DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
1,140 Posts
up grade fee like $99.00? If that much might as well by Dish upgrade kit from Solid Signal and install myself?
have you tried calling the loyality dept at1-866-595-1331. they might be able to give you a good deal to keep you happy ;) . they gave me alot of discounts off my bill!!! worth a shot;) oh and there in merica as well!!! i'm running an HS-17 and it's snappy fast and quick to respond no issues here!! i have 3 4k minis running off it to no issues!!! though the tower only streams 2 4K live shows at once..

·
1,140 Posts
No, but you likely need to pay for the upgrade to get it. You'd want to insure they gave you an HS17 and C61K if you want 4K service, because if they give you an HR54 you will pay more - because the HR54 can't output 4K so it will also need the C61K so you pay for two TVs even though you have one.

If you want 4K you could just call them and ask for a 4K upgrade and tell them you have only one TV and ask what it will cost up front. But there isn't a whole lot of 4K, so don't get your expectations too high. Maybe a half dozen events (mostly sports) a week, if that.
they could give the OP the HS-17 and a 4k mini at no charge and just put them into another 2 year contract. iv'e gotten my third mini at no charge just for asking!!!

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
I think the question may be more about how the client associated with an HS17 performs as compared with the HR54 iteself (without a client).

I'm not sure how channel changing speed became such a critical benchmark in a world of DVRs but it certainly seems to have.
When I was using my HS17-500 with my two C61K-700 clients I experienced no issues with features, menus or channel changing speed. The same can be said about my HR54-200.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,001 Posts
When i had a HR54 and a client and a HS17 and clients.. the clients operated faster with the HS17... This was noted also in several reviews early on. Was it lightning faster No.. but it was noticeable.. that being said my Osprey with Directv Stream is about 100x faster then my C61k was and the graphics load is about 10x more

·
Super Moderator
53,493 Posts
It receives 4K but does not output 4K on the locally connected receiver. 4K on DIRECTV is only available via the C61k client.

·
1,140 Posts
Am I missing something, does the HR54 out put 4K? I thought it did 4K
the HR 54 only receives 4K but it does NOT output in 4K. differnet HDMI!!! though it records in 4K so that you can view it on a 4K mini. though with the HR 54 and a 4K mini you'll be charged 7.00 a month for the 4K mini sense they think it's a second tv!! there is no charge for the genie 2 tower with one 4K mini sense the tower don't output video. the HR 54 only passes 4 K content onto a 4K mini.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,461 Posts
The HR54 has a HDMI output of 1.4. You need a HDMI output of 2.0 for 4K.
It is best not to over-explain such things. Technicallly, "4K" can be done over HDMI 1.4.

The Genies simply weren't designed to render 4K video.

·
Registered
83 Posts
is this for real? this guy hasnt upgraded in 15 years since the hr20 and they will charge him?? LMFAO no way......
Id say build a new account with all included so you dont have to pay for HD and DVR anymore. Thats total BS

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
hate to bring this back up but just read this post . How would I build a new account and you mean new subs don't have to pay for HD and dvr?
is this for real? this guy hasnt upgraded in 15 years since the hr20 and they will charge him?? LMFAO no way......
Id say build a new account with all included so you dont have to pay for HD and DVR anymore. Thats total BS

·
Registered
83 Posts
hate to bring this back up but just read this post . How would I build a new account and you mean new subs don't have to pay for HD and dvr?
They keep chaning this all the time. For awhile it was WAY cheaper on the all included, like when all included was for up to 4 tvs. It came out to something like $7 more for HD and DVR. Now, they kinda hide the fact that they are charging $15 for DVR, but theres no HD fee. They also just call it advanced receiver fee. But yes there are folks paying way less than $25 for HD and DVR service. The sales material they have right now i cant even tell you what a new account pays without DVR, its a mystery or something. I would actually have to build the order in OPUS to find out. They dont want anyone selling non DVR systems so they dont even provide the information. Kinda dumb.....

·
Icon
1,664 Posts
They keep chaning this all the time. For awhile it was WAY cheaper on the all included, like when all included was for up to 4 tvs. It came out to something like $7 more for HD and DVR. Now, they kinda hide the fact that they are charging $15 for DVR, but theres no HD fee. They also just call it advanced receiver fee. But yes there are folks paying way less than $25 for HD and DVR service. The sales material they have right now i cant even tell you what a new account pays without DVR, its a mystery or something. I would actually have to build the order in OPUS to find out. They dont want anyone selling non DVR systems so they dont even provide the information. Kinda dumb.....
Are you a dealer or something? Are they ok with dealers suggestion existing customers skirt the system and create new accounts?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,461 Posts
Given that most installs now involve a Genie and Minis, the hardware model has obviously changed so it isn't unreasonable to expect that the pricing model changed along with it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Are you a dealer or something? Are they ok with dealers suggestion existing customers skirt the system and create new accounts?
Not sure where i said that at. I was answering the guys question. He can do whatever he wants.
The best deal was about 4 or 5 years ago and i think someone said even though it was called lifetime all included, Directv somehow is killing the deal and charging them the $15 now? Kinda BS if you ask me.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts