DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Godfather
Joined
·
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get them but I can see them in the guide. They are CBSeast, CBSwest, NBCeast, NBC west, etc. They are all in HD.

How do I got about getting these channels? Are they simply a package I can order? Or do they require I have the new 5LNB dish with the HR20 MPEG 4 receiver?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
archer75 said:
I don't get them but I can see them in the guide. They are CBSeast, CBSwest, NBCeast, NBC west, etc. They are all in HD.

How do I got about getting these channels? Are they simply a package I can order? Or do they require I have the new 5LNB dish with the HR20 MPEG 4 receiver?
Click on the link below to find out if you qualify... You don't need the new MPEG4 equipment to get the feeds if you qualify.

http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressForm.aspx
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts

·
Godfather
Joined
·
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cybrsurfer said:
It doesn't matter if you have MPEG4 or not. If in doubt check out the link... and call DirecTV by phone and ask for an exception from the local affiliates.

Here is the link again:

http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressForm.aspx

The link will give more reasons as to why you can or cant get the feeds from NY or LA.
I checked the link. They said no go as I am capable of receiving locals from Direct TV. But i'd rather have those channels.

Thier HD lineup for my local area consists of a whole 2 channels which is useless to me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
archer75 said:
I checked the link. They said no go as I am capable of receiving locals from Direct TV. But i'd rather have those channels.

Thier HD lineup for my local area consists of a whole 2 channels which is useless to me.
Call DirecTV and ask to see if the local affiliates will waive it for you and allow you to get them.:grin:
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,459 Posts
archer75 said:
I checked the link. They said no go as I am capable of receiving locals from Direct TV. But i'd rather have those channels.

Thier HD lineup for my local area consists of a whole 2 channels which is useless to me.
Since you appear to live in Portland, OR, I hate to say it but you do not qualify for the HD DNS stations as you have HD locals availble in your market. It doesn't matter if you get two or all four stations, once D* offers HD locals in your market you are no longer eligible to get the HD DNS stations. The best thing to do is to get on the two missing stations to settle with D* and get on board.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
253 Posts
It's not DirecTV restricting them.

Your local channels like for you to watch your local commercials and local news.
So, when you can receive them, they're protected from you just watching the NY
or LA channels instead.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
16 Posts
if it's the FCC than why can I get the west coast (L.A.) locals along with my own locals (N.Y.) on dishnetwork ? It's been that way for me for 10+ years. I've gotten used to being able to see a primetime show 3 hours later if I missed it in my timezone. Something doesn't jive here.. FCC restrictions would affect both sat services, not just Directv. :confused:

btw, dishnetwork charges and extra $4 /month to be able to get the west coast feed. I pay $8.99 / month for 'locals' - 4.99 for the NY locals (my area) and the other $4 for the L.A. locals. Why doesn't Directv offer that ?

Bec
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
26 Posts
Newshawk said:
Since you appear to live in Portland, OR, I hate to say it but you do not qualify for the HD DNS stations as you have HD locals availble in your market. It doesn't matter if you get two or all four stations, once D* offers HD locals in your market you are no longer eligible to get the HD DNS stations. The best thing to do is to get on the two missing stations to settle with D* and get on board.
So ... does this mean that if I get the locals in SD in my market, but the only way to get HD locals is OTA (and the link shows I have "Strong" - Class A - signals), I might be eligible?

Without the OTA capabilities in my HR20, it's a total pain to switch sources, move the antenna, etc. just to get the locals in HD.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,873 Posts
"if it's the FCC than why can I get the west coast (L.A.) locals along with my own locals (N.Y.) on dishnetwork ? It's been that way for me for 10+ years. I've gotten used to being able to see a primetime show 3 hours later if I missed it in my timezone. Something doesn't jive here.. FCC restrictions would affect both sat services, not just Directv."

You are "grandfathered" from a time that the laws were different. I also got east and west coast SD channels when I was with E*, even tho both E* and D* began offering my locals. I had the national feeds so long that I was allowed to keep them.

However, I am not up on the latest court decisions, you might end up losing them.

But let me get this straight--I'm on D*. If I get SD locals but NO HD locals, then I am eligible for the national HD feeds? Is this correct?

The folks at D* don't seem to understand this.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,459 Posts
Scribo-san said:
So ... does this mean that if I get the locals in SD in my market, but the only way to get HD locals is OTA (and the link shows I have "Strong" - Class A - signals), I might be eligible?
No, not eligible to automatically subscribe to the HD DNS channels, but you should be able to request waivers from your local stations to get the HD DNS. However, if you live in a Grade A signal area, then I can just about guarantee you that NO station manager or chief engineer will grant you a waiver.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
182 Posts
To me I thinks it's a copyright censorships that's is hurting TV viewer's right to get out of town TV stations!!:mad:

It's not right, and the only way is tell your congress critters to changes this stupid law that made up by NAB.:( "National Ass, of Broadcasters"

10-16-06
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,873 Posts
I can understand why the laws are what they are. The local stations want us to watch the local commercials, basically. If no one did, there would be no local stations, and then there would be no networks.

I only watch them for sports anyway, as I am a movie fan, but it would be nice to get NBC NFL games in HD.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top