DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Legend
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my HR20 hooked up as a back-up for my HR10-250 for about a month. I guess I must be one of the lucky ones as I have had no real issues with the box. I haven't used series links yet, but it has recorded and played back everything that I have told it to.

Somehow when I ordered my HR20, the installer brought two (go figure - same thing happened to my friend here at work). :) So, I was waiting until they got a few more of the bugs worked out before I retired the HR10-250 and replaced it with the HR20. But then my HR10-250 got the 6.3 update last week and now I'm getting audio drop-outs on my local OTA channels, which is about 99% of what we record. Thank god for Bit Torrent! :D

So, I guess the second HR20 has to go into service, but when??? I just wish it had more recording capacity as my HR10-250 already has a second drive in it and my wife records about 6 hours per night. I was so excited to read that the eSATA port had been enabled, but the fact that it won't use more than 300GB just plain STINKS! :mad:

D* has really blown this one. On one-hand we've got the old unit that used to work reliably, but now has audio drop-outs and on the other I've got a new unit that is a big unknown. If it weren't for Sunday Ticket, I would be running to check out Verizon's FIOS TV that is available recently in my area...

Just felt like venting!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
blucas95 said:
D* has really blown this one. On one-hand we've got the old unit that used to work reliably, but now has audio drop-outs and on the other I've got a new unit that is a big unknown. If it weren't for Sunday Ticket, I would be running to check out Verizon's FIOS TV that is available recently in my area...

Just felt like venting!
Hook it up as third unit... which would be an options.

AS for D* blowing it with the 6.3a ....

TiVo is working with DirecTV to identify the cause of the error.
As of right now, no eta on a 6.3b or what ever it may be called.

·
Legend
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Hook it up as third unit... which would be an options.

AS for D* blowing it with the 6.3a ....

TiVo is working with DirecTV to identify the cause of the error.
As of right now, no eta on a 6.3b or what ever it may be called.
Yeah... If I had two more line to my living room that would be an option, but my house is pre-wired for cable, so I have two and only two lines to each room and that seems like a lot of trouble for a HOPEFULLY temporary fix.

I think I'm just gonna jump feet first into the HR20. Like I said, my other has been performing flawlessly since the beginning and there is always Bit Torrent for and missed/corrupted shows. :D

At least I should be able to sell by HR10-250 on eBay for a pretty penny. Seems like demand is going up for them AND it already has a second drive in it which doubles the recording capacity.

Thanks Earl.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
blucas95 said:

Just felt like venting!
Well, you could always re-image your HR10 back to 3.1.5f and pull the phone cord until a fixed upgrade arrives (or until you're ready to swap in the HR20). That's where I'm at currently...not ready to try the HR20 until OTA is enabled and until there is national MPEG4 content I need (and that is worth signing on to another 2-year commitment).

FIOS has many advantages, but a full-featured and bug-free HD-DVR is not one of them...at least currently.

·
Banned
614 Posts
bwaldron said:
Well, you could always re-image your HR10 back to 3.1.5f and pull the phone cord until a fixed upgrade arrives (or until you're ready to swap in the HR20). That's where I'm at currently...not ready to try the HR20 until OTA is enabled and until there is national MPEG4 content I need (and that is worth signing on to another 2-year commitment).

FIOS has many advantages, but a full-featured and bug-free HD-DVR is not one of them...at least currently.
I would jump at the opportunity to get Fios from Verizon. It's so much less expensive for the same programming. You don't have to buy any equipment. You can get your phone, internet and TV all in one bundle. They beat any other carrier.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
I would jump at the opportunity to get Fios from Verizon. It's so much less expensive for the same programming. You don't have to buy any equipment. You can get your phone, internet and TV all in one bundle. They beat any other carrier.
FIOS is definitely a great option. Excellent PQ and plenty of bandwidth to add programming. They are pricing very aggressively to compete with cable and satellite.

Their DVR will get better, I am sure...and the Tivo Series 3 is an option if the $$ is not an issue.

Only problem is that they do not carry any of the various pro sports packages (NBA/NHL/MLB) which for me are a requirement (I can actually live without Sunday Ticket). If/when they get them, it will be hard to stay with D*. If I weren't a big sports fan (or a fan only of the local teams), I would likely be a FIOS customer now.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
bwaldron said:
FIOS is definitely a great option. Excellent PQ and plenty of bandwidth to add programming. They are pricing very aggressively to compete with cable and satellite.

Their DVR will get better, I am sure...and the Tivo Series 3 is an option if the $$ is not an issue.

Only problem is that they do not carry any of the various pro sports packages (NBA/NHL/MLB) which for me are a requirement (I can actually live without Sunday Ticket). If/when they get them, it will be hard to stay with D*. If I weren't a big sports fan (or a fan only of the local teams), I would likely be a FIOS customer now.
I'm with you on the FIOS thing, and I don't care about sports packages. If you look at the new D* software download threads from the past three weeks, it's problem after problem. And poor Earl keeps trying to plug all the holes, but sooner or later, he's gonna run out of fingers. It's getting nuts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.