DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for everyone I just purchased an hr21 from BB to replace an old RCA receiver I am going to move up to HD service from D..tv and I am going to buy the next HD receiver from them to get the free dish install. My problem is I have an old R10 that I want to keep in the setup and an old hughes for a tv that is not hd. I want to put the new Hr21 on my new flat screen but also keep the R10 connected. When the installer puts in the dish am I going to be able to still use the R10 or will it not be compatible with new dish and will I have enough connections from the new dish to have both hr21s the R10 and the old hughes receiver still connected.

· Registered
5,674 Posts
I used an r10 alongside an hr20 for a few weeks when I got my first hr20. no issues that I remember and I was using au9s 5lnb dish.
didn't get hd channels of course on that unit.

you will need some sort of switch(eg wb616 or wb68) though to run 3 dvr's unless you only use 1 tuner on 2 of them. the dish alone allows 4 tuners to be hooked to it, each dvr of course has 2 tuners.

· Hall Of Fame
1,299 Posts
Ya they will come out and install some sort of switch as David said. They will have everything up and running. Just remember that you need two RG6 runs of cable to each of the spots where you want the HR21's. They will probably be willing to do that for you also if you want them to.

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
As webby_s noted you will need 2 RG6 coax feeds per DVR, so adding a DVR where another already is will require 2 more coax lines. When the installer arrives, make sure he understands that the old DVR is staying in that location and active, and that he needs to run 2 additional lines. Also when you place the order, make sure DirecTV notes the requirement for a multiswitch.

Carl

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for the input gentlemen I mistyped on what i was putting in all I want to add next to the r10 in the livingroom is just a regular hd receiver an H21-100 and I was told by D..tv today that I could not run a dvr and a regular receiver to one location she said it will not work on the tv. I cant figure out why when from what Im reading here and other forums it should just be a matter of having the multi-switch am I correct or not. As it stands at this point they are coming on Sat. to install a new slimline dish so I can at least get all the Hd channels on the one HD receiver i have installed. Do you suppose I could convince the installer to do a multi-switch while hes here so i can put it in later.

· Registered
5,530 Posts
MrHowell said:
Thx for the input gentlemen I mistyped on what i was putting in all I want to add next to the r10 in the livingroom is just a regular hd receiver an H21-100 and I was told by D..tv today that I could not run a dvr and a regular receiver to one location she said it will not work on the tv. I cant figure out why when from what Im reading here and other forums it should just be a matter of having the multi-switch am I correct or not. As it stands at this point they are coming on Sat. to install a new slimline dish so I can at least get all the Hd channels on the one HD receiver i have installed. Do you suppose I could convince the installer to do a multi-switch while hes here so i can put it in later.
Of course you can run more than one receiver to one TV, as long as you have the right number of cables. I have three DVRs connected to a single TV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.