DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
AllStar
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been scouring this board and the web for some clues as to what HD channels DirecTV will add next year after it launches the new birds.

I saw the HD Predictions interview recently with the DTV exec talking about more than 100 new HD channels, but does anyone have a clue as to what they will be? A thread on this site or an article somewhere ...

I also wonder if anyone has done a poll on what HD channels (that already exist) that they would like to see. Personally, I want more regional sports channels in HD.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
Nobody really knows for sure. A lot of those "100+ new channels" are local HDTV channels for major cities across the country. When the new Ka-band satellites go active in early 2007, though, there should be enough capacity for some new nationwide HDTV channels.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
jbart1965,

Please don't ask for another poll??? There are at least two, I believe, that have gotten lots of responses - a fair number of which don't even produce an HD channel offering (such as SciFi).

Besides who knows how many HBO___ (somethings), Cinemax____ somethings and that such thing that may have an HD alter ego, some of the ones mentioned that I believe DO have an HD offering are National Geographic HD, Food Tv, Home and Garden. I have a feeling if you do a search on "add HD D*" or something like that you would come up with a few threads where this is discussed at length.

·
Godfather
432 Posts
JLucPicard said:
jbart1965,

Please don't ask for another poll??? There are at least two, I believe, that have gotten lots of responses - a fair number of which don't even produce an HD channel offering (such as SciFi).

Besides who knows how many HBO___ (somethings), Cinemax____ somethings and that such thing that may have an HD alter ego, some of the ones mentioned that I believe DO have an HD offering are National Geographic HD, Food Tv, Home and Garden. I have a feeling if you do a search on "add HD D*" or something like that you would come up with a few threads where this is discussed at length.
Well put.:eek2:

·
Godfather
306 Posts
Superstation WGN claimes they are in negotiation to bring their HD feed to both D* and E*.

they also claim that they are closer to making a deal with D*...whatever that means. I guess it could mean D* has offered more money thusfar, or possibly, they are closer to providing more HD channels.

Either way, WGN in HD would be nice before next baseball season.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
jimbo09 said:
Superstation WGN claimes they are in negotiation to bring their HD feed to both D* and E*.

they also claim that they are closer to making a deal with D*...whatever that means. I guess it could mean D* has offered more money thusfar, or possibly, they are closer to providing more HD channels.

Either way, WGN in HD would be nice before next baseball season.
No Tribune-owned stations are yet carried in HD by either D* or E* (it would have been nice to watch the playoffs and world series in HD from Seattle, not to mention most of the Seahawks games are carried by the Tribune-owned local Fox station). There have been rumors that Tribune is trying to work out a package deal for ALL of their stations.

·
Godfather
262 Posts
If all goes to plan, I would believe D* would add every possible national HD they can, as they will have the most capacity out of anyone.

It seems like D* is pushing major channels to go HD...knowing many cable providers and E* will not have the capacity when they will.

·
Legend
210 Posts
cookpr said:
If all goes to plan, I would believe D* would add every possible national HD they can, as they will have the most capacity out of anyone.

It seems like D* is pushing major channels to go HD...knowing many cable providers and E* will not have the capacity when they will.
im just curiuos to see how many channels they add before they JACK UP the price!!!!

·
Godfather
259 Posts
What I wonder is....

If they truly will have more BW than anyone else to add HD, will they go back to 1920x1080i and will they dramatically increase their ridiculously low sample rates, or will they stick to the quantity over quality gameplan that has driven them the last 10 years?

I bet they increase rez and bit rates. Why wouldn't they if they have the room?

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
Maybe, since there won't be enough programming to fill the bandwidth for quite a while. My 42 in. plasma can't tell the difference (1024x768), so I don't really care at this point.

Which leads one to wonder what will happen in the future when there is more HD content available. I haven't seen anything yet on DTV's plans beyond D10 and 11.

·
Godfather
259 Posts
bobnielsen said:
Maybe, since there won't be enough programming to fill the bandwidth for quite a while. My 42 in. plasma can't tell the difference (1024x768), so I don't really care at this point.

Which leads one to wonder what will happen in the future when there is more HD content available. I haven't seen anything yet on DTV's plans beyond D10 and 11.
You're right. IN my opinion the bit-starving is the biggest problem with D* HD. I think the lower rez gets the blame because people don't really understand digital sampling, but can easily understand "number of dots oin the screen".

I think they need to really incrase sample rates, even doubling it in some cases. I really don't care if they stick to 1280x1080i.

·
Godfather
306 Posts
The new ESPN/Big Ten channel will definitely be on D* next year. It is guaranteed to be on the lowest tier programming package (Total choice) with the other ESPNs. The link below has all the fact sheets and number of games to be broadcast. It doesn't specifically state it will be an HD channel, but I can't imagine it not going HD before the 2007 season kicks off.

http://bigten.cstv.com/genrel/062106aad.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.