DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

· Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DTV Slimline AU9 dish. I know that the LNB voltage powers the LNB and determines polarity on the 101 LNB, the 22KHz signal turns on the 119 LNB, what activates the Ka LNBs or are they always on when other LNBs are powered? DiSEqC settings?

· Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
Depends on which you are referring to. 99s and 99c once it comes up will be stacked with 101 on 13/18v with no tone. 103s and 103c are stacked with 110/119 on 13/18v with 22khz tone.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
I think the LNBs are energized as they are selected in stacks. If all four inputs on a dish are either nothing or ~13V/no tone, then the 99/101 LNBs are energized. When tone is applied, the 103/110/119 LNBs would be. (Note, I'm guessing here, based upon what I think I've seen behaviorally.)

But once an external switch is applied, all LNBs are always engergized all the time. And think how rare it would be for an environment with more than one receiver to all be on the same stack of LNBs. :)

Cheers,
Tom

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Yeah, if you had actually said what you said you were thinking of saying, I might have to moderate it a bit...

· Registered
31,115 Posts
Tom Robertson said:
Yeah, if you had actually said what you said you were thinking of saying, I might have to moderate it a bit...
I figured as much....it's not like I'd throw caution to the wind or anything.. :lol:

Actually....it is an interesting question, once I understood the real intent.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
NYCEGUY01 said:
99 AND 103 Use a digital signal sent from the IRD
Nope, guess again. :)

Actually both Ka hi and Ka lo from 99 are sent on the same settings as 101. As are 103 Ka hi and Ka lo with 110/119. They use 3 different "stacks" of 500MHz bandwidth portions of the 250MHz to 2150MHz spectrum on the coax.

Cheers,
Tom

· Godfather
295 Posts
I always thought it was the Playboy channel that turned them on.....

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
I suspect that all of the LNBs are ON whenever power is