Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Robin Hood

Votes: 5 14.7%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Godfather
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What British Shows, Rock ya Boat? (Do You Like)

Being a Brit I would like to know, which recent shows from the UK you like. I know there are loads but i have taken the big ones.

·
Godfather
418 Posts
Cracker
Murphy's Law
Sharpe
Red Cap
Murder in Suburbia
Cold Feet
MI-5/Spooks (first 2 series/seasons)

I know that most of those are cancelled and it's a damn shame.

I have watched one episode of Life on Mars and while it seemed good, it just didn't grab me.

When I first saw MI-5/Spooks I thought it was the best drama of any type I had seen in years. After the second season I couldn't bring myself to watch it anymore after they lost most of the main characters.

Is there anything new on the horizon that is similar to those shows.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,345 Posts
Oldies:

Monty Python's Flying Circus.
The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Coupling.
Red Dwarf.
Keeping Up Appearances.
The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin.
Manchild.

Recent:
Dr. Who
Torchwood
Robin Hood
Spooks (MI-5 is NOT "Spooks" - MI-5 "Spooks Lite")
Life On Mars

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
None, since Benny Hill died, may the funny bugger rest in peace. :engel10:

Frankly, it's hard to understand you people who insist on speaking the
American language with an English accent! :p

·
Old Guys Rule!
5,053 Posts
None lately, but oldies include Benny Hill, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Fawlty Towers, and Michael Palin's Around the World in 80 days and Pole to Pole.
There also was a comedy about an elderly couple (can't recall the name) that was quite funny and enjoyable.

Many years ago, I enjoyed several British radio shows, including the Goon Show and Alistair Cooke's One Man's America.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,429 Posts
Speaking of "Life On Mars" is there more of that show out there? I mean I saw the episodes they showed on BBC America this summer, but haven't heard anything more since. Yeah sure I heard that there's supposed to be an American version coming but i'd really like to see more of the British show with the original actors.

·
AllStar
55 Posts
tsmacro said:
Speaking of "Life On Mars" is there more of that show out there? I mean I saw the episodes they showed on BBC America this summer, but haven't heard anything more since. Yeah sure I heard that there's supposed to be an American version coming but i'd really like to see more of the British show with the original actors.
The 2nd (and last) season hasn't been shown in Britain yet. They're saying "sometime in 2007", probably spring, so we'll probably see it here next summer.

My list of shows I like:
Doctor Who
Red Dwarf
Blake's 7
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Torchwood (watching the 2nd episode right now)
Life on Mars
Coupling
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
A Very Peculiar Practice
All Creatures Great and Small
Fawlty Towers
Blackadder

·
Hall Of Fame
4,345 Posts
Heh.. If you catch the BBC versions of "Life on Mars" you can get an extra 15 minutes per episode as they were cut for US commercial timeslots. That's a whole 2 extra hours over the course of the 8 episodes.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,673 Posts
djlong said:
Heh.. If you catch the BBC versions of "Life on Mars" you can get an extra 15 minutes per episode as they were cut for US commercial timeslots. That's a whole 2 extra hours over the course of the 8 episodes.
Which I do not understand as shows like Murder city (1:30 running time) The Street ( 1:15 running time) and Wire on the Blood (2:00 running time) do not seem to be edited for time. Life on Mars should have been afforded the same as the shows I mentioned.

As to the thread topic just add Mile High, Crime Fighters, Shakespeare Retold, and Sharp and my list is complete.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,429 Posts
Anyone know if it's possible to get the first season of Life on Mars on DVD? I haven't been able to find it anyway.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Midsomer Murders -- Best bloody show on the telly.

Also like and have seen most or all of...

Morse
Poirot
As Time Goes By
Murder In Suburbia
Jeremy Brett's Sherlock
Rumpole Of The Bailey
Marsden's Dalgliesh (the other guy sucks)
Jacobi's Cadfael

·
Legend
214 Posts
TreeFarm said:
Midsomer Murders -- Best bloody show on the telly.

Also like and have seen most or all of...

Morse
Poirot
As Time Goes By
Murder In Suburbia
Jeremy Brett's Sherlock
Rumpole Of The Bailey
Marsden's Dalgliesh (the other guy sucks)
Jacobi's Cadfael
I don't know if you would count Battlestar Galactica as British as Sky funded part of the budget and it aired first in the UK i believe but Battlestar Galactica is #1 on my list. Doctor Who would be the other British TV show that I like and hopefully someone picks up Torchwood to air in the US, either BBC America or SciFi.

I tried to get into the show Life on Mars I figured it would be cool because of the time travel element, and i'm a huge Time Travel fan :) The show/actors just didn't click with me though.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
There was a new Poirot on Biography last night. Old Hercule now has a butler, of all things. Miss Lemon, Captain Hastings, and Inspector Japp are all missing from the current series, and the show suffers from their absence, in my opinion. The DirecTV program guide still lists the actors who played them as being in the program. Bloody idiots.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.