DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
Means that there are certain HD channels that the 942 cannot view. HD locals fall into this category and so does some of the new HD channels like National Geographic and Universal HD.

·
Icon
860 Posts
Dish has been using MPEG2 since day one (which is also used on DVD's and broadcast HDTV). They've decided to switch all new HD programming starting last Feb. 1 to MPEG4 which is a newer and better compression scheme. Basically they're hoping they can fit more channels into the same amount of space.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
psnarula, the most important thing to remember, if you have or buy a 942, you will not be able to view your HD locals, if available, or any HD stations added by Dish this year and most likely any new HD stations down the road.

As for existing HD/SD stations, they may change at some point, but nothing has been annouced about that, most likely not anytime soon.

·
Icon
522 Posts
Where can I go to read about why DVDs, in MPG2, look fantastic compared to what comes out of my 522, into my SD TV?

I've been wondering if there is any way to convert the output of my 522 into DVD quality, or convert OTA HDTV into DVD quality?

Bob

·
Icon
860 Posts
robert koerner said:
Where can I go to read about why DVDs, in MPG2, look fantastic compared to what comes out of my 522, into my SD TV?

I've been wondering if there is any way to convert the output of my 522 into DVD quality, or convert OTA HDTV into DVD quality?

Bob
DVDs will nearly always look better than SD satellite for 2 reasons:

1. The DVD will have a higher data bitrate.
2. The DVD can be compressed to a high quality frame by frame. The realtime encoders are not going to do as good a job as an encoder that has as much time as it needs to do a quality compression.

To convert your satellite programming to DVD, you'll need to export it to your PC using the analog outputs of your receiver (S-Video or Composite). You'll either need a capture video card or an outboard capture box like I have (I have the ADSTech Instant DVD+MP3).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.