DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my new HR20 comes in, it will be going into an entertainment center with less airflow than the previous. I've already bought a USB-powered fan and I think it will be fine, especially in the Southern California "winter".

Still I wonder, what happens to the HR20 if it's overheating? What I mean is, does the temperature sensor actually have the brains to shut the unit down before it melts the mainboard, or not? I plan on checking it carefully for a couple weeks after installation, but seriously, I can't be checking the temperature full-time, even if I do get that slingbox.

Anyone had any experiences?

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
If the HR20 gets waayyy too hot--"China Syndrome" :) :)

If it doesn't shutdown automatically, then the disk drive will start to soft fail causing problems with recording and replay first.

Merry Christmas,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
lamontcranston said:
When my new HR20 comes in, it will be going into an entertainment center with less airflow than the previous. I've already bought a USB-powered fan and I think it will be fine, especially in the Southern California "winter".

Still I wonder, what happens to the HR20 if it's overheating? What I mean is, does the temperature sensor actually have the brains to shut the unit down before it melts the mainboard, or not? I plan on checking it carefully for a couple weeks after installation, but seriously, I can't be checking the temperature full-time, even if I do get that slingbox.

Anyone had any experiences?
Yes it does.
The unit does have thermal protection built in.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it's nice to know it's not going to start a fire anyway. Thanks, Earl and tibber!

·
ke6cdn
424 Posts
Does the phrase "manifold cooking" ring a bell?

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
Be careful to rely on D* thermal shutdown. The problem isn't if this spikes thru the roof and D* shuts the box down so it doesn't melt your rack or TV....the issue is running hot over a long period of time and the damage it causes to the internal components. Most notably, is the HDD. I know there are settop specific HDDs and I'm sure D* must be using this version but even then only 60C which is 140F. HDDs are very suspetable to heat so having a cooled environment is only to your benefit for long-life use.

Just two cents.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip - I'm going to do whatever I can to keep problems from happening.

·
Legend
159 Posts
lamontcranston said:
Thanks for the tip - I'm going to do whatever I can to keep problems from happening.
I wouldn't stress about it too much. I have mine in a cabinet that has some venting in the top/back. It also has a VCR on top of it (that I jacked up about 1/2 inch using some of the kids legos) and it seldom runs at more than 127' F. From other posts this is well within its normal range.

I guess if you already have the fan go ahead and use it, but you might be surprised to find its not necessary.

Steve

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Legend
159 Posts
lamontcranston said:
Yeah, actually I have the fan - per a post in this forum I picked up one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...=&origkw=usb+fan&kw=usb+fan&parentPage=search

which is a slick little unit with a retractable cord and speed control. Not bad for $20.
Yeah, that's a neat little fan. I'd be curious to know how noisy/quiet it is. My cabinet has the components divided into three compartments. The one where my amp lives gets pretty hot - but I could plug something like you have there into my HR20 and cool the amp instead.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
35 Posts
For what it is worth. I have 2 in cabinets. One has a bunch more space around it then the other one does but they are both running in the 125-127 range. Seems stable for about the last 3 months, thus I have not worried about a fan.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
155 Posts
I use one of these:

http://www.spirecoolers.com/acc.asp?ProdID=85

I put four small stick-on non skid feet on the top over the screws at either side of the unit and placed it upside down on top of my HR20 so it draws heat out and vents it to the rear of the unit. It has two speeds and at the slower one, which still moves quite a bit of air, the sound is barely audible, and it is USB powered. My HR20 now runs at a constant 100 degrees although I am using an external eSATA hard drive as well which may also contribute to the lower internal temperature.

I originally found these when I was searching for a way to keep my H20-600 from lighting on fire.

·
Legend
189 Posts
One of mine is currently running at 129F with the cabinet door opened in a relatively cool room (68F). I had to move the HR20 and place it on top of my audio receiver because on the top shelf, it severely distorted the color/picture of my TV. Should be interesting to see how hot the box gets in the summer.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I had a really big fan on mine for a couple of months, then removed it. The fan did lower the temp about 20 degrees. My HR20 is in a closed entertainment center, but has lots of free space front, back, and top.

There seemed to be no difference in how often it needed resetting, with fan or without.

One would think the HR20 would live longer if kept cool, but I decided to quit worrying about it.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I've got the new unit in the entertainment center. With the fan running roughly 50% speed, it's kept the temp to 115 last night. I'll see how it looks tonight.

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
lamontcranston said:
Well, I've got the new unit in the entertainment center. With the fan running roughly 50% speed, it's kept the temp to 115 last night. I'll see how it looks tonight.
So how noisy is that fan? I have an R15 in the bedroom that has a fan that is noisier than a jet engine. If I could put a quieter fan on it that runs all the time to keep the R15 fan from running I would be very happy. I'm a heavy sleeper and that fan has woke me up during the night.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's got a knob to adjust the speed. At the lowest, it's pretty quiet, quieter than the internal fan in the R10 [DirecTivo]. At its loudest it's loud enough to drown out the hard drive noise on the HR20. You could turn the fan down to its lowest speed and see if that keeps the internal fan in the R15 from kicking in. For $20 it's a pretty good deal. I might pick up another one and put it in my computer desk as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.