DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what anyone paying attention could have predicted, from TV Week:
North American television shipments in the second quarter jumped 28% from a year earlier, marking the largest leap in at least four years and defying the U.S. economic downturn, NPD Group unit DisplaySearch said today....

TV manufacturers shipped 9.3 million sets during the quarter as shipments of liquid-crystal display televisions, which accounted for 80% of all TVs sent, surged 52%, according to the report. The jump, the largest year-over-year increase since DisplaySearch started tracking shipments in 2004, was also fed by a 34% rise in plasma-TV shipments.

...U.S. consumers are buying more TVs amid the economic downturn as they prepare for the switchover to all-digital broadcasts from analog next February.
And virtually all those TV sets will be HD capable. By 2011, the vast majority of American homes may not be able to afford heat, but they'll have HD. Because I'm a Dish customer and my wife won't let me cut down any trees to see DirecTV satellites, I hope there's going to be alot of TurboHD customers. But both satellite companies are well ahead of cable in providing decent HD when you take the nation as a whole.;)

· Hall Of Fame
2,027 Posts
And you don't have to "fill up" a new tv. :lol:

You are probably more on target than you realize. I remember an economics prof talking about inversion behavior among consumers during times of instability.

I think all the digital conversion advertisements are getting folks off their duffs too.

dbconsultant said:
Nobody can afford the gas so, instead of going somewhere on vacation, they're buying HD tv's and watching the Travel Channel in HD! :lol:

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Icon
749 Posts
Was that based upon data from before the economic calamity?

The economy was actually doing reasonably well before the excesses of the last 15 years caused its collapse. Like anything else built upon a weak foundation, everything looks just fine before a monumental collapse.

Let's wait for the 'Black Friday' sales results.

--- CHAS

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
Heck, with the volatility of the stock market each day, a big screen TV seems like a better investment than buying stock. At least you know you'll still have the TV tomorrow. Black Friday should be 'happening' day for flat screen TV sales.. due to the regular sales frenzy and the digital switch coming in a few months.

· Hall Of Fame
1,115 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,115 Posts
Jim5506 said:
All you need to do to end the recession is to refuse to participate.

It's all 90% mental, the other half is fiscal.
Really, that's very nice advice.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION: OCTOBER 2008

Nonfarm payroll employment fell by 240,000 in October, and the unemployment rate
rose from 6.1 to 6.5 percent, the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department
of Labor reported today. October's drop in payroll employment followed declines of
127,000 in August and 284,000 in September, as revised. Employment has fallen by
1.2 million in the first 10 months of 2008; over half of the decrease has occurred
in the past 3 months. In October, job losses continued in manufacturing, construc-
tion, and several service-providing industries. Health care and mining continued
to add jobs.

Unemployment (Household Survey Data)

The unemployment rate rose by 0.4 percentage point to 6.5 percent in October,
and the number of unemployed persons increased by 603,000 to 10.1 million. Over
the past 12 months, the number of unemployed persons has increased by 2.8 mil-
lion, and the unemployment rate has risen by 1.7 percentage points. (See
table A-1.)
I suppose if the 10.1 million people without jobs shelled out good money on GPS devices, Bluray players and 46 inch LCD displays, all these recession ills would be cured.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Let's keep this to the news about TVs, as opposed to politics in general, please :)

· Hall Of Fame
1,115 Posts
davring said:
The lost jobs were retail positions selling Chinese goods...
Except that a number of those TVs were THE Chinese goods!! :grin:

Big Cyber Monday Items Are Electronics, Uggs, Arts & Crafts

Electronic products, Uggs and arts and crafts appear to be early winners.

HD televisions, Blu-ray products, digital cameras and navigation systems are the hottest devices, part of the consumer-electronics group seeing the most demand on Monday.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.