DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
Throwing gas on the fire....

It seems to me to be what owners of really big screen TV sets and high priced home theatres call anything they don't like the look of. Myself I don't have $50,000+ to drop on a Home video center. :icon_peac

They'd really be unhappy with the NJN signal I can receive here.... Four channels of digital content and all 4:3 and not very hi-res. :grin:

I find that in general the HD channels off of dish to look fine with a 32"LCD that I am sitting 3 to 4 foot away from. I even use it for my computer monitor now with wireless Keyboard and Mouse and 16' of VGA cable. Do the Dish Channels look the same as the OTA, of course not and they never will. Dish (and DirecTV) are taking the MPEG2 from the stations and compressing it with MPEG4 technology. Anytime you take a compressed source and recompress it there will be a quality loss. Basic Video rule. That's why you try and capture video in a DV format AVI to filter and edit before converting it to DVD format for example.

Cable will have the same problems as they need to compress the signal too. FIOS holds out the promise of better picture quality but whether or not we will ever see it?

The only way the picture won't suffer is if it is passed through untouched. I suspect that is what the purists really want and if we lose half our channels so that the signal can passed unchanged they'll be happy. :sure:

They sound to me as if they don't care how much it costs and if we need a forest of dishes on our roof to get the best signal, well to them thats OK as I see it.

One persons humble opinion after reading HD lite threads on several forums.

Cheers

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.