from the DVR? Any conflicts with the anti-copy protocols?

Thanks for a little more info.

LL

· Mentor
44 Posts
harsh said:
Monoprice.com sells 6' HDMI cables for well under $7. Quantity discounts will get you two cables for $5.30 each.
These cables almost sound too good to be true...has anybody used them with 1080i or 1080p signals?

LL

· DBSTalk Club Member
96 Posts
I habe a pioneer elite VSX-81TXV with hdmi outputs. its awesome and makes everything easier to do via the receiver.
I have been using monocables for a couple years . they are awesome and work perfectly with my 50 in pioneer elite display

· AllStar
92 Posts
I second the Denon 2807. It also works great with the HR20 and Monoprice.com HDMI cables. And you can feed other sources through the 2807 and output on a single HDMI cable to feed your monitor. The instruction/setup manual isn't the best, but you will figure it out after a few trial and errors.
I hear this year Denon will have HDMI 1.3 version in their newer A/V recievers. and more video upconversion so I'll have to see what up at CES this year.

4 Posts
I've used Monoprice HDMi cables for about 6 months now, and they are fantastic. No problems passing 1080i/p signals at all. I also use their HDMI switch box which also passing all the signals flawlessly. They also shipped quickly.

-Sean

· AllStar
93 Posts
Lightsluvr said:
I am looking at the Onkyo 674 as well. Do you use HDMI output from HR20 to the 674? Can you set the 674 not to upgrade HD sigs from the DVR? Any conflicts with the anti-copy protocols?

Thanks for a little more info.

LL
I've got an HDMI from my HR20 to my 674, then another HDMI from my 674 to my Panasonic plasma, so it's HDMI all the way. Don't know if I've viewed any shows that contain any copy protection, but I've watched every HD channel so far with no problem. I don't understand your question about not upgrading DVR signals... since it's originating as HDMI, the DVR needs no upconversion. Can you clarify the question?

· Hall Of Fame
2,755 Posts
I use Monoprice frequently. If you order in the morning they ship in the afternoon. Order at night and it goes out the next day. Very fast shipping and cheap. I have never heard anyone complain about their cables.

· Legend
160 Posts
I have a HK AVR 645. It works perfect with HDMI. It retails at $1699.00 but I got it for $800 at onecall.com. They are an authorized HK Dealer. I saw it on the website today for $729. Make sure you do your research. The 245 and 445 also Have HDMI pass through. But the 645 also gets the digital audio through the hdmi. If you get a model like a 245 or 445 you would need a second digital cable to your receiver to receive audio. Make sure you read about all the features. Just because they pass through HDMI doesn't mean they will process the audio. My suggestion is that you don't go cheap on your receiver, you will regret it. HK rates my receiver at 75 watts a channel X's 7. The power is ridiculously underrated. I had a Pioneer 110 X 7 they I got for a little over $300 and it sounds like a walkman compared to my HK. I also heard a lot about the Denon's but I went with the Harman Kardon out of personal preference. Save your money on cables by going to monoprice.com. I use 2 6' cables from my components to my receiver and 2 35' cables from my receiver to my TV, All work perfect. (my hall closet hosts all my components.) I can't stress enough, Just because your receiver will pass through HDMI doesn't mean it will process it's audio without a second cable. Another good thing about the 645 is that it will convert anything you put into it (composite, component, s-video) through the HDMI cable so you would only need one cable to your TV\Monitor.

· Mentor
44 Posts
FrankD1 said:
I've got an HDMI from my HR20 to my 674, then another HDMI from my 674 to my Panasonic plasma, so it's HDMI all the way. Don't know if I've viewed any shows that contain any copy protection, but I've watched every HD channel so far with no problem. I don't understand your question about not upgrading DVR signals... since it's originating as HDMI, the DVR needs no upconversion. Can you clarify the question?
I think I was asking if there is any conflict with upconversion an (already) HD signal...May I assume that the receiver only upconverts component (and lower) input signals?

A rookie question...:rolleyes:

LL

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.