DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Icon
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, definitely don't have it. My PC at home has an AMD processor. But why would I care if my COMPUTER has ViiV for an HR20 which controls my TV? Does this offer some way of controlling your HR20 from a ViiV enabled PC?

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
This article may be more applicable to you:

http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-6119790.html

Though intriguing, I find this little morsel a little bothersome:

"When it launches, DirecTV's set-top box will only allow users to access photos or music stored on their PCs, not movies or television, said Merlin Kister, director of marketing for Intel's Digital Home Division. DirecTV chooses the features it wants to deliver to its customers, Kister said. Allowing DirecTV Plus HD DVR users to watch Internet-purchased movies on their televisions could cut into DirecTV's video-on-demand and pay-per-view revenue."

·
Legend
152 Posts
VIIV is all about a hardware DRM solution. Just like the Handshake in HDMI, it helps ensure that only approved hardware will connect and work.

Personally, I dislike text level GUI's. If I am going to browse my music and pictures, I want to see Cover Art and thumbnails, not filenames. Browsing a large music collection will be a large pain.

I think this will be a gee whiz function for some users, that will not get constant use.

Maybe the HR20 can be upgraded to a Home Media Center. But I think if D* is serious about that functionality, it will have to be a new box.

·
Icon
563 Posts
opelap said:
VIIV is all about a hardware DRM solution. Just like the Handshake in HDMI, it helps ensure that only approved hardware will connect and work.

Personally, I dislike text level GUI's. If I am going to browse my music and pictures, I want to see Cover Art and thumbnails, not filenames. Browsing a large music collection will be a large pain.

I think this will be a gee whiz function for some users, that will not get constant use.

Maybe the HR20 can be upgraded to a Home Media Center. But I think if D* is serious about that functionality, it will have to be a new box.
Actually VIIV has no DRM . VIIV is about certifying a bunch of media devices, routers,wireless access points and PCs to work together. The COntent Protection is included in VIIV to allow protected media purchaserd on the PC to stream securely to the VIIV devices so that if you have Music from Yahoo or Napster you can play it on a VIIV device. VIIV converts the DRM already present to a more standard protetcion but doesn't encrypt anything that was not previously secure.
Asd for the GUI lets hope it improves over time otherwise I agree it wont get constant use.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Meklos said:
Then why does VIIV only work on chipsets which include TPM 1.2 or later hardware DRM devices?

By the way, it looks like the TPM devices are also included in the Intel-based Macs.
It is probably not a case of that it "won't work"... just that the Intel ViiV software pieces, check for that particular hardware.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,919 Posts
I guess I'm missing something. My Media Center PC, like many of them, has optical audio out to my Onkyo amp and a connection to my HDTV with component cables. I can listen to mp3s (and other format files) and watch any videos from that PC or any on my network without and help (hindrance) from the HR20 or any other D* box. And it's certainly not VIIV since it has an AMD processor. I would suggest that if you go to the trouble to get a Media Center PC, you probably won't need the D*/HR20 hook-up.

GH

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
It is probably not a case of that it "won't work"... just that the Intel ViiV software pieces, check for that particular hardware.
Agreed. However, it leaves open the door for future compatibility. If they threw the TPM chip on the Intel Macs, there's a tiny little glimmer of hope for them.

I forget, was the deal between D* and MS, or D* and Intel?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.