DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Icon
Joined
·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded a week ago. I don't have the protection plan. So if my "leased" dvr goes bad will dtv send me a new one? Will this then restart my 2 yr contract with them? If it does do I have the option to cancel w/o any early termination fees?
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
764 Posts
markrubi said:
I upgraded a week ago. I don't have the protection plan. So if my "leased" dvr goes bad will dtv send me a new one? Will this then restart my 2 yr contract with them? If it does do I have the option to cancel w/o any early termination fees?
yes the hr20 is covered for replacement without protections plan. No it will not affect your agreement, they just replace it and life goes on, as far as I know
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
HolmesCo said:
yes the hr20 is covered for replacement without protections plan. No it will not affect your agreement, they just replace it and life goes on, as far as I know
Yes it's probably covered within 90 days of when you bought it or something like, but there's nothing in writing that I've ever seen that says they'll send you a new HR20 whenever it breaks. I was told on the phone when I activated mine it was up to me to buy another one if it fails if I don't have the protection plan.

If anyone has it feel free to post a written agreement from DIRECTV that says they'll replace the HR20 whenever it breaks.

The chances are the customer service rep. on the phone would send you a new or refurbished one and have you send them the bad one to keep you as a customer, but there's nothing that says they have to.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
764 Posts
Hmm, well it is their equipment, and I was sure never told anything about 90 days. I was told that though I have a protection plan, it is not needed with the hr20. that if it ever fails they will replace it.

We have leased it for two years, and that means, they have to provide you with a working one===, for two years anyway. What I am really qutie puzzled about is what happens after that two years has expired?? Do we have to rre-lease it for another $299 ?? I asked one cs rep that and she said no way, just a one time charge. But who knows?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
HolmesCo said:
Hmm, well it is their equipment, and I was sure never told anything about 90 days. I was told that though I have a protection plan, it is not needed with the hr20. that if it ever fails they will replace it.
We have leased it for two years, and that means, they have to provide you with a working one===, for two years anyway. What I am really qutie puzzled about is what happens after that two years has expired?? Do we have to rre-lease it for another $299 ?? I asked one cs rep that and she said no way, just a one time charge. But who knows?
The two years is a programing commitment. The leased hardware will be replaced but it can be "reconditioned" and when you terminate you will be required to return it. The "90 days" is on a service call AND D* will charge [$70+] for each of them [after 90 days].
I just got off the phone to customer retention, for "this week's" reconditioned unit. They're sending another NEW unit this time.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
764 Posts
veryoldschool said:
The two years is a programing commitment. The leased hardware will be replaced but it can be "reconditioned" and when you terminate you will be required to return it. The "90 days" is on a service call AND D* will charge [$70+] for each of them [after 90 days].
I just got off the phone to customer retention, for "this week's" reconditioned unit. They're sending another NEW unit this time.
WHat do you mean a service call? This msg confuses me.

Are you saying after 90 days that I would be expected to pay $70 for a replacment if needed? I guess I will keep my protection plan after all if thats the case.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
867 Posts
Currently, Direct will replace a leased receiver that goes bad with another leased receiver. The cost of this replacement is about $20 and they ship the unit to you. Yes, the replacement is a reconditioned unit, not new. And no, getting another unit does not put you into another contract - the beauty of leasing.

