DBSTalk Forum banner
921 - 940 of 971 Posts

·
Icon
1,175 Posts
I've been using a 1 TB WD green SSD in "your" Dock on an Hr22 Since 2019 with No issue's. I only use on WD's in everything -Samsung nothing for me --your choice may be different
Thanks for the reply. The ones I have swapped in my desktops and laptops, have been Intel, but I have a friend that swears Samsung is better, so I have one ordered for when I do a fresh install of 10 on my desktop, and I will use Intel on my wife's desktop. That said, I simply hadn't heard anything about WD SSDs. I have a Terabyte blue in my Amazon cart, is the green better or?? And, I may just open it up and install it, as it's just cleaner, and it's an owned HR24 anyway.

·
Icon
1,175 Posts
wd & samsung have always been my choice for ssd usage in all my computers. im currently using a samsung nvme 870 pro in this pc im using now. in this pc i have a 2tb samsung 860 QVO for my oculus and a 4tb 860 EVO for data backups. zero issues over 2yrs. the 860 evo i put in my dvr i had previously used in a pc without problems. at the time i installed it in my genie it was perfectly fine at 100% health. maybe it was just one of those rare instances where i got ahold of a bad one that was gonna fail early anyway, just the extreme data r/w of the dvr accelerated its demise.

overall ive had very good luck with samsung drives. i will continue to buy them as needed. i think the 870 might perform well in your dvr. i wouldnt hesitate to give it a try. ive experimented with several. 5400, 7200, 5900 video drives, and nothing works as smoothly as the ssd does.
Mind if I ask, as I'm considering Samsung as well....what's the difference between the 870 EVO and 870 QVO, aside from the price? Obviously the EVO is superior, but how much more, and in the case of going in a DVR, would it make any difference, to save a few bucks? And, does it make a difference if it's SATA or SATA III?

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,430 Posts
I did highlighted your question, pressed right button on my mouse and selected "Search the web", first answer was "The EVOs use TLC memory, which is more expensive but doesn't have as much of a disparity between read and write performance. The QVO uses a cache to help speed up performance with write operations, but when that cache becomes saturated it gets very slow. "

·
Icon
1,175 Posts
If anyone is considering this, and the Samsung EVO SSD, B&H has a pretty good price at the moment. I ordered one, and may get another, for my PC when I redo it, or build a new one. :) Might still use the WD Blue for my HR24, but regardless, it's a good price.

·
Icon
1,175 Posts
Can anyone tell me if they used a sled when installing an SSD in a 24? Reason I ask is, I heard it can float in there, but seems like with a sled, the little grounding clips can be reinstalled, but maybe they're not necessary??
Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Computer hardware Electronic engineering

·
66 Posts
Recently I swapped out the drive in a HR24 as it had pretty much quit and reboots were no longer working. I threw in a 2TB Seagate Barracuda and it couldn’t have been easier, now I’m thinking about swapping out the HR44 drive to a 3TB WD purple drive I’ve had new in the box for a few years now but I have way too much stuff recorded on the original drive to watch. I wish there was an easy way to transfer recordings from old to new drive but it doesn’t seem so easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Recently I swapped out the drive in a HR24 as it had pretty much quit and reboots were no longer working. I threw in a 2TB Seagate Barracuda and it couldn’t have been easier, now I’m thinking about swapping out the HR44 drive to a 3TB WD purple drive I’ve had new in the box for a few years now but I have way too much stuff recorded on the original drive to watch. I wish there was an easy way to transfer recordings from old to new drive but it doesn’t seem so easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Want to keep your old recordings --then use the 3 TB Drive external -esata cable --remove it to view any recording on the internal drive ---just a thought

Reactions: Soulweeper

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
Just curious, if a drive that has been running in the external eSATA drive bay is moved to inside the DVR, are the recordings on the drive still accessible?

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Just curious, if a drive that has been running in the external eSATA drive bay is moved to inside the DVR, are the recordings on the drive still accessible?
In theory they would be --but when putting any HD in the DVR -the first thing the receiver Does is wipe that drive and download new software
But if that did not happen then (see) answer below.
Yes--Reason --All recordings are tied to that DVR Access card.

·
Icon
1,175 Posts
Could someone be kind enough to answer my question a few posts back, regarding using a sled with an SSD, and the grounding clips that are attached to the original HDD, if you know the answer? Much appreciated. Post # 925. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Could someone be kind enough to answer my question a few posts back, regarding using a sled with an SSD, and the grounding clips that are attached to the original HDD, if you know the answer? Mush appreciated. Post # 925. Thanks in advance!
the SSD all plastic except for the connection --NO Sled is required --Double side tape to keep it from floating around if needed.

