DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· AllStar
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading here, and I can't tell if I have good or bad signal strength.

Here are my readings:

103(s)
0 95 0 0 0 95 na na
na na na na na na 0 52
0 90 66 47 80 0 0 0
na na na na na na na na

99(s)
47 58 53 82 66 54 na na
na na na na na na 78 0
97 96 0 0 0 0 76 64
na na na na na na na na

99(c)
88 88 82 83 86 85 80 81
83 83 82 80 87 83 na na

na na na na na 81 95 81
86 87 92 86 72 88 0 89

na na na na na na na 61
na 48 na 71 na na na na

83 56 79 68 79 83 76 74
70 0 67 47 67 68 72 75
74 67 80 77 77 88 79 86
81 56 82 94 82 90 83 89

Is this good? bad? Am i missing any sats that I shouldn't be?

· Registered
2,210 Posts
danjfoley said:
I've been reading here, and I can't tell if I have good or bad signal strength.

Here are my readings:

103(s)
0 95 0 0 0 95 na na
na na na na na na 0 52
0 90 66 47 80 0 0 0
na na na na na na na na

99(s)
47 58 53 82 66 54 na na
na na na na na na 78 0
97 96 0 0 0 0 76 64
na na na na na na na na

99(c)
88 88 82 83 86 85 80 81
83 83 82 80 87 83 na na

na na na na na 81 95 81
86 87 92 86 72 88 0 89

na na na na na na na 61
na 48 na 71 na na na na

83 56 79 68 79 83 76 74
70 0 67 47 67 68 72 75
74 67 80 77 77 88 79 86
81 56 82 94 82 90 83 89

Is this good? bad? Am i missing any sats that I shouldn't be?
103(s)
is used for spot beams. the lower readings i wouldn't be so concerned about for your seeing neighboring DMA locations

99(s)
same as i explained above

99(c)
the readings you have is all in the normal range. but for my taste they could be improved 5 or points. 90+ is the better to have.

readings are low but could be improved.

way to low, they should be no lower than 70.

yes these are low as well.

over all if it was me and i wanted to prevent rain fade as much as possible. i would consider a re-alignment.

oh, what is your 103(c) readings?

· Hall Of Fame
5,402 Posts
gulfwarvet said:
it could be be several issues that will cause this.

*BBC's
*bad coax connection
*bad multiswitch (if you have one?)
*Bad alignment (which seems more like the issue)
What IRD do you have? There is a rash of HR21-100's lately were tuner 2 is less then 1

· AllStar
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
actually tuner 2 isn't always lower. In fact a good amount of time it's HIGHER then tuner 1. I just thought they should always be the same.

Now i don't mind doing a realignment myself, the question I have is, what is the proper procedure for doing a realignment?

I don't need the actual how to move the dish around and lock it in position. That I know how to do, but I mean what of the 3 dish directional settings do i want to change, and in what order.. and since there are so many transponders to look at, how to i get them all good, which ones do i look at ..

etc.. etc.. etc..

is there some really good step by step guide?

also:

1. I don't know what a BBC is...
2. Don't have a multiswitch.
3. Here is my current setup:

I have 2 regular receivers and one HD-DVR. Each receiver had one coax going to it from the existing comcast setup. The installer ran new cables from the sat down to the comcast plastic box on the outside of the house. He then used the 3 existings cables and hooked it up to those cables. He ran a new cable into the DVR as it needs 2 cables.

I have the HR21

· AllStar
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my sat seems that realignment will be easy. It has screws that you turn that push and pull the sat to turn it. (meaning i don't have to actually grab it and turn it).. then i just lock it down with bolts when i get it where i want.

So i can really turn the dish in minute increments, one turn of each screw will turn the dish a really really small amount.

· You make it, We break it
4,480 Posts
Definitely look at alignment first, especially given that you get disparities in Tuner 1 and 2. If they are more than ten points from each other, start with elevation - and it will be microtiny.

Before you start messing with the micro-knobs though, be aware the bolts for each adjustment should not be locked down, so I'd try small adjustments on the bolts themselves first.

Use a sharpie pen to mark the current settings you have so you can return to them also.

(This all assumes you want to try some adjusting yourself)

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,454 Posts
Canis Lupus said:
Definitely look at alignment first, especially given that you get disparities in Tuner 1 and 2.
Please explain why you think that dish alignment can have an impact.

Typically, differentials like these have much more to do with differences in the connection between the switchgear and the receiver.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
gulfwarvet said:
.....oh, what is your 103(c) readings?
Dan, what's the answer to this question. Your 99(c)'s look pretty good, especially if you have an HR21-100. That would be about as high as you're gonna get. If not, they could be up in the mid-90's on many tp's.

See this post for some step-by-step re-alignment info, per your request.

4,480 Posts
I'm just passing along information that I've seen posted many times in this forum - possibly by K4 who's reading this thread, but definitely others.

With the numbers I've seen so far, I'd look at alignment before anything else, especially if the disparity in numbers between tuners is 10 points or more. If it's alignment, a small tweak of the elevation has a higher likelihood of getting the numbers in line.

I don't know how alignment works on Dish Network dishes.

harsh said:
Please explain why you think that dish alignment can have an impact.

Typically, differentials like these have much more to do with differences in the connection between the switchgear and the receiver.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
Re-alignment would not correct any disparity between tuners. If swapping antenna lines/BBC's doesn't also swap the disparity, it's a receiver issue. If the disparity swaps, you might have a bad coax line/BBC/connector problem.

· AllStar
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
soon as my daughter is done watching her movie i'll get the 103 numbers. Not sure how i missed that! thought i went thru all the sats.

Again i have no idea what BBC means. Could someone let me know? Also i want to make sure you all realize that tuner 1 is not better then tuner 2 or the other way around. It's just that the readings between the 2 are different. Different in the range of 10 or more sometimes. It depends on the transponder which (tuner 1 or 2) has more signal.

I just don't understand how it could be any problem with the connections to the receiver, as if this were the case, I would assume i'd see one or the other tunes being consistently worse then the other. And this is not the case.

Now, why are you saying not to mess with the micro knobs? I actually don't know if there are locking bolts or not, i just know there are micro knobs. If you are saying i need a fine tune in elevation then why not use the micro knobs?

4,480 Posts
From Stew above:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1194131&postcount=44

Fine-tuning can get a bit tricky, and you don't want to damage the fine-tuning bolts:

"Next, make sure you understand how the fine tuning mechanisms are constructed, so you don't damage them. Reviewing the DirecTV video (above) is especially helpful in this respect. Because the EL is the most likely to be out of alignment, you might begin there. Note that you do NOT loosen the nut behind the EL or the AZ fine adjustment knobs unless you run out of travel on the screw, just the other two nuts on the EL and AZ fine adjustment mechanisms, as applicable to your mount. (Some mounts have only one EL lockdown bolt.) Make sure the nut behind the EL adjustment knob is tight before you loosen the other nut(s). Do not otherwise loosen all the EL nuts simultaneously, or the whole dish will drop unexpectedly. Do NOT loosen anything on the fine tuning mechanisms that's not a 1/2" nut."

danjfoley said:
Now, why are you saying not to mess with the micro knobs? I actually don't know if there are locking bolts or not, i just know there are micro knobs. If you are saying i need a fine tune in elevation then why not use the micro knobs?

4,480 Posts
BBCs (B-Band Converters) are the little black (or grey if older) boxes that attach between the incoming SAT lines and the inputs on the back of your receiver.

They make it possible for the new HD channels to be viewed, and had a history of being faulty - especially back when they first came out (and were grey in color).

danjfoley said:
Again i have no idea what BBC means.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.