This is based on experience with a standard def receiver. I am making the assumption that it would apply to the HR20 as well.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
HolmesCo said:
WHat do you mean a service call? This msg confuses me.
Are you saying after 90 days that I would be expected to pay $70 for a replacment if needed? I guess I will keep my protection plan after all if thats the case.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. A service call would be having a "tech" [and I use this very loosely] come to your house. A replacement unit can be shipped straight to you [without the tech]. So if you've had a tech come out, you can have another service call within the 90 days for free [and maybe this will restart the 90 days], but after the 90 days, if you need to have a tech come out you will be charged for it. Now you can ***** & they have credited my account for the $70.
I have trees that will block my signals, so the two year commitment was a concern. I will need to pay for a service call to have it verified AND then D* will let me out of my remaining programing commitment without penalty.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
764 Posts
veryoldschool said:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. A service call would be having a "tech" [and I use this very loosely] come to your house. A replacement unit can be shipped straight to you [without the tech]. So if you've had a tech come out, you can have another service call within the 90 days for free [and maybe this will restart the 90 days], but after the 90 days, if you need to have a tech come out you will be charged for it. Now you can ***** & they have credited my account for the $70.
I have trees that will block my signals, so the two year commitment was a concern. I will need to pay for a service call to have it verified AND then D* will let me out of my remaining programing commitment without penalty.
ok thx for clarifying that part. What I am still not clear about is, since I don't want or need a service tech to install a replacement, is there still some charge to get it during these two years, if needed. Sorory if I am being dense. Its not the first time. :)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
HolmesCo said:
ok thx for clarifying that part. What I am still not clear about is, since I don't want or need a service tech to install a replacement, is there still some charge to get it during these two years, if needed. Sorory if I am being dense. Its not the first time. :)
Dense? You don't know me.:lol:
The two years has nothing to do with the hardware. It is a programing commitment with D*.
The hardware is a lease as long as you have it, so D* will keep replacing it as long as you lease it. I haven't been charged shipping yet for replacement units [5 times now].
If you can disconnect your old unit & reconnect the new one, there's no charge. If you need someone to "play with the dish" that would cost you [after the 90 days]. Most times you don't.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
764 Posts
veryoldschool said:
Dense? You don't know me.:lol:
The two years has nothing to do with the hardware. It is a programing commitment with D*.
The hardware is a lease as long as you have it, so D* will keep replacing it as long as you lease it. I haven't been charged shipping yet for replacement units [5 times now].
If you can disconnect your old unit & reconnect the new one, there's no charge. If you need someone to "play with the dish" that would cost you [after the 90 days]. Most times you don't.
I see we are semi neighbors, you being in N.Cal. So any clue what happens at the end of two years? We just keep using the hr20 and have no more programming cmmitment, but of ocurse would have to return it if we cancelled from them. Is that the basic picture? Who needs it if you aren't getting theri service anyway.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
268 Posts
markrubi said:
I upgraded a week ago. I don't have the protection plan. So if my "leased" dvr goes bad will dtv send me a new one? Will this then restart my 2 yr contract with them? If it does do I have the option to cancel w/o any early termination fees?
In my experience, every interaction with DirecTV results in a renewal of your 2-year commitment.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,655 Posts
The warranty on an HD - DVR itself is one year. So within one year there would not be any charge for a replacement, i.e. $19.95 S&H. Protection Plan will cover you no matter when the problem happens.

So, it is all up to you on whether or not the keep the protection plan. It can be a good thing, it's a just in case type thing.

I would have it, but I know most things to fix on my own, so I do not personally have it. But if I had no care, or did not know about the equipment, I would!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
HolmesCo said:
I see we are semi neighbors, you being in N.Cal. So any clue what happens at the end of two years? We just keep using the hr20 and have no more programming cmmitment, but of ocurse would have to return it if we cancelled from them. Is that the basic picture? Who needs it if you aren't getting theri service anyway.
As far west of Sacramento you are, I'm east. I think you've "got it". The unit will work as a [poor] OTA tuner without a D* subscription [until a software update], but that's about it. When you're tired of it you send it back, before or after your two years is up.
I heard today [from D*] that Sony will be coming out with a MPEG-4 HD-DVR with a DVD burner for D* in June. This may be what we will all want if they can't get the HR-20 working. I don't know how or whether it's own or lease.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
764 Posts
veryoldschool said:
As far west of Sacramento you are, I'm east. I think you've "got it". The unit will work as a [poor] OTA tuner without a D* subscription [until a software update], but that's about it. When you're tired of it you send it back, before or after your two years is up.
I heard today [from D*] that Sony will be coming out with a MPEG-4 HD-DVR with a DVD burner for D* in June. This may be what we will all want if they can't get the HR-20 working. I don't know how or whether it's own or lease.
Actually I have a big roof antenna and bring in all the sacto locals very nicely. Had it connected to my ant input before I got the hr20. Tried SF, but theres a big tree in myh neighbors yard blocking it, could only get about 50% signal strength. The sactos I get in mid 90s.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
828 Posts
veryoldschool said:
As far west of Sacramento you are, I'm east. I think you've "got it". The unit will work as a [poor] OTA tuner without a D* subscription [until a software update], but that's about it. When you're tired of it you send it back, before or after your two years is up.
I heard today [from D*] that Sony will be coming out with a MPEG-4 HD-DVR with a DVD burner for D* in June. This may be what we will all want if they can't get the HR-20 working. I don't know how or whether it's own or lease.
Holy moley!!
If the DVD burner is HD/BLU-RAY, Katey bar the door. Who wouldn't sign up for this if you could burn 1080i/p movies with DD 5.1 off of PPV or one of the premium channels.

A more realistic probability is that the burner would use a 480i/p signal similar to a set top dvd recorder.

Any further details or sources for info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

ps. a high def version would certainly meet the qualification for my signature.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
rsblaski said:
Holy moley!!
If the DVD burner is HD/BLU-RAY, Katey bar the door. Who wouldn't sign up for this if you could burn 1080i/p movies with DD 5.1 off of PPV or one of the premium channels.
A more realistic probability is that the burner would use a 480i/p signal similar to a set top dvd recorder.
Any further details or sources for info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick
ps. a high def version would certainly meet the qualification for my signature.
You now know as much as I was told by D* customer retention. Maybe after CES we'll know more, but I'm sure it will go for a "premium", so in my house Katie may not need to for a while.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top