DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody knows which stations will make the move to HD next year? We have DirecTV and I know the company has talked about going to more than 40 national stations next year. I was wondering who the next stations will be.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,039 Posts
Good question.. I think we'd all like to know the answer to this one.

·
Icon
869 Posts
I'm hoping for F/X

·
AllStar
54 Posts
DIRECTV to Offer 100 National HD Channels in 2007

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 8, 2007--DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider, is hailing 2007 as the "Year of HD" with the planned launch and carriage of 100 national high-definition (HD) channels. With this substantial HD muscle, DIRECTV will offer three-times more HD programming than any other multi-channel distributor, with the majority of these channels launching in Q3.

DIRECTV also announced today that it currently has signed agreements, or agreements in principle, with more than 70 major networks including:

-- A&E
-- National Geographic
-- Bravo
-- NFL Network
-- Cartoon Network
-- SciFi Channel
-- CNN
-- Speed
-- Food Network
-- TBS
-- FX
-- The History Channel
-- HGTV
-- The Weather Channel
-- MTV
-- USA Network

read the rest of the article...

http://tinyurl.com/22ydac

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,479 Posts
chef8181 said:
-- A&E
-- National Geographic
-- Bravo
-- NFL Network
-- Cartoon Network
-- SciFi Channel
-- CNN
-- Speed
-- Food Network
-- TBS
-- FX
-- The History Channel
-- HGTV
-- The Weather Channel
-- MTV
-- USA Network
Out of this short list, less than half of them (six) are currently offering HD programming. DirecTV can only carry what exists and while that will certainly change between now and when they have the capacity to add new channels, claiming 70+ channels now seems overly optimistic.

BTW, Bravo already tried once as an HD channel and was retooled into Universal HD.

Sure, everyone is saying that this is the "Year of HD", but how many new channels have popped up in the last few months?

·
Godfather
265 Posts
Here the year of HDTV, we are 2mos. into the year and NADA for HD changes/additions. I understand some of the bandwidth issues but other things they are doing that are beginning to take up bandwidth ex.. Channel 114 interactive customer support? Was that really needed right now? Maybe when the band. is available then offer it, but for now make good on promises first remember "Year of HD"

Or for that matter fix my Caller ID on my HR20 that has not worked since I got it,and advertised as a auesome new feature and they can't get it right.:mad:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,476 Posts
Should be careful what you wish for... Food Network HD, while absolutely beautiful, has just a tiny fraction of the content that regular the Food Network channel does. It never runs new episodes of the shows or new challenges at the same time as the regular network, instead running episodes from months or years ago. Overall, it's just not impressive from a programming standpoint. Why isn't every newly filmed show simultaneously broadcast?

Hence, don't be too eager to leap to the "high definition" version of a channel. It takes programming providers years to get things setup properly with enough content.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
I have started a thread of currently available "national" HD channels HERE and will be keeping it up to date based on member contributions and verified industry reports. With a very few exceptions, the HD channel listed are theoretically available to all providers, whether DBS or cable.

I would appreciate being advised of any new HD channels or omissions to the list.

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.