DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Icon
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having reception issues and would like to know what satellite FXHD is one so I can be sure of the signal strength numbers.

I just bet is 103(c)... since all my number are below 30!! :(

Had a wind storm...

Thanks!

· Icon
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

Dang!! :( I need my dish aligned yet once AGAIN! Man!.. certain 'people' must make a lot of money on this.. this is at least the 3rd or maybe 4th time I've had to have someone come out... for like $80 a pop.

Is there a D* plan that covers alignments?

Does everyone have to do this 1 or 2 times per year? Can't they set it up so it doesn't shift every major thunderstorm?

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
Slyster said:
Does everyone have to do this 1 or 2 times per year? Can't they set it up so it doesn't shift every major thunderstorm?
To answer your questions:
No. Yes.

This should not be happening to you with a proper installation.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09
2,390 Posts
Slyster said:
Thank you.

Dang!! :( I need my dish aligned yet once AGAIN! Man!.. certain 'people' must make a lot of money on this.. this is at least the 3rd or maybe 4th time I've had to have someone come out... for like $80 a pop.

Is there a D* plan that covers alignments?

Just out of curiosity - do you have an AT/9 (with sidecar) or one of the newer ones - AU/9 'slimline'.

I have an AT/9 and yes I have had to go out an raise the elevation about twice a year. It just seems to slip - doesn't matter how hard I crank on the locking nuts - it still slips. Luckily the mount is still plumb and it hasn't rotated - I have a theory its a combination of the paint finish and the just the sheer weight of the sidecar assembly, and possibly temp changes causing it to contract and expand. But who knows? Maybe the local cable co is sneaking up and releasing it :p.

· Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
The protection plan does cover alignment issues. No you shouldn't need to realign the dish any where near that often. Make sure everything is tightened down and they have the 2 monopoles installed to keep it in place.

· Mentor
46 Posts
You might want to learn to re-align it yourself. One signal meter is worth the cost of one re-alignment. Not to mention the time you lose waiting for a tech.

Otherwise monopoles are your friend for stabilization.

Solid signal has videos with step by step instructions. Easy money.

Then again I live in So Cal, where there is never any real 'weather phenomena.'

· Registered
5,530 Posts
I have had an AT-9 installed on my roof for three years now with no sign of an alignment issue, even with the massive storms we get here in Texas. It is correctly mounted with the bolts into a roof joist, and with the two monopoles. 103(c) signals are in the mid-90s.

· Icon
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry about the double post.. I hate when people do that too... :( what happened was that I didn't remember the first one... because the issue went away and I never check back... my bad!

Now after another storm, there are too many channels are unusable.

Does a signal meter hook right the the actual dish on the roof? Our dish is so high up.. I am not very comfortable doing this... but could.

It is the larger dish. Mounted at the peak of the upper roof... unsure about if a joist was used. BTW.... what is a monopole?

I will look into doing it myself... true about the cost of a signal meter.. Signal meter available at Radio Shack or other local type store? Or online only at specialty websites?

Thanks. Again sorry about the double post.. I'll read that thread now too!

I will go out tomorrow to have a closer look and get back to this thread.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
Slyster said:
.....I will look into doing it myself... true about the cost of a signal meter.. Signal meter available at Radio Shack or other local type store? Or online only at specialty websites?.....
You already have a "signal meter." It's in your receiver:

Menu button > Parental, Fav's & Setup > System Setup > Satellite > View Signal Strength > Signal Meters

Use the navigation buttons on the remote to go to 103(c) or (b), as applicable to your receiver. Then adjust your AZ and EL fine adjustment bolts, after loosening their respective lock down bolts.

· Icon
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But my dish and recieiver and 3 floors and 2 roofs away! Perhaps I could get my wife with FRS radios eh? Thanks.. I might try to tweak. Have been out of town for 4 days.. so I'll count my monopoles etc and ask about that again later.

· Icon
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have decided to go up on the roof tomorrow with wifey on the other end of our 2 way FRS radios and bump the dish around.. mostly up... against gravity... wish me well! Could lose ALL signal trying this!

· Hall Of Fame
1,161 Posts
Slyster said:
I have decided to go up on the roof tomorrow with wifey on the other end of our 2 way FRS radios and bump the dish around.. mostly up... against gravity... wish me well! Could lose ALL signal trying this!
If you can put on pole on ground, call DTV about installing it. It cost me slightly more than $52. Re-locate dish from roof, cement post in ground( they provided post, concrete) run underground cable and re-align and make sure was working when he left. Couldn't do it myself for that price!:D

· Hall Of Fame
1,020 Posts
Slyster said:
If possible make some photos of the dish so we can see how it is installed up close and can Identify what installation problems may exist so you can have them corrected.

· Hall Of Fame
1,212 Posts
bwaldron said:
To answer your questions:
No. Yes.

This should not be happening to you with a proper installation.
i agree...this winter we had tons of high winds and my dish didnt budge. if youre on a solid roof and the bolts are tight and locked down, it shouldnt move even in wind.

· Icon
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey.. just to end this thread... I finally got the nerve to climb way up to the dish... one pole ring (of those two poles supporting the main support) was loose... when I pushed the whole pole up.. the ring slid an inch.. I tightened it.. and my 103(c) signals went from teens to 50's.... not super good but plenty for solid reception! Tx!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.