DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about ready to upgrade from my HD Tivo to a HR20, well if I can find one :) I just called DirecTV who claims they have non in stock with no ETA of when they come in.

What is the PVR monthly cost? I have to pay a monthly cost in addition to my receiver fee to DirectTV every month and am told this is a cost that goes to the TIVO Company. Is there a monthly PVR fee also for this DVR?

As well, I love the commercial skip feature of my HD Tivo. Is there one available on the HR20 or like the HD Tivo do I have to program it into it? (the 30 second skip)
Thanks!

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Same cost for the new DVR as the old Tivo unit. Nothing will change, but now you will get a 'lease' fee as well of another 5 bucks. So they are essentially charging you more for the new DVR.

·
Icon
731 Posts
You can SLIP through commercials... not skip!

This makes you watch them... but at FF speed... probably takes 20 seconds or so to get though a 4 minute commercial block.

Every time you hit slip.. it advances 30 seconds... so hit it 8 times (and it does sow you how many times you have hit the button).. and your done.

I don't like it coming from DISH (30 second SKIP) but it's better than nothing.

I usually just hit FF 3x and hit jump back when I'm through the commercials.. much faster.. but less accurate.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
dbdynsty25 said:
Same cost for the new DVR as the old Tivo unit. Nothing will change, but now you will get a 'lease' fee as well of another 5 bucks. So they are essentially charging you more for the new DVR.
Incorrect.

For owned units the $5 monthly charge was an "extra receiver fee".
For leased units the $5 monthly charge is called a "lease fee".

It's the same fee.

To the original poster, if you are just swaping out your HR10 Tivo for the HR20 then your monthly charges will not change at all, they just may be labled a bit differently.
If you are simply adding the HR20 to your account then there will be a $5 charge for the extra receiver, just as you would if you added any other receiver to your account. It's just called different things depending on if the receiver is leased or owned.

·
Legend
200 Posts
Sheesh. The way things are going you are lucky to have to wait! I wish I could get an HD TIVO right now.
Maybe by the time you ge your HR20 it will actually have most of the bugs worked out!

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
deebeeeff said:
Sheesh. The way things are going you are lucky to have to wait! I wish I could get an HD TIVO right now.
Maybe by the time you ge your HR20 it will actually have most of the bugs worked out!
That is certanly true for some (as has been well discussed here), but it's not true for me. I've had mine for nearly 4 weeks, and wouldn't trade it for anything. Only three minor issues (non-recurrent) in the time period and 3 updates. I'm very pleased, but it is more than obvious there is a significant minority who are not (and shouldn't be).

MPEG-4/HD Locals seem to be at the root of some of the major problems. I don't have them (thank God).

·
Icon
609 Posts
better beware of buying any directv dvr from them or anyplace, because if you buy it they say they still own it, then if you have any of your dvr's or receivers turned off you are out of the money you paid for it plus you have to send it back to directv, i bought an hr10 at walmart for 99.00 and a h20 for 99.00 at walmart, now they want one of them back after i even paid for it, i bought the new hr20-700 at best buy for 299 and i suppose they say they own it too? this is pure bs!!! you should of heard my wife when she found out that they sent us a box to ship one of the receivers which we paid cash for that we had turned off when we bought the hr20-700

·
Mentor
34 Posts
shaun-ohio said:
better beware of buying any directv dvr from them or anyplace, because if you buy it they say they still own it, then if you have any of your dvr's or receivers turned off you are out of the money you paid for it plus you have to send it back to directv, i bought an hr10 at walmart for 99.00 and a h20 for 99.00 at walmart, now they want one of them back after i even paid for it, i bought the new hr20-700 at best buy for 299 and i suppose they say they own it too? this is pure bs!!! you should of heard my wife when she found out that they sent us a box to ship one of the receivers which we paid cash for that we had turned off when we bought the hr20-700[/QUOT

You did not buy the boxes at walmart you leased them for a one time payment of 99.00. Should have upgraded through Directv for the Hr20 and negotiated for a free box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.