DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,680 Posts
Jim5506 said:
It's the false assumption that 1080i transmitted a 1080X1280 or 1080X1440 is not High definition.
Actually, the false assumption is that different de-facto standards cannot be established for different media. An example might be trying to hold newsprint print quality to that of magazines. It only seems fair not to call what DirecTV offers by the same name that broadcast television offers (as specifically defined by ATSC standards).

HD-Lite also takes into consideration that while the image is being compromised by horizontal pixel averaging, it is further being mushed by reduced bit-rates as compared with broadcast standards. Lossy compression damage goes up exponentially with repeated application.

I would note that we should all be thinking of HDTV in terms of 16:9 instead of your portrait view of 27:32; the "resolution" is discussed in terms of horizontal x vertical.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,680 Posts
dude2 said:
Yep, and if you have a plasma or lcd set that is not 1080p all you can watch is hdlite as anything anyhigher in quality it can not image. You need a set that is 1080i or 1080p for full hd.
Regardless of the brain damaged resolution of the transmission, the receiver converts it back to one of the ATSC broadcast standards. Most older plasmas and LCDs are displaying a triple (or quadruple) compromised image due to downscaling, recompression, upscaling and finally downscaling again.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,680 Posts
HDMe said:
The problem I have with the term "HD Lite" is twofold.
You must get a real kick out of the word "tivo".

HD Lite does indeed have several applications and you just have to figure out which one from the context. In any event, it is a derogatory reference to using lossy compression methods overzealously to save bandwidth.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,680 Posts
DP1 said:
Funny that nobody ever coined the term SD-Lite.
It is out there. We call it Comcast. On some of the "throw-in" channels like MTV and VH1, you'll find that some distribution organizations offer VHS resolution (320x240?).

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,680 Posts
HIPAR said:
I couldn't see a patchwork of macroblocks but the image was still not crystal clear.
Something that I noticed was that the local stores seem to choose the lowest resolution displays to hook the disc players up to (if they hook them up at all; HD DVD players are selling largely sight unseen).

My local BB has the Samsung unit hooked up to a 32" 720p LCD. It looks good, but not great. The Sony is connected to a Sony 40" BRAVIA LCD flat panel too, but at least it is a 1080p.

Hook these players up to a >=60" LCoS via HDMI and we'll start discussing picture quality.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.