DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

· Legend
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) SWM
I HATE this stupid thing. It's bad enough that it's needed at all but I have had two installers and one technical assistant tell me that I can't plug this thing into a surge protector or UPS;It has to be plugged directly into the wall outlet.

2)Broadband Decca
One MORE thing I have to find a free space for on my surge protector and yet another coaxial cable I have to deal with.

3)DECCA
At least I don't have to plug this thing in but it's just one more thing I have to contend with if I ever move my DVR.
I could launch shuttles to mars and take over several small countries with less equipment than this.

4)Not enough basic channels in HD. Same complaint here everybody else has : Where's BBC America HD? DIY HD? National Geographic Wild HD? Cooking Channel HD?

5)Technical Support
Every time I call DTV with any kind of technical problem I am treated like a brain damaged slobbering numbskull and I'm tired of it. Did you reset the DVR? Did you unplug the DVR? Did you check all of the coaxial cables to make sure nothing's loose? Did you unplug the DECCA to reset it? Did you check to make sure everything's plugged in? Did you make sure there aren't any red lights on any thing?
Yes YES YES

I did all of that already. I do all of that crap before I call and I check my coaxial cables at least every two weeks.

6)When i record a program I get about three minutes of the program that comes on after that program. What I hate about that is that the info banner doesn't change when that happens. That's really irritating if you forget you're watching a recording and not live TV. You push the info button and the info banner is still saying the program you just watched but the credits just finished on that movie so you know it isn't that so what the (*(&^*&^( is it?! What really sucks is when you forget that what you're watching is that 3 minute buffer and you start watching it. And just as you start getting into the show or movie the dialog pops up asking you if you want to delete the recording.
\...End rant...switches back to decaf...

· Registered
8,820 Posts
Red Orc said:
[...]

I did all of that already. I do all of that crap before I call and I check my coaxial cables at least every two weeks.

\...End rant...switches back to decaf...
Sorry you hate all of that but I have to ask what's wrong with your cables if you have to check them every two weeks? It may be better to replace them if there are that many cable issues.

· Hall Of Fame
8,426 Posts
Red Orc said:
Why do you have to Check your Coax Cables at least every two weeks???

I haven't checked mine in over a year. How can they come loose? They are screwed in.

Maybe you are Not Technically Minded.

· AllStar
2,174 Posts
1. My SWM is not plugged into the wall. It's in my Monster energy saving/cleaning/whatever-it's-called fancy surge protector and works just fine.

2/3. I moved mine recently and non of that stuff really affected anything. I just left it all in the order it was and moved it as one thing. It is a pain, but what is does is cool!

4. Yeah, I hear ya. You gotta agree that the quality of what we DO have is better than cable, though, right?!!? I want DIY, NGW, IFC, and whatever else they can give us but not if it ruins the HD we have now.

5. I can't comment on that; I have never had a problem and have only called Directv directly to "move" - I got it set up via a retailer who explained everything I needed to know when I got it installed. Nothing has gone wrong. I don't lose my signal in heavy rain. Sounds like you need to have someone come and just re-do it all if you need it checked every two weeks!

6. Decaf is lame! Stick to the real stuff.

· Hall Of Fame
8,426 Posts
Red Orc said:
Not enough basic channels in HD. Same complaint here everybody else has : Where's BBC America HD? DIY HD? National Geographic Wild HD? Cooking Channel HD?
Well, if you want to Pay a lot more for your Directv then they could give you everything you ask for. They are in the process continually negotiating for these Channels but if the Content Providers are trying to Stiff Directv and Directv doesn't want to pass along Excess Fees to their Customers then they put off signing a Contract until the Price comes down much like the NFL, NBA, NBL does during Negotiations.

· Legend
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scott Kocourek said:
Sorry you hate all of that but I have to ask what's wrong with your cables if you have to check them every two weeks? It may be better to replace them if there are that many cable issues.
There isn't any thing wrong with them. It's just something I'm anal about.
When I first switched to HD I had a lot of new equipment to get used to and every time I called DTV with a technical problem it seemed like that was always one of the first things I was asked so I check all my cables every once in a while. I've got a lot of things plugged in & connected in that room and it's a little embarrassing (and a waste of time) to call DTV thinking I have a problem just to find out something is unplugged.
For example if my On Demand won't work I have to make sure the broadband DEECCA cable modem wireless router and SWM are all plugged in and don't have any loose cables. It's a lot easier to check this stuff on my own every once in a while.

