DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· AllStar
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm waiting for my first bill after getting the HR20. I have one other receiver in the house, a DirecTivo. Before the HR20, I paid:

$44.99 - Total Choice programming
$5.99 - DVR fee
$4.99 - Additional Receiver

Any thoughts on what I'll be paying after?

Thanks

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
You will see a line added:

$4.99 - Leased Receiver

............ bottom line, your bill will increase by $4.99
(and additional tax if you your state requires it to be paid)

· AllStar
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What??? I don't get it. I pay $299 for the DVR and I still have to pay a lease for it? That's like putting a $30k downpayment on a $30k car and still paying $500/month for it! This is a joke!

What happens if I would ever decide to replace my DirecTivo with an HR20, would I have to pay another $4.99 lease on that one too?

· DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
You will see a line added:

$4.99 - Leased Receiver

............ bottom line, your bill will increase by $4.99
(and additional tax if you your state requires it to be paid)
Is that right? Is it different for the HR20 than the R15?

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
At this point, I'm thinking most of us here should see credits for code debug...:grin:

(Oh, did I say that out loud?)

Ok, I'll try to be more balanced: What Earl said. My leased unit is showing as "Leased" and the ones I own are showing as "Additional". If its your only unit, you might not see anything.

Cheers,
Tom

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
burnside said:
What??? I don't get it. I pay $299 for the DVR and I still have to pay a lease for it? That's like putting a $30k downpayment on a $30k car and still paying $500/month for it! This is a joke!

What happens if I would ever decide to replace my DirecTivo with an HR20, would I have to pay another $4.99 lease on that one too?
You would replace the additional receiver line with a lease unit line, assuming you truly replaced the D*Tivo by deactivating it. (And restart your 2 year commitment.)

Tom

· AllStar
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tibber said:
You would replace the additional receiver line with a lease unit line, assuming you truly replaced the D*Tivo by deactivating it. (And restart your 2 year commitment.)

Tom
So in that case, would this be my bill:

$5.99 - DVR fee
$4.99 - HR20 #1 Lease
$4.99 - HR20 #2 Lease

· Legend
156 Posts
burnside said:
It's the same monthly price as an additional owned receiver. What's the problem?

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
I think you're just overthinking this stuff. If the HR20 is the ONLY receiver on the account, you won't see any additional fees beyond the DVR fee. If it isn't, you'll see a line there for "Leased Receiver" for $4.99. In my case I have 5 receivers, one of which is the HR20. So I have three lines on the bill for "$4.99 Additional Receiver" and one line for "$4.99 Leased Receiver". Since I already had two DVRs (DirecTivos) and since I deactivated one other SD receiver, I don't have any new charges compared to my previous bill.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Every receiver you have on your account... regardless if it is "owned" or "leased". Has a $4.99 "usage" fee. It used to be known as the "mirroring" fee.

It is "waived" for the first unit on the account, and applied to all the others.

This is the fee to MIRROR your programming from your base receiver to your other receivers on your account

I have 10 active receivers on my account right now.
I pay 9 Mirroring fees (each are $4.99 3 of them are listed as lease, the others as Additional Receiver)

From the way you listed yoru bill... You had TWO receivers before hand, and now you have three... (note you didn't say if you got rid of any of them).

Aslo... you can't think of the DirecTV's lease program as the same as your Car Lease program. They are not the same, even though they use the same words.

· AllStar
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Starrbuck and LameLefty, I think I was going overboard there, but only because I didn't know they would knock out my additional receiver fee. So then since I have one HR20 and one DirecTivo, I should see this:

$5.99 - DVR fee
$4.99 - HR20 #1 Lease

Am I correct?

· AllStar
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Earl, the Mirror explanation answers a bunch. I guess I never read about all this new lingo, I just understood additional receiver and that's it.

By the way, you have a ton of receivers!

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
burnside said:
Thanks Starrbuck and LameLefty, I think I was going overboard there, but only because I didn't know they would knock out my additional receiver fee. So then since I have one HR20 and one DirecTivo, I should see this:

$5.99 - DVR fee
$4.99 - HR20 #1 Lease

Am I correct?
You got it.

Cheers,
Tom

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
burnside said:
Thanks Earl, the Mirror explanation answers a bunch. I guess I never read about all this new lingo, I just understood additional receiver and that's it.

By the way, you have a ton of receivers!
Tell me about it...

I should be down to 6 by the end of the night tonight.

I am shutting down my HR10-250, which is my primary reciever.
Which is a pain, as they basically have to shut all of them off and make a new one the primary.

I am also turning off my H20, one of my R15's, and my DSR704.
I haven't used the H20 since I got the first HR20
My 2nd R15 sits in a back bedroom... and it just isn't used at all
the DSR704, is DVR #3 in the main room.... and two HR20's do all the work necessary in there now,so it is getting shutdown.

· Legend
156 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I am shutting down my HR10-250, which is my primary reciever. Which is a pain, as they basically have to shut all of them off and make a new one the primary.
I know, what a pain. Right now, the oldest receiver on my account is the primary. I'm afraid to have them switch it.

· AllStar
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JimMc said:
Don't forget the $9.99 for HD service. Unless you were one of the lucky ones who was able to get "free" HD for several months.
Yeah, I got lucky and got it for free until the spring. I'll probably opt out then unless they add more channels.

· Banned
1,614 Posts
I pay $299 for the DVR and I still have to pay a lease for it? That's like putting a $30K down payment on a $30K car and still paying $500/month for it.
This comparison is a joke.

I read someplace that if you really pressed the issue with DIRECTV the cost to buy the HR20 instead of lease it is somewhere in the neighborhood of $800-$1000. A very similar product is theTiVo Series3 HDTV CableTV compatible DVR. It's selling for $800 last time I checked. So you are getting a significant discount to buy the HR20 for $299.

· Banned
614 Posts
burnside said:
Hi,

I'm waiting for my first bill after getting the HR20. I have one other receiver in the house, a DirecTivo. Before the HR20, I paid:

$5.99 - DVR fee

Any thoughts on what I'll be paying after?

Thanks
It depends if it's the primary or secondary or higher unit...
Well if it say's additional receiver that means you own it! You only have to pay a mirroring fee after the primary receiver of $4.99 per month. If the receiver is leased, the primary is not charged a fee, it's only charged after the second unit or higher. Leased equipment can be returned and exchanged at anytime without expense to you. It's like getting the latest model when it comes out for simply an exchange!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.