DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Legend
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
We bought our house about a year ago, and when we moved in we only had DirectTV set us up with one receiver. What do I need in order to hook up a second receiver (or more at a later date)?

I'm getting ready to run/fish 2 lines each to a total of 4 locations (living area and 3 bedrooms), but only need to connect two receivers that are both DVR's.

We currently have 1 round (18"?) satellite dish with a dual LNB Transponder
1 R15-300
1 R22-100

I've heard of the SWM's, but can't shell out the $200-$300 for these yet...and would like to wait for the dish that has it integrated anyhow.

I've heard of multiplexers or diplexers or something that would care for this...but wasn't sure so I came here to ask those more knowledgeable in this area =D

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Legend
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michael D'Angelo;1662733 said:
You need a 2x8 multi-switch to work with that dish. Run the two lines from the dish to the multi-switch and than you will have up to 8 outputs.

The SWM will not work with that dish and it will not work with your R15.
Thx for the info...do you know of a good place to pick up the multi switch?

I had also planned to replace the R15 if I picked up the dish with the integrated SWM...otherwise the regular SWM has legacy ports that I would connect to, correct?

·
Legend
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CJTE said:
If you let DirecTV do it, they'll bring out a new dish and what-not, and do the cabling for you.
At $100 a pop (at least), and having lines run around the house and punched through the wall? No thanks!

Besides, I'm also taking this opportunity to run two lines of Cat5 to each location as well.

Pulling the cable isn't a problem for me...I just wanted to see what I needed to split the signal, and a good source to acquire it from

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.