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
SWM is a technology that is necessary. Otherwise more coax cables would be necessary. Not all boxes need one.

We know we're getting basic HD in the next month or two. Whether its on the list, we don't know, but very possible for sure.

Autopad is actually a good feature. Sometimes shows start early or end late, autopad helps that a lot.

· Legend
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Richierich said:
Well, if you want to Pay a lot more for your Directv then they could give you everything you ask for. They are in the process continually negotiating for these Channels but if the Content Providers are trying to Stiff Directv and Directv doesn't want to pass along Excess Fees to their Customers then they put off signing a Contract until the Price comes down much like the NFL, NBA, NBL does during Negotiations.
I always thought it was a bandwidth issue. It never occurred to me that this could be a money issue. I didn't know there was that much drama associated with getting the rights to air sports. I don't watch sports so I never really paid any attention.

· Hall Of Fame
8,426 Posts
Red Orc said:
Technical Support:Every time I call DTV with any kind of technical problem I am treated like a brain damaged slobbering numbskull and I'm tired of it. Did you reset the DVR? Did you unplug the DVR? Did you check all of the coaxial cables to make sure nothing's loose? Did you unplug the DECA to reset it? Did you check to make sure everything's plugged in? Did you make sure there aren't any red lights on any thing?
Directv Could Hire Psychic CSRs but they Cost More and then you would ***** about the Cost. They don't know what is causing your problem so they have to go thru a Script of all Possible Things that Could Cause you to have Your Problem and by a Process of Elimination they may find the problem without having to sent out a Directv Installer.

Yes it can be frustrating as I have had to do it many many times but you just have to be Patient and ask for Technical Services if you don't think the Front Line CSR can be of help to you.

Drinking Too Much Caffeine or Alcohol can cause you to be Irrational and Too Emotional so work on those Issues and get back to me Next Week!!! That will be $100 for today's Therapy!!! :lol:

By the way I would Love to have HLN in HD but not if it is going to cost me more money as I don't watch it at all but my wife likes it.

And Oh By The Way, DECCA is Spelled DECA (Directv Ethernet Coaxial Adapter) which allows you to use your Coax as an Ethernet Cable and it works much better with WHDVR Service than your Own LAN Network. :)

· Legend
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dpeters11 said:
SWM is a technology that is necessary. Otherwise more coax cables would be necessary. Not all boxes need one.

We know we're getting basic HD in the next month or two. Whether its on the list, we don't know, but very possible for sure.

Autopad is actually a good feature. Sometimes shows start early or end late, autopad helps that a lot.
I was wondering if that feature had an actual name. I like the feature I just don't like the way it's implemented. If I watch say Conspiracy Theory and autopad records the first few minutes of the next show or movie the info banner should change to tell you you're watching the first few minutes of another show not continue to show Conspiracy Theory. There's been a few times when I liked what was recorded in those few minutes but I didn't know what it was because the info banner didn't change.

· Legend
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Richierich said:
Directc Could Hire Psychic CSRs but they Cost More and then you would ***** about the Cost. They don't know what is causing your problem so they have to go thru a Script of all Possible Things that Could cause you to have your problem and by a Process of Elimination they may find the problem without having to sent out a Directv Installer.
Yes it can be frustrating as I have had to do it many many times but you just have to be Patient and ask for Technical Services if you don't think the Front Line CSR can be of help to you.

Drinking Too Much Caffeine or Alocohol can cause you to be Irrational and Too Emotional so work on those Issues and get back to me Next Week!!! That will be $100 for today's Therapy!!! :lol:

By the way I would Love to have HLN in HD but not if it is going to cost me more money as I don't watch it at all but my wife likes it.

And Oh By The Way, DECCA is Spelled DECA (Directv Ethernet Coaxial Adapter) which allows you to use your Coax as an Ethernet Cable and it works much better with WHDVR Service than your Own LAN Network. :)
Actually I was thinking of just giving customers ratings on their technical knowledge. If you start out talking about DECCA's broadband DECCA's SWM's ethernet cables they should be able to add a note to you file indicating that have some technical knowledge.
T0 for the technologically challenged T2 for intermediate & so on...

By the way I like that psychic CSR idea!
"Thank you for calling Direct TV. We know who you are where you are and we know what your problem is so sit tight and and I'll be happy to tell you exactly how to fix it! By the way your wife wants you to know that you spend entirely too much time watching the Playboy channel. Thank you again for choosing Direct TV and don't worry because you're going to have a great day today. But tomorrow's gonna be terrible!"

