DBSTalk Forum banner
1001 - 1013 of 1013 Posts

· AllStar
1,413 Posts
<----- It's slow a molasses to reboot but does work. Must be an issue the the WD blue drive I am using. Was hoping for a performance boost with the ssd. Anyone with a hr21-700 successfully get an SSD to work? If so please share.
I had been running an SSD on an HR21-700 (500GB Samsung EVO in an older Thermaltake dock). Worked fairly well, but eventually required weekly reboots or would lock up.

Definitely was a performance boost (as much as an HR21 could get). Had other drives on that unit in that dock that worked without reboots but were slow.

Also tried a 1TB EVO in an HR20 (in an Oyen eclosure) but had the same problem of needing regular restarts. Wound up putting that SSD into a PC and cloning the HR data back to the PC's old HDD drive and the HR20 more or less works great since, until it started getting full lately. PC couldn't be better, though. (The gory details are further up this thread for both HRs.)

I have yet to try a different brand SSD on an HR, but would like to.

Although those required restarts were kind of a nuisance, the "improved" performance on the HR21 was almost worth it.

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,003 ·
The software download did not seem to complete. Eventually the dvr rebooted. Same issue after rebuilding scheduler. At that point I just connected the orginal drive. It's slow a molasses to reboot but does work. Must be an issue the the WD blue drive I am using. Was hoping for a performance boost with the ssd. Anyone with a hr21-700 successfully get an SSD to work? If so please share.
Yeah, I used SSDs for a few years and had no problems as you have had. How do you have the SSD mounted, internally or externally? If it's mounted externally, what kind of enclosure are you using?

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,004 ·

· Mentor
101 Posts
Sorry I forgot it report back. On Jun 26 I bought a Samsung Evo 870. Booted right up. It's installed internally. Hopefully I won't have any problems with the hr21. My hr24 has a crucial drive for about 1 year. No issues...

· Go Pack Go!!!!
2,778 Posts
There's a bunch of savings on SSD's during Amazon Prime- WD Blue 1TB down to $84, 2TB down to $169. I'm picking up a couple extras for the rest of my 24's.

Reactions: P Smith

· Legend
847 Posts
Not like y'all really need one more confirmation but I was having a problem with my HR24 - wouldn't go past "step 1 of 2 - searching for satellite signal" so I replaced the internal drive with a 500GB Western Digital Blue SSD ($44 at Best Buy) and it fixed it. It's also much faster than it was before, too!

Reactions: Rich

· Go Pack Go!!!!
2,778 Posts
Not like y'all really need one more confirmation but I was having a problem with my HR24 - wouldn't go past "step 1 of 2 - searching for satellite signal" so I replaced the internal drive with a 500GB Western Digital Blue SSD ($44 at Best Buy) and it fixed it. It's also much faster than it was before, too!
Welcome to the club! 👏

Reactions: Rich

· Mentor
50 Posts
I put the same drive in an external enclosure about a month ago in one of my HR24, runs like a new machine.

Reactions: P Smith

· Go Pack Go!!!!
2,778 Posts
People more and more are finally getting the drift. The improvement is immense. Even reboot times compared to the bogged down magnetic drives.

· Legend
847 Posts
People more and more are finally getting the drift. The improvement is immense. Even reboot times compared to the bogged down magnetic drives.
I've had Directv since 1996 and been a member here (with a previous account) about as long as one could be and at one time was much more active. With Directv having the same crap equipment for a long time, I've pretty much checked out on caring about it - especially as I've watched far less TV than I used too......but that said, I should have done this SSD upgrade long ago. Today I added an SSD to my 5th and final HR24 - all internal upgrades as I don't want wires hanging off them. The response time and user experience is unbelievably better.

Not that it matters now but I do wonder if back in the days I was suffering through the HR21/22/23 years if they couldn't have been made much better by simply replacing/reformatting those drives. I know adding an SSD would have been a huge upgrade but that was way back when we couldn't really get them.

At any rate - this is just a message to let everyone to do this upgrade - it's very worth it.

· DBSTalk Club Member
462 Posts
Good info in this thread. I put an older Crucial 250GB SSD into an (even older) HR20-700 and it worked OK except for the fact that every 4-5 days, the video became herky-jerky and required a reboot to fix. Yesterday I tried replacing the Crucial with a new 500GB WD Blue, but it didn't work out -- during startup, the DVR would reboot when the "Receiving satellite info" reached 29%. Replaced the WD drive with a Microfrom SSD I'd pulled from a PC, and it is (so far) working fine. Will take a few days to see if it develops the same issue as the Crucial.

1001 - 1013 of 1013 Posts