DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

· AllStar
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is true, the grass is NEVER greener on the other side.

I had Directv back in the mid 90's....and had a few issues.

Then had Adelphia...Had a ton of issues

Time Warner...Tons of problems...Same with Comcast (my current provider)...

As I am about to re enter the world of Directv (as soon as they add HBO on demand) I would like to hear about your problems with directv..Regardless of how minor or major they may be...

Lets hear your beef...

· Superfly
4,572 Posts
This is a very strange thread, jungleland. What is your motivation here? It almost seems like you are looking for trouble.

My only complaint is that the HR-2x DVR is quirky. It works great 99% of the time. So far the other 1% aren't major failures but I have had to accept that it has its moments. That's OK. I've been employed in the consumer electronics industry for 30 years and am used to equipment that has a personality. My favorite was a modulator I owned that I had to kick about once a week when it went out. That was kind of fun, actually.

· Hall Of Fame
2,050 Posts
Jungleland -- Rather than just start a thread for people to repost complaints or concerns, why don't you just peruse this forum. There are lots of threads containing complaints and compliments (regarding customer service, pricing, promotions, programming choices, technical support, receiver features and upgrades, et cetera).

· Cool Member
28 Posts
I had adelphia and comcast cable in a town that actually had very good cable. Moved and the local comcast was dreadful. So I recently switched to direct. I'm very happy with that decision. Of course some of that is the ability to see my NFL team in my new area, but the picture and equipment have surpassed my expectations.

The install could have been better. I don't like the way they ran some wires. That's my only complaint.

· AllStar
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Upstream said:
Jungleland -- Rather than just start a thread for people to repost complaints or concerns, why don't you just peruse this forum. There are lots of threads containing complaints and compliments (regarding customer service, pricing, promotions, programming choices, technical support, receiver features and upgrades, et cetera).
A little past the point no?:confused: :confused:

· Hall Of Fame
1,333 Posts
jungleland said:
A little past the point no?:confused: :confused:
No, I think it makes perfect sense. You appear and ask for opinions in a forum full of opinions over a long period of time. It is obvious that most posters have no qualms posting anything negative regarding their experiences. As it stands, it's like taking someone to the Lincoln Memorial and asking them if they can name at least one former president of the US.

· Hall Of Fame
1,561 Posts
jungleland said:

As I am about to re enter the world of Directv (as soon as they add HBO on demand) I would like to hear about your problems with directv..Regardless of how minor or major they may be...

Lets hear your beef...
If you want OTA, make sure you get an HR-20 or an HR-21 and an AM-21, other than that I am a happy camper also.

· RIP
6,203 Posts
I was always told there's no such thing as a stupid question...there is, however, such a thing as a lazy question. A lazy question is one the the person asking could easily answer for themselves.

It wouldn't take much reading through these forums to figure out a list of the most common complaints.

· Icon
927 Posts
I just left DirecTV (for the second time) and the only reason I left was because of my issues with their HD-DVR. Specifically blank recordings (randomly) since January and constant lockups with the last release. See the DVR forum for all the gory details.

Note that just as many say they have no issues, and I really do believe them. The first six months I had it, it worked like a charm. I think it was the updates to add MediaShare functionality that really started the problem. And I know DirecTV is trying hard to solve them. I just got tired of trouble shooting things just to watch TV.

Other than that I was very happy with DirecTV. I think their HD is the best out there and the programming can't be beat if your a sports fan.

· Hall Of Fame
1,876 Posts
jungleland said:

Lets hear your beef...
I like D*, but have you considered DISH?

· Icon
552 Posts
My only complaint is that they insisted on switching to their own DVR instead of sticking with Tivo.

However, in many ways the HR20 and HR21 perform better than the Tivo based HR10-250.

I also have Time Warner service and their DVR is horrible. Of course, you can just replace theirs with a Tivo S3, but Time Warner is doing their best to make the S3 unusable by implementing SDV.

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
BruceS said:
My only complaint is that they insisted on switching to their own DVR instead of sticking with Tivo.

However, in many ways the HR20 and HR21 perform better than the Tivo based HR10-250.

I also have Time Warner service and their DVR is horrible. Of course, you can just replace theirs with a Tivo S3, but Time Warner is doing their best to make the S3 unusable by implementing SDV.
The installer left a few cable scraps for me to pick up, and dropped a few peanut shells (that was my fault for offering him peanuts to eat during the install) No big deal. He did not charge me for custom work.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.