DBSTalk Forum banner

What do I need and what does DIRECTV cover

4K views 45 replies 10 participants last post by  James Long 
#1 ·
I have a HR20-700 and 5LNB with 4 wires coming into house. One of my HR20-700 just bit the dust so down to one DVR. I only have one 4K capable TV in the house , it is the only tv we use. The last HR20-700 DVR seems to be on last legs. I will upgrade to the HR54 Genie. What equipment changes do I need? Will Direct Tv install the new dish/LNB type for the HR54. When I say will they do it I am asking what they do as part of 2 year new commitment and what would I have to pay for? I have done all the dish installs in the past on my house starting with single LNB up to the high def 5LNB going back 1998 with the Pegasus Sat company that did rural Minnesota sat service. I even had a Acutrac my dish. I say this because I know how to dither the 5LNB dish and have no issues with doing my own install. If I had to get a 2 year commitment any how to get the HR54 I wonder how much they do beside for a 2 year commitment with the up grade for the rest of the new dish equipment I need.

#2 ·
DIRECTV will make whatever changes are needed.

You will likely pay an upgrade fee to upgrade to a Genie (perhaps the HS17 rather than the HR54). If it is the Genie 2, you'll have a Genie Mini attached to your TV. There will be a programming commitment but the length of the commitment is at DIRECTV's option.

The LNB will be replaced and only one coax will be used. Depending on the condition of the coax, dish and its mount, it may all be replaced. If the dish isn't within their current idea of "reachable", they'll install a new dish somewhere that is and leave the old dish and cabling where it is.

#8 ·
AT&T is concentrating on the Genie whole home configuration as their battle plan and the HS17 as their weapon of choice. If they get some HR54 refurbs in stock you may get one but requests don't appear to carry much weight.

As a single TV household you obviously don't need something compatible with other conventional receivers where other households most certainly do.

HR24s are available through third parties but you'll pay a couple of C-notes for the privilege of leasing them and likely be forced into Advanced Technology and perhaps other fees that DIRECTV might otherwise waive.

#21 · (Edited)
have you tried calling the loyality dept at1-866-595-1331. they might be able to give you a good deal to keep you happy ;) . they gave me alot of discounts off my bill!!! worth a shot;) oh and there in merica as well!!! i'm running an HS-17 and it's snappy fast and quick to respond no issues here!! i have 3 4k minis running off it to no issues!!! though the tower only streams 2 4K live shows at once..

#5 ·
You can probably get a free upgrade if you tell Directv the HR20 has quit working entirely. They won't upgrade you to 4K but there isn't a lot of 4K anyway so if you're trying to go with the lowest cost that's your best option.

#7 ·
Call Retention (1-877-999-1083) during normal business hours Mon-Fri. Tell them you want to upgrade and see if they'll waive the fee. The HR54 has a 1 TB Hard Drive. It can be connected to a TV and will work with DVRs, Receivers and Clients. For 4K service it needs a C61K-700 client. The HR54 works with one 4K stream at once. The HS17 is a headless server. It has a 2 TB Hard Drive and cannot be connected to a TV. It only works with clients. For 4K service it needs a C61K-700 client. The HS17 works with two 4K streams at once. There is no charge for 4K service. Channel 104 broadcast human interest, concerts and movies in 4K. Channels 105 and 106 broadcast live events in 4K. Channels 107 and 108 broadcast PPVs in 4K.

#10 ·
If a tech can get to the dish without leaving the ladder you should be fine.

#24 ·
When i had a HR54 and a client and a HS17 and clients.. the clients operated faster with the HS17... This was noted also in several reviews early on. Was it lightning faster No.. but it was noticeable.. that being said my Osprey with Directv Stream is about 100x faster then my C61k was and the graphics load is about 10x more

#27 ·
the HR 54 only receives 4K but it does NOT output in 4K. differnet HDMI!!! though it records in 4K so that you can view it on a 4K mini. though with the HR 54 and a 4K mini you'll be charged 7.00 a month for the 4K mini sense they think it's a second tv!! there is no charge for the genie 2 tower with one 4K mini sense the tower don't output video. the HR 54 only passes 4 K content onto a 4K mini.

#26 ·
It receives 4K but does not output 4K on the locally connected receiver. 4K on DIRECTV is only available via the C61k client.

#39 ·
Given that most installs now involve a Genie and Minis, the hardware model has obviously changed so it isn't unreasonable to expect that the pricing model changed along with it.

#46 ·
"Being a DIRECTV dealer" could you set up a cell phone account for anyone? Or are you saying that you could set up new cell phone accounts for anyone who didn't have a current account?

"Being a DIRECTV dealer" could you set up a new DIRECTV account for a customer with a current account? Or run a workaround where the new DIRECTV account was set up by a spouse or other family member then once installed the old account was cancelled? Not asking IF you did that, but asking if it was possible for you as a dealer to set up a new DIRECTV account.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.