DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that adding an AM21 to an HR21 slows down the already sluggish interface. Does it slow down everything or is it just slow when switching to local OTA stations?

Overall, are you satisfied with the AM21 or are there just too many problems?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
bnewsom said:
I have read that adding an AM21 to an HR21 slows down the already sluggish interface. Does it slow down everything or is it just slow when switching to local OTA stations?

I have an AM21/HR21-200 combination. The AM21 has not affected my HR21 at all - no slowing down and no other issues at all. It just does what it is supposed to do.

·
Super Moderator
14,044 Posts
It works very well for me. I get PBS-HD with my antenna.

There have been some slow trick issues.

The reception on my AM21 is much better then the OTA on my HR20-700.

Mike

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
No problems, mine works like a charm - sometimes it seems like it takes a bit longer to tune an OTA channel, but there could be many factors involved in that equation, including signal strength.

The only trickplay issues I've seen are related to playback of OTA recordings with signal issues, then I might have a second or two delay before the 1st trickplay command executes, but this is rare. I mainly use my AM21 for my PBS station and I have my antenna locked on that signal, so no issues.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
I had one issue when Fox dropped it's HD signal. It also dropped it on the Directv side, but the SD worked on the Directv feed.

Other than that, it has been flawless.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
No issues at all. Seems a little snappier and I get better signal strengths than with HR20-700.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
I've had a AM21 on a HR21-200 and HR21-100. I think any slowdown on the HR21's is due more to the software I'm using (I do all the CE's) vs having the AM21 attached to the box. Example, this last CE that I did Friday night greatly improved the speed of the UI. But I will say that the trick play functions when using it on any channel recorded via the AM21 is slow to respond to requests, at least with this software level, other releases seem to be a bit better.

·
AllStar
67 Posts
HR21-200/AM21 Combo. I still have severe trickplay delays when playing back recorded OTA Material. All OTA Channels are at or near 100% so I do not think it is a signal issue. I am currently on NR 235. The problem seems to be more noticable when trying to use 30 second skip. FF Seems to work a little better. Does not seem to slow down functions on satellite reception. All trickplay works normal with Sat!

·
Hall Of Fame
2,483 Posts
trick play functions when using it on any channel recorded via the AM21 is slow to respond to requests other then that iam very happy with it.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Works great with my HR21-100. Slow to acquire channels sometimes but I need to put my antenna outside to eliminate multipath and hope it will improve... not high on the priority list since it's not that bad. :grin:

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
I have the HR21-700 and the AM21. Granted I installed it last night, but for day one it worked as well as the HR20-700. The one exception would be the HR21 slow to respond to 'trick play' after swapping tuners. But that doesn't have enything to do with teh AM21.

The AM21 certainly seems to better capable of tuning in the OTA signals. Strength is higher on the signal meter and I didn't have a signle significant video problem last night like I did with the old HR20.

So far I'm pretty stoked about the AM21. I'd rather not need it at all and I don't really like the idea of more hardware, but functionality righ now seems to be seemless compared with the HR20 integrated ATSC tuning capability.

·
Legend
205 Posts
I'm making sure I can receive the best signal possible from my Antenna before I purchase an AM21, but if you guys are saying that it's very good at tuning in channels, I may just pull the trigger.

Is there an issue with receiving channels from two markets? My primary market is Savannah Georgia, but I'm able to receive great signals coming from Augusta.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
groove93 said:
I'm making sure I can receive the best signal possible from my Antenna before I purchase an AM21, but if you guys are saying that it's very good at tuning in channels, I may just pull the trigger.

Is there an issue with receiving channels from two markets? My primary market is Savannah Georgia, but I'm able to receive great signals coming from Augusta.
No problem at all... It lets you put in two zip codes. I'm currently pulling in stations from DC and Baltimore just fine.

·
Legend
205 Posts
tcusta00 said:
No problem at all... It lets you put in two zip codes. I'm currently pulling in stations from DC and Baltimore just fine.
OK, cool that you can add two zip codes.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

·
AllStar
82 Posts
slows down my HR-21 when playing back shows recorded with it. One tuner always seems to have a 0% signal. PBS-HD is hit or miss in recording an audio track, 50% of the time, no sound. It does recieve a more stable and better strength signal than my HR-20. Maybe I have a defective one, but haven't had time to sit on the phone and go through the troubleshooting script with a tech. I have unplugged it from the HR-21 and then rebooting the HR-21 (basically performing a re-detect as others here suggested) without much affect. National release 0x0235 might have made the situation slightly better.

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Slows down my HR21 alot especially when recording from off air. Real bad delays! Also, having major audio problems with volume loud then soft. Any ideas? Overall, very unpleased with AM21 tuner.

·
Legend
199 Posts
bnewsom said:

I am pretty satisfied, it better than have no HD locals at all.

One problem I have is that the signals are not as strong from my indoor antenna connected to the AM21 as they were when I had the antenna hooked direct to the TV.
The other problem is the recorded shows from the antenna are sluggish when rewinding of fast forward.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.