DBSTalk Forum banner

What is next for DirecTV HD Subscribers

1616 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  TDLA
I have read here that over 150 HD channels will be available by the end of 2007, but I am curious to see what will be the next set of offerings.

Does anyone know what are the next set of HD channels that will be launched to DirecTV HD Subscribers?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Not entirely true.

By the end of 2007 DirecTV will have the "capacity" for 150 HD channels.

However, by the end of 2007... there probably won't even be 150 HD channels in existance... that is including all exclusive HD channels from other carriers (such as VOOM).

The Next two SATs are set to launch in April and June of 2007.
When those go up, "speculation is", we will see a significant increase in HD channels.

National Geographic has already announced that DirecTV will be carring them.
I think TLC as well...

But the "key" is those next two sat launches.
See less See more
TDLA said:
I have read here that over 150 HD channels will be available by the end of 2007, but I am curious to see what will be the next set of offerings.

Does anyone know what are the next set of HD channels that will be launched to DirecTV HD Subscribers?
This is just my guesstimate. With the Liberty Media deal happening recently starz hd will most likely be headed to Direct. I would also assume food tv hd and nat'l geographic will are on deck along with HGTV HD.
WHere will the next two satellites be located? Are they replacing existing ones? Will I need to change any hardware for them?
99 and 103

I don't know if they are "replacing" the spaceway sats that are already thre, or are going to run in parallel to them (Aka two sats in the same slot, like they do with 101)

You will need the 5LNB dish, and an MPEG-4 compatible receiver.
Earl Bonovich said:
99 and 103

I don't know if they are "replacing" the spaceway sats that are already thre, or are going to run in parallel to them (Aka two sats in the same slot, like they do with 101)

You will need the 5LNB dish, and an MPEG-4 compatible receiver.
Ok, a newbie question here, but how are these launched? I presume from NASA, but am not certain of that.

I was very much considering E* before becoming a D* subscriber becuase of their (E*) extensive HD programming package, but did decide on D* because of their free locals (even though I do get most OTA) but had heard that D* was going to eventually have more? than E* in the near future. Realistically, when can we expect to literally see these HD channels on our sets?

Earl... I have read a lot on this forum (mostly by you) before subscribing to D*, and I'm very appreciative of all you have done for the D* customer, albeit a future or current one...Thanks for all you have done and still do!
No problem.

Actually, NASA has "little" if anything to do with the launch.

They are launched by private "sat launching" companies.

I think the one in April is scheduled for the same French company that lauched the one a few months ago.
And in June, that one is scheduled for Sea-Launch

There is a terrific program available on Discovery Channel sometimes about Sea-Launch, highly recommend it.

"Realistically", probably mid 2007 at the earliest.
markrubi said:
This is just my guesstimate. With the Liberty Media deal happening recently starz hd will most likely be headed to Direct. I would also assume food tv hd and nat'l geographic will are on deck along with HGTV HD.
I would like to see HGTV HD next if I had my choice. Well then my wife would have a counter point to me flipping to an awesome show about migrating birds.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top