DBSTalk Forum banner
941 - 960 of 971 Posts

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
I am having a minor issue after replacing my drive with the SSD. When I set up the Seasons Passes, I selected "Only New Episodes". However, this evening I am getting recordings of shows that are several months old. Doesn't the Seasons Pass algorithm look at the First Aired date and skip the recording if it aired in the past?

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I am having a minor issue after replacing my drive with the SSD. When I set up the Seasons Passes, I selected "Only New Episodes". However, this evening I am getting recordings of shows that are several months old. Doesn't the Seasons Pass algorithm look at the First Aired date and skip the recording if it aired in the past?
only if the Guide DATA is correct and that is supplied by A third party (Not D*TV)

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
only if the Guide DATA is correct and that is supplied by A third party (Not D*TV)
Not sure what you mean. When I click on a recording's Info button, it clearly shows a first aired date in the past, yet it schedules the program to record. Maybe I am missing something?

·
CowboySooner
1,688 Posts
Sorry folks, been perusing the thread but can't come up with a definitive answer. The hard drive in my HR54-500 is failing. It has an e-sata port so I want to use an external drive.
1tb is probably large enough but would consider larger.
Please provide me with some suggestions.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Sorry folks, been perusing the thread but can't come up with a definitive answer. The hard drive in my HR54-500 is failing. It has an e-sata port so I want to use an external drive.
1tb is probably large enough but would consider larger.
Please provide me with some suggestions.
Thanks
The hr54 HD is already 1TB --Would suggest you go larger 2tb or above -unlike the 2 tuners DVR the genie can go up to 16 tb --so go a large as your check book allows

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,614 Posts
I’m using a WD Blue 6TB HDD drive both internal and external, and a ThermalTake dock for 5 years now. But a new TT dock is no longer available (there are some used ones on eBay here and there).

There was a software bug for awhile last year on the Genie where nothing larger than 6TB could be used, but they fixed that since then (although it provided a major inconvenience for several subs during that time).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any particular brand that you would recommend that is proven to work with this DVR? Thanks
i use the adata su800 ssd in my main hr54 box. its been a few months and ive had no issues at all. my 2nd genie has a 1tb seagate 5900rpm video drive. its noisy but otherwise problem free. get the most space you can afford. most people, including myself suggest wd spin drives or go the ssd route. im replacing my seagate with an ssd because its a tad bit too noisy for my liking.

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
I had been using a 4TB WD Purple drive in an external eSATA enclosure, and it worked flawlessly. I recently replaced it with a 2TB Samsung SSD, also using the external eSATA enclosure, just to see how much faster my HR54 performs with the SSD technology. So far, the SSD is performing flawlessly as well. As far as what size to get, I suppose it depends on how much you record and how long you want to keep the recordings. I record quite a few shows, but I delete everything as soon as it is viewed. I rarely go below 90% available space.

·
66 Posts
I’m finally at the point where I have watched all the important stuff on my HR44 and all current recordings are also being recorded on another receiver so I can now finally install my 3TB WD purple drive I’ve had new for years now. I upgraded my HR24 back in November as the drive died so I put in a 2TB in it and I was told it’s a harder process than the HR44 so I’m not anticipating any problems and might tackle it this weekend. The HR24 literally took 15 minutes and I found a video of a guy upgrading the HR54 and it looked easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,614 Posts
I’m finally at the point where I have watched all the important stuff on my HR44 and all current recordings are also being recorded on another receiver so I can now finally install my 3TB WD purple drive I’ve had new for years now. I upgraded my HR24 back in November as the drive died so I put in a 2TB in it and I was told it’s a harder process than the HR44 so I’m not anticipating any problems and might tackle it this weekend. The HR24 literally took 15 minutes and I found a video of a guy upgrading the HR54 and it looked easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are all relatively easy to open, just takes a couple minutes of patience. Fans in my 24’s have died more often than drives over the years. To make it easier, the four plastic side clips on the units are easy to remove along with unscrewing the two underside clips. I put all of them in a plastic bag and have them stored in my DirecTV supplies box.

Now, all covers lift right off with no tools. DirecTV is not really recovering most DVR’s these days and the warranty is pointless for most of them. You likely won’t get a DVR replacement anyways if one goes bad (that has a TV output connection unlike the HS17).

Since all the clips are removed on all my IRD’s, periodically (once every year or two) I’ll remove the cover to carefully blow out dust buildup accumulated inside. It’s a simple maintenance thing.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Since all the clips are removed on all my IRD’s, periodically (once every year or two) I’ll remove the cover to carefully blow out dust buildup accumulated inside. It’s a simple maintenance thing.
I'd recommend carefully vacuuming rather than blowing. Blowing may drive things into places where they can do even more damage.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Use canned air to dust your computer. Canned air is easy to use and is available at most computer and office supply stores. Don't use a vacuum cleaner. A vacuum can create static electricity that can damage computer components.

941 - 960 of 971 Posts