DBSTalk Forum banner
961 - 971 of 971 Posts

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,616 Posts
I'd recommend carefully vacuuming rather than blowing. Blowing may drive things into places where they can do even more damage.
I would never vacuum them, and haven’t for the last 15 years. It’s just a BAD idea. What places in your DirecTV receivers are areas where ‘things’ could cause more damage? And what are ‘things’ that you are referring to?

I use canned air to clean them up. Using an air compressor is a bad idea due to moisture content possibly being applied to the PCB and all the components.

With my routine for so long now, I’ve never had a failure due to my procedure in removing dust from the interior.

Reactions: P Smith and b4pjoe

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,461 Posts
What places in your DirecTV receivers are areas where ‘things’ could cause more damage?
Driving dust into and over-speeding the fan bearings for one. Forcing particles into tight spots around the SMD pads and other nooks and crannies can't be good for airflow.

A proper vacuuming removes particulates rather than spreading them elsewhere.

• Angry
Reactions: P Smith

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Driving dust into and over-speeding the fan bearings for one. Forcing particles into tight spots around the SMD pads and other nooks and crannies can't be good for airflow.

No such thing on and around electronic components. Recipe for disaster.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,616 Posts

The fan cleaning has been discussed. And as they pop out easily on my DVR’s, I can take a baby wipe to carefully clean the crud off it without liquid/agents or anything else getting into the bearings doing damage if the canned air does not clean it off first.

Show me a pic of the inside of one of your DirecTV DVR’s with the nooks and crannies where things are forced into preventing airflow, as I’m not experiencing what you are claiming. Then post a picture of the vacuum you use too, along with the MFR and model number. I’ve never heard someone seriously recommend this before. 🧐

·
66 Posts
I made the swap last night and it was quick and easy just like my HR24 was. I got the unit back in July 2014 and I do keep a very clean home theater room and my equipment stand under my tv is cleaned throughly and is free of dust but I still expected to see some dust inside the unit but there was none, it was extremely clean still. I bought a 3TB WD Purple drive back in 2015 and just put it in now, all these years later I wish I had got a 5 or 6 TB but 3 is still much more than the 1 that is comes with. The two sided tape attached to the old drive & heatsink isn’t sticky anymore obviously but I used it on the new drive anyway. The stock drive still works fine so I stored it away for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,616 Posts
I’m at about 72% full on my 6TB WD Blue with my HR54. It has slowed down remote response/commands a little bit but overall still pretty decent. My HR24’s with SSD’s currently operate faster than my HR54.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #968 ·
This August, it will be four years with SSDs in my HRs. Not one drive failure in that time.

I'm disconnecting all my DVRs the day after tomorrow and ending my satellite subscription. A little over a month ago, I did a five-day trial of Direct TV Stream and five days wasn't enough time to evaluate that service. So, I bought four streaming boxes and paid for the streaming service and the satellite service, fully intending to return the streaming boxes at the end of the month and keep the sat service.

I haven't used an HR in weeks; my wife has been using the streaming service and has had very few problems. The DVR function is easier to use than an HR. I made the call a few minutes ago; I'm done. It's been a trip.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
This August, it will be four years with SSDs in my HRs. Not one drive failure in that time.

I'm disconnecting all my DVRs the day after tomorrow and ending my satellite subscription. A little over a month ago, I did a five-day trial of Direct TV Stream and five days wasn't enough time to evaluate that service. So, I bought four streaming boxes and paid for the streaming service and the satellite service, fully intending to return the streaming boxes at the end of the month and keep the sat service.

I haven't used an HR in weeks; my wife has been using the streaming service and has had very few problems. The DVR function is easier to use than an HR. I made the call a few minutes ago; I'm done. It's been a trip.
Do you have unlimited internet? I'm capped -that's the only reason I haven't left

Reactions: Rich

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #970 ·
Do you have unlimited internet? I'm capped -that's the only reason I haven't left
I must have an unlimited plan, I've never had a problem and my son is a gamer, he's on all the time when he's home.

The only problem I've had is the lack of one of my locals, which carries several Mets and Yankees games. I can live with that. It must be a carriage problem, the D* sat service has WPIX, but the streamer doesn't. I'll find out why the next time I call...if they know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dont know I think I'd rather have my own drives over cloud dvr. I guess weather doesn't affect it is nice. I dont like they delete recordings and it's not really unlimited. Recordings expire after 9 months. In a series recording, max 30 episodes stored (oldest deleted first which may be in less than 9 months). It be nice if you had an option with that service to download things you want to keep or keep longer.

961 - 971 of 971 Posts