DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mentor
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can some please explain to me why the new hr20 has an USB, SATA, Ethernet, and all the other extras on it? Also i noticed that it came with a RF remote but there was not RF ant. spot on the back. THanks

·
Legend
129 Posts
redpeppers said:
can some please explain to me why the new hr20 has an USB, SATA, Ethernet, and all the other extras on it? Also i noticed that it came with a RF remote but there was not RF ant. spot on the back. THanks
Not sure there is a use for the USB yet, the ethernet can be connected to your network to get photos and music off of your computer hard drive. Search for more info on that feature. The SATA is for adding an external drive to get additional HD space. Also search for more info. The RF antenna is internal. The HR20 comes with an IR remote but you can purchase an RF remote from DirecTV. Also you have to turn on RF on the reciever but you can't have both RF and IR at the same time.

·
Legend
206 Posts
redpeppers said:
redpeppers:

Welcome. You have a lot of reading to do. Search the forum for each type of connector and you will learn.

They all work, they all have purposes.

USB - right now powers accessories and not much else
SATA - more drives - actually alt. drive
Ethernet - read the VIIV threads
RF - antenna built in...

Read man, read. You have 3 months of posts to read. Hop to it.

·
Mentor
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bigpuma said:
Not sure there is a use for the USB yet, the ethernet can be connected to your network to get photos and music off of your computer hard drive. Search for more info on that feature. The SATA is for adding an external drive to get additional HD space. Also search for more info. The RF antenna is internal. The HR20 comes with an IR remote but you can purchase an RF remote from DirecTV. Also you have to turn on RF on the reciever but you can't have both RF and IR at the same time.
wait....i just installed some new hr20's today and they both had RF remotes with them. They both had FCC id numbers on the back of them.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
bigpuma said:
The remote that came with my HR-20 was able to do RF out of the box. I did not need to purchase an RF remote.

I use my USB port to power a chill mat (by a company called Targus) since my HR-20 is in a cabinet. I've heard rumors that the USB will eventually be used for the DirecTV2Go features. More to come on that I'm sure...

·
Mentor
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Radio Enginerd said:
The remote that came with my HR-20 was able to do RF out of the box. I did not need to purchase an RF remote.

I use my USB port to power a chill mat (by a company called Targus) since my HR-20 is in a cabinet. I've heard rumors that the USB will eventually be used for the DirecTV2Go features. More to come on that I'm sure...
Another problem i seen with the HR20 i installed today would not let me do an off air scan today. I waited about 10 minutes after the software update and then it let me. Is this a bug in the software or what?

·
Legend
129 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
Interesting, mine was an IR remote back in October. I guess they changed this.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
8 Posts
bigpuma said:
Got mine in mid Nov, came with RC24 remote, RF capable out of the box.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
redpeppers said:
First: Welcome!

As to eSATA and RF, you can find more in the Tips & Tricks.

- Craig

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
bigpuma said:
It has always come with an IR/RF capable remote.

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
bigpuma said:
The SATA is for adding an external drive to get additional HD space.
That is not totally correct. It is not additional to what is already inside, it is instead of what is already inside.

·
Legend
129 Posts
PoitNarf said:
It has always come with an IR/RF capable remote.
hmm I guess I was not paying attention. Now I will have to try this out to prove how dumb I am for not noticing. :D

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but the RF-remote antenna is internal in the HR20.

If the remote has the FCC sticker on the back, you're ready to rocknroll with RF!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,335 Posts
Like all of us, start waiting for reports back from CES in Las Vegas, next month. Hopefully, complete features associated with some of this hardware capability will be turned on in the coming year.

·
Godfather
450 Posts
I've read that the RF remote that comes with the HR20 can be used as an RF remote or an IR remote, but not both at the same time. Does this apply to controlling external devices as well? I would like to use RF for controlling the DVR, but use IR to control the TV/Display. Is this possible?

·
Mentor
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jedi-phish said:
I've read that the RF remote that comes with the HR20 can be used as an RF remote or an IR remote, but not both at the same time. Does this apply to controlling external devices as well? I would like to use RF for controlling the DVR, but use IR to control the TV/Display. Is this possible?
i use mine like that all the time so yes it is possiable

·
Icon
895 Posts
jedi-phish said:
It's not the remote that can't do IR and RF at the same time, it's the receiver it self.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.