Reactions: harsh

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,614 Posts
Yes, recordings are all tied to the same DVR.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,614 Posts
In theory they would be --but when putting any HD in the DVR -the first thing the receiver Does is wipe that drive and download new software
But if that did not happen then (see) answer below.
Yes--Reason --All recordings are tied to that DVR Access card.
Technically incorrect from what I gather on that one- the recordings are tied to the RID# of the receiver not the access card. OTA recordings are not subject to that restriction- they will play on any DVR (if you move the drive to a different DVR). And if an existing drive is already formatted the first time connecting it to a DVR, it does not re-format the drive by simply moving from eSata to internal, or vice versa. I've done that very procedure in the past.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,614 Posts
If anyone is considering this, and the Samsung EVO SSD, B&H has a pretty good price at the moment. I ordered one, and may get another, for my PC when I redo it, or build a new one. :) Might still use the WD Blue for my HR24, but regardless, it's a good price.
I have a couple QVO's left in my HR24's, and one EVO- for about 3 years now because they were so inexpensive years ago when I purchased them. I've had some issues in the past with the Samsung SSD's as I have previously posted on this thread. I've been gradually switching over to 1TB WD SSD Greens and Blues for my HR24's since I have not experienced any issues compared to the Samsungs after trying a WD Blue for a while. Then main issue I had with a few QVO's is after about a week (on average), the DVR would lock and be unresponsive. I would have to do a RBR to come back to life. Once I started switching over to the WD SSD's in our primary viewing DVR's in a couple rooms of our house, my wife no longer reported that issue. Fingers crossed.

·
Icon
1,175 Posts
I have a couple QVO's left in my HR24's, and one EVO- for about 3 years now because they were so inexpensive years ago when I purchased them. I've had some issues in the past with the Samsung SSD's as I have previously posted on this thread. I've been gradually switching over to 1TB WD SSD Greens and Blues for my HR24's since I have not experienced any issues compared to the Samsungs after trying a WD Blue for a while. Then main issue I had with a few QVO's is after about a week (on average), the DVR would lock and be unresponsive. I would have to do a RBR to come back to life. Once I started switching over to the WD SSD's in our primary viewing DVR's in a couple rooms of our house, my wife no longer reported that issue. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for that feedback! Definitely makes me hesitant. I already had a 500GB EVO on the way before I got back on this kick, but that is intended for my PC, and fresh 10 install. I did order one of the 1TB EVO's the other day, planning to put it in my 24, but now maybe I'll rethink that. It can always be used as storage on my PC, or whatever. I might order a WD Blue for the 24.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,430 Posts
Technically incorrect from what I gather on that one- the recordings are tied to the RID# of the receiver not the access card.
It would be interesting to read that experiment description in details.
Perhaps someone got burned smart card [by his kid], ordered replacement and discovered his DVR still play recordings later ?

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
FWIW, I just replaced my 4TB WD Purple eSATA drive with a 2TB Samsung 870 QVO ($140 at Newegg.com).

Rectangle Font Material property Box Tints and shades

The drive is installed in a Orico 7618SUS3-BK E-SATA HDD Enclosure, a fairly robust device.

Peripheral Output device Gadget Audio equipment Computer hardware

To install an SSD in the enclosure, which is designed for a standard 3.5" HD, a "converter" must be used.

Rectangle Font Technology Electronic component Electronic device

Gadget Audio equipment Electronic instrument Electronic engineering Font

My HR54 immediately recognized the new SSD and formatted it.

Rectangle Gadget Font Computer monitor accessory Display device

Of course, lots of work after the installation (36 Seasons passes, re-scan for OTA channels, set up favorite channels lists, etc.) By the following morning, everything had returned to normal (Channel Logos visible, guide data out two weeks, access to on-demand programs). This was a relatively painless upgrade, and the responsiveness of the DVR has improved noticeably. Highly recommended.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I replaced the sluggish Samsung SSD with another SSD of the same model (Samsung 860 EVO). DVR is responsive again. I rarely record on this DVR, but I do use it alot in double-play mode. About 1 year per SSD is a bit short IMO. But it's better than throwing the remote at the TV. JK :)

Any truth or significant number of experiences that Samsung drives have issues and we should use other brands. Crucial was recommended.
Following up: I had another Samsung SSD of the same model. I replaced the first, and as stated above, the DVR was responsive again. However, after some time (a few weeks?) programs, live TV would stutter and response was poor. I put the original SSD back in and it has been working without issue for several months. No idea why the original started giving me problems, but the replacement started acting up very quickly. Doesn't make sense that the original is working flawlessly but I am not complaining. :)
Side note: This may have been mentioned, I didn't read all the posts, but I have read several articles that claim the chips in current SSDs may be inferior to those that were used when the SSD was tested. Blame supply chain, but also SSD manufacturers for not changing model numbers.

921 - 940 of 971 Posts