DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Godfather
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we know OTA is coming, but what after that? Here are some things that I'd like the HR20 to do in the future:

1) Be able to watch/transfer shows from one DVR to the other.
2) Be able to play music, display photos, watch videos from my home computer.
3) Schedule shows over the internet.
4) Download shows to a portable device for on-the-go viewing (I-pod etc) (This would be great for long trips with my 4-year old)

What else?

And for the record, I don't care at all about dual buffers, but I know I'm in the minority on that issue.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
#2, Yes... except for maybe video
#4, Yes... Called DirecTV 2 Go

Video On Demand, via SAT and Broadband

·
Icon
777 Posts
I couldn't care less about the dual buffers either. I am, however, definitely interested in remote scheduling capability. WiRNS has saved my butt more than you can imagine when my wife and I are out of town at shooting tournaments and she says "did you remember to record <insert show here>?" :)

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
PoitNarf said:
I have a feeling once OTA finally rolls out, VOD will be high on their priority list.
VOD doesn't just apply to the HR20. The D11 and R15 (and probably the H20, even though they neglect it) will have VOD capability too. But I highly doubt we'll see VOD until they roll out the new interface next year.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Jeremy W said:
VOD doesn't just apply to the HR20. The D11 and R15 (and probably the H20) will have VOD capability too. But I highly doubt we'll see VOD until they roll out the new interface next year.
Do those other receivers have ethernet ports too? I'm too lazy to look it up :D (pretty sure my H20 doesn't)

·
Legend
156 Posts
You can cheat and schedule things over the internet right now if you have any interest in getting a slingbox. Works great with the HR20 for viewing just like you were at home!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Do those other receivers have ethernet ports too? I'm too lazy to look it up :D (pretty sure my H20 doesn't)
None of them have intregrated NICs...
But they all have USB Ports

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Nope, the HR20 is the first DirecTV receiver to have an Ethernet port. But the others have USB, so they'll be connected with a USB NIC like the Tivos are now.

WHAT THE HELL EARL?!?!?!?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Jeremy W said:
Well you don't get over 6,000 posts by being lazy. :D
yah.. .but you do get fired for it though... .(just kidding)

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
peridoc said:
You can cheat and schedule things over the internet right now if you have any interest in getting a slingbox. Works great with the HR20 for viewing just like you were at home!
I have to agree here. The Slingbox works infinitely better on the HR20 that it ever did on my SAT-60. Plus with the added benefit of the 480p being available at the same time as the 1080p, no worries about the program resolution causing the Slingbox to be missing video.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Rob55 said:
This was probably already discussed elsewhere, but are they going to enable multiple HR-20s to share recorded programming over LAN?
This functionality probably won't be seen until the HMC currently in development is released, whenever that will be.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
Rob55 said:
This was probably already discussed elsewhere, but are they going to enable multiple HR-20s to share recorded programming over LAN?
There is no solid info saying that they will, but it is assumed that they will. There is already some code in there for it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.