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
My biggest complaint about D* is the whiners it attracts.

4 of the 6 things you mention are PLUSES (SWiM, DECA, Autopad)

As for lack of HD, they have 99% of the channels people watch.

As for Customer Service, they're continually ranked higher than everyone else, and it's been great for me.

Is it perfect? No. Are there things that could be better? Absolutely. But the things you've outlined aren't worth ranting about.

· Hall Of Fame
6,087 Posts
Red Orc said:
I always thought it was a bandwidth issue. It never occurred to me that this could be a money issue. I didn't know there was that much drama associated with getting the rights to air sports. I don't watch sports so I never really paid any attention.
Yeah, it is much about the money too. Look at the recent increases and channel moves. The word initially was we would see about 4% and others said that the actual progamming cost increase to D* was around 10%. So it appeared we were getting some break in the increase.

But then the 9th of Feb rolled around and the new package changes and you can see that not only did Xtra go up, unless you kept the Xtra Classic, you lost channels to higher programming tiers. That is a direct connection between increased programmng costs and what we pay.

· Always Searching
1,940 Posts
Red Orc said:
1) SWM
I HATE this stupid thing. It's bad enough that it's needed at all but I have had two installers and one technical assistant tell me that I can't plug this thing into a surge protector or UPS;It has to be plugged directly into the wall outlet.

Everyone that has told you this is incorrect; does that make you like now? From a technical standpoint SWM is vastly superior to the previous technology -- if for no other reason than the automatic gain control it provides.

2)Broadband Decca
One MORE thing I have to find a free space for on my surge protector and yet another coaxial cable I have to deal with.

A broadband DECA is not a required component. If you do not utilize on-demand, TvApps, Pandora, YouTube, or Mediashare you can unplug it. It is not necessary for Whole Home DVR

3)DECCA
At least I don't have to plug this thing in but it's just one more thing I have to contend with if I ever move my DVR.
I could launch shuttles to mars and take over several small countries with less equipment than this.

If you had a legacy setup you would still have a little box behind most receivers (BBC.) Newer receivers have built in DECA, so...

6)When i record a program I get about three minutes of the program that comes on after that program.

I can't believe anyone would complain about this feature...
It sounds as if reading a bit about the technology would help you understand why it's necessary, and the benefits it provides.

· Legend
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
spartanstew said:
My biggest complaint about D* is the whiners it attracts.

4 of the 6 things you mention are PLUSES (SWiM, DECA, Autopad)

As for lack of HD, they have 99% of the channels people watch.

As for Customer Service, they're continually ranked higher than everyone else, and it's been great for me.

Is it perfect? No. Are there things that could be better? Absolutely. But the things you've outlined aren't worth ranting about.
How is a DECA A plus? Is having a Deca eliminating the need for something else that's even more cumbersome?
When I originally got DTV I had SD. All I had was two coaxial cables connected to the DVR. I switched to Comcast HD triple play to save money. The only thing I had to connect to the Comcast DVR was one coaxial cable. I went back to DTV and switched to HD because they offered me a free HD DVR. I didn't know and I was not told at the time that I would have all this stuff connected to the DVR. I found out about the DECA Broadband DECA and SWM when the installer pulled them out of the box. I knew that DTV would use my internet connection for OD but I thought it just be an ethernet cable run from the route to the DVR. I was absolutely discombobulated when the installer started pulling all this crap out to connect. I guess I just got spoiled by how simple it was to connect the Comcast DVR.

Also how is a SWim A plus? What is it instead of?

· Hall Of Fame
1,743 Posts
Red Orc said:
I was wondering if that feature had an actual name. I like the feature I just don't like the way it's implemented. If I watch say Conspiracy Theory and autopad records the first few minutes of the next show or movie the info banner should change to tell you you're watching the first few minutes of another show not continue to show Conspiracy Theory. There's been a few times when I liked what was recorded in those few minutes but I didn't know what it was because the info banner didn't change.
I disagree, the info banner shouldn't change. The extra two minutes is just added to the recording you are watching, so displaying the name of the recording is accurate.

· Always Searching
1,940 Posts
Red Orc said:
...The only thing I had to connect to the Comcast DVR was one coaxial cable...
This is how it will be going forward with D*. That single coaxial cable can provide up to 8 tuners, and network connectivity.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.