DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what a good signal is for the five-LNB satellite. I thought our signal was a little low. When I mentioned it to the installer, he said anything over 70 is good. I felt like he didn't want to adjust it to make it better.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
Anything over 70 is considered good, but with careful alignment readings into the 90's are possible. Of course, it depends on your brand/model DirecTV Receiver, because some models yield lower signal readings than other models.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
DirecTV states a steady 70 as good but at our HSP we strive for 80. But a steady lower signal is better then a fluctuating higher one.

·
Legend
121 Posts
I hardly ever see anything higher than the 70s on my H20, but my R15 shows consistent 90s on all the 101/110/119 transponders. I heard the BBC module hooked into the H20 can cause the readings to appear lower than they really are.

·
AllStar
51 Posts
luvdtv04 said:
I hardly ever see anything higher than the 70s on my H20, but my R15 shows consistent 90s on all the 101/110/119 transponders. I heard the BBC module hooked into the H20 can cause the readings to appear lower than they really are.
Agreed. I checked the signal level on our RCA DVR80 before my installer replaced our triple sat dish with the 5 LNB. The signal on the DVR80 was in the 90's.

After the 5 LNB install the signal strength on the DVR80 was still in the 90's, even though the sig strength on the H20 is solid at 80. The H20 must be reporting lower sig strength.

·
Legend
139 Posts
purtman said:
I was wondering what a good signal is for the five-LNB satellite. I thought our signal was a little low. When I mentioned it to the installer, he said anything over 70 is good. I felt like he didn't want to adjust it to make it better.
You have an H20-100. A 70 on an H20 is like having a 85 +/- 3% on any other receiver.

The proper question isn't why it's so low (the Ku band is internally attentuated to match the slope of both Ka bands), the real question is why D* hasn't gone to a 'normalized' signal meter on the H20 like it has with the HR20.

·
Legend
105 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Anything over 70 is considered good, but with careful alignment readings into the 90's are possible. Of course, it depends on your brand/model DirecTV Receiver, because some models yield lower signal readings than other models.
Litzdog...Are we getting the new updates for the HR20 in Washington State?

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
Right now the HR20 update is only available in a very small geographic area around Los Angeles. There have been two nationwide windows of a couple of hours where people could grab it if they wanted to (see threads about Santa Claus coming in the HR20 thread), but another such window is not expected.

Once DirecTV is confident the HR20 upgrade is stable and not going to cause problems, it will automatically be distributed to everyone. For now, all you can do is wait.

Carl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.