DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VHS has 240 lines of horizontal resolution, Dish Network has 360(although OVERcompression can make the picture far worse than VHS at times), Laserdisc has 425, DVD has 540, but what does Analog C-band Dish have?

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
DISH has 480 lines of true resolution horizontal. DVD is at 720. LaseDisc I don't remember but it's a little over 500. VHS is in the 300's. What you're looking at isn't horizontal resolution, but horizontal resolution/aspect ratio. While this is a commonly accepted measurement it's misleading and I really don't think it should be used (and many companes are starting to stop using it and admitting the truth, like that their DVD players are at 720 lines horizontal)

I don't remember where C-Band falls, but it's somewhat above broadcast TV.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Mark
DISH has 480 lines of true resolution horizontal. DVD is at 720. LaseDisc I don't remember but it's a little over 500. VHS is in the 300's. What you're looking at isn't horizontal resolution, but horizontal resolution/aspect ratio. While this is a commonly accepted measurement it's misleading and I really don't think it should be used (and many companes are starting to stop using it and admitting the truth, like that their DVD players are at 720 lines horizontal)

I don't remember where C-Band falls, but it's somewhat above broadcast TV.
Only some tv manufactureres use that method of counting horizontal resolution which is considered cheating by some people, and good high end tv manufacturers like Proton never use that definition.
If you look at the box of any dvd player, laserdisc player, SVHS vcr, DVHS vcr, Hi8 camcorder, Minidv camcorder, Digital8 camcorder etc they will use the regular definition of horizontal resolution.
This is the correct definition of horizontal resolution for a 4x3 television by Proton electronics.

"A horizontal resolution spec is determined by counting the number of alternating vertical white and black lines that can be received across three-fourths of the picture width. Why 3/4? Because the aspect ratio (ratio of width to height) of NTSC television is 4:3, three fourths of the picture width equals the picture height. When this is factored in, horizontal- and vertical-resolution figures can be compared directly. For example, if a picture's resolution measures 330 lines both vertically and horizontally, resolution is the same in both directions. This is the case with NTSC television. A broadcast TV source (antenna or cable) is Limited by law to maximum vertical and horizontal resolution of approximately 330 lines. The approximate maximum horizontal performance of all other consumer video media is all less than or equal to 425 lines (see chart). So although many Proton monitors are capable of 600-line horizontal resolution performance, because of the limited performance of the media, we have chosen not to play up this spec, one that consumer cannot take advantage of. Instead we have designed Proton monitors to present whatever resolution performance is in the program as cleanly and vividly as possible."

BTW, here are the numbers going by your definition.

VHS 320

Broadcast 440

Dish Network 480

Laserdisc 567

DVD 720

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Wondering
VHS has 240 lines of horizontal resolution, Dish Network has 360(although OVERcompression can make the picture far worse than VHS at times), Laserdisc has 425, DVD has 540, but what does Analog C-band Dish have?
Analog C-Band Dishes have 528 lines of horizontal resolution(FULL BROADCAST QUALITY) by Wondering's definition, and 704 lines of horizontal resolution by Mark's definition.
C-band also has the added advantages of not having to worry about overcompression like DVDs could have, and Analog C-Band is in the RGB domain which is VASTLY superior to the component domain(which DVD is in).
Hook up a C-Band dish to an awesome Studio Quality RGB monitor and your eyes will fall in love with BUDs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.