DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vote would be for Crimson Tide. Extremely well acted iwth a plausible story and extremely suspenseful. Best submarine movie ever, and my vote for best military movie ever made. Gene Hackman vs. Denzel Washington - what a great mix of acting talent.

·
Fromer Member
1,113 Posts
I read an interview with Clancy and somebody else where they stated that this movie was really unrealistic. I suggest you read the book SSN by Clancy because it was awesome and realistic a few years ago. China is more powerful today thanks to KKKlinton.

I like books not movies.

Bat21 really sucks! That book was great and the movie really sucked and had very little to do with the true story. The ending was totally different and I booed it.

One of the best fiction books I've ever read was called Operation: Five Fingers or something like that. I'm sure it's out of print now and it was about 'Nam. I don't think I have it anymore but if you can find it it's a great read or it was for me over 10 years ago.

I'm into WW2 books history and fiction. I use to read a lot of "Nam books during the '80's.

I really liked a new author by the name of John Altman or something like that that wrote the book (fiction) called A Gathering of Spies or Spies Among Us... I forget which one but it was incredible.

Spandau Phoenix by Greg Iles was incredible too. This was a fiction account of Hess surviving WW2 and setting up shop in S. Africa.

The one bad thing about Clancy is that he doesn't write all the books he puts his name on.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Vietnam- Full Metal Jacket (But I still have to watch Apocalypse Now Redux, which I bought last week, but its over 200min and I wanna watch it in one sitting)
WWII- Saving Private Ryan for battle field and U571 for Navel warefare
Revoultionary War- The Patriot, hands down winner IMHO

And Gladiator and Braveheart which take place long before the US ever existed but are still militalistic is nature.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Vietnam: Apocalypse Now (Original)
Korea: None--not even MASH
WWII: (European Theater) The Longest Day, A Bridge Too Far, Is Paris Burning?, The Enemy Below
WWII: (Pacific Theater) Midway, Tora-Tora-Tora, 30 Seconds over Tokyo, Sands of Iwo Jima
WWI: Sgt. York, Galipolis

See ya
Tony

·
823 Posts
VietNam: Go tell the Spartans
Hamburger Hill
WWII: Stalag 17
Bridge over River Kwai
Saving Private Ryan
The Great Escape
WWI: Legends of the Fall
Revolutionary War: The Patriot
Future Wars starring Kurt Russell: Stargate
Soldier
No good wars good war movies are endless

·
Godfather/Supporter
342 Posts
Platoon and Full Metal Jacket are probably what scared me out of joining the military. My best friend had just signed up with the Marines the week Full Metal Jacket came out and we went to see it together. He came out of the movie looking like a ghost (mind you he is Jamaican).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.