DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Icon
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that everyone on this forum asks questions about DirecTV equipment to Earl Bonovich. My question is why? What information does he have that people know to ask him?

I checked is public profile to see what he does, but I didn't see anything on there. I also tried a search, but searching "Earl" and "job" gives back too many hits.

So what is his source? Not that I'm skeptical of Earl's expertise... I just would like to know what that expertise is, exactly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Earl has some contacts at D*. He doesn't work for them or anything like that. He's one of this forums moderators, and people usually ask him because he is one of the more knowledgeable ones here in terms of D* related stuff.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
What do I do..... I ask myself that about a dozen times a day... if not more.

I am a software developer.
I spent the first 10 years of my career for a consulting firm, mostly dealing with the database tier, but ultimately had to do GUI and business analysis, project management, ect.... same company, 4 different clients in the 10 years.

I recently changed jobs (Back in April), to a company that is near my home (7 miles... vs my old 1 1/2 hour commute (one way)).... for a family owned jewelery company.

I am part of a 6 person IT depertment, and I am the only non-AS400 developer....

---------------------------
As for what I do here?

I got lucky as dirty to be at the right place at the right time, and was able to build some amazing relationships with people at DirecTV and other companies. I spent the first 5ish years of my "forum" life on the www.tivocommunity.com site.... after I did the R15 review a year ago, I came here to www.dbstalk.com and was eventually asked to be a moderator.

And since then...it has just been gang busters since.

Over the years, I spent a lot of time learning from others how all this stuff works. I do installations of home networks, sat setups, and all sorts of other "gadget" things on the side for friends/family and their friends and family.

I have learned so much from so many different people, I am just doing my part in trying to return that knowledge. In my own way, I am helping peple in the "internet" world, just like my father did in the non-internet world. Which is one of the things that keeps me going.

Why do I do it? It is a border line addiction... and I simply like the results and the comments I get when I help people.

I am not a DirecTV employee...
I pay my bill just like everyone else... I don't get any special "credits" on my bill for doing this.
I don't get paid by DBSTalk

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Earl,

There is absolutely no doubt that you ROCK! Your willingness to help is outstanding and, well, rather unbelievable. But you continue to do so much for the community.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
May our circles overlap long enough for me to buy you dinner someday.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Enough about me...

Question asked... and question answered.

Back to the topic of the forum...
If you want to send me a PM.... feel free.

Earl

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
What do I do..... I ask myself that about a dozen times a day... if not more.

I am a software developer.
I spent the first 10 years of my career for a consulting firm, mostly dealing with the database tier, but ultimately had to do GUI and business analysis, project management, ect.... same company, 4 different clients in the 10 years.

I recently changed jobs (Back in April), to a company that is near my home (7 miles... vs my old 1 1/2 hour commute (one way)).... for a family owned jewelery company.

I am part of a 6 person IT depertment, and I am the only non-AS400 developer....

---------------------------
As for what I do here?

I got lucky as dirty to be at the right place at the right time, and was able to build some amazing relationships with people at DirecTV and other companies. I spent the first 5ish years of my "forum" life on the www.tivocommunity.com site.... after I did the R15 review a year ago, I came here to www.dbstalk.com and was eventually asked to be a moderator.

And since then...it has just been gang busters since.

Over the years, I spent a lot of time learning from others how all this stuff works. I do installations of home networks, sat setups, and all sorts of other "gadget" things on the side for friends/family and their friends and family.

I have learned so much from so many different people, I am just doing my part in trying to return that knowledge. In my own way, I am helping peple in the "internet" world, just like my father did in the non-internet world. Which is one of the things that keeps me going.

Why do I do it? It is a border line addiction... and I simply like the results and the comments I get when I help people.

I am not a DirecTV employee...
I pay my bill just like everyone else... I don't get any special "credits" on my bill for doing this.
I don't get paid by DBSTalk
I guess your a Bears fan also. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
blueflame16 said:
I guess your a Bears fan also. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
:) Yep, somewhere in there... I find the time to follow the "one win away from repeating" NFC North Division Champion Chicago Bears...... Da' Bears

And same to you... Gobble Gobble...

·
Hall Of Fame
1,448 Posts
Not meaning to embarrass you but I too was interested in reading your post Earl. You've helped me a lot of times. Thanks to your hunch about autorecords and stability issues I am beginning to like my HR 20 again as I see hope for it once again. Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.