DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Icon
563 Posts
opelap said:
VIIV is all about a hardware DRM solution. Just like the Handshake in HDMI, it helps ensure that only approved hardware will connect and work.

Personally, I dislike text level GUI's. If I am going to browse my music and pictures, I want to see Cover Art and thumbnails, not filenames. Browsing a large music collection will be a large pain.

I think this will be a gee whiz function for some users, that will not get constant use.

Maybe the HR20 can be upgraded to a Home Media Center. But I think if D* is serious about that functionality, it will have to be a new box.
Actually VIIV has no DRM . VIIV is about certifying a bunch of media devices, routers,wireless access points and PCs to work together. The COntent Protection is included in VIIV to allow protected media purchaserd on the PC to stream securely to the VIIV devices so that if you have Music from Yahoo or Napster you can play it on a VIIV device. VIIV converts the DRM already present to a more standard protetcion but doesn't encrypt anything that was not previously secure.
Asd for the GUI lets hope it improves over time otherwise I agree it wont get constant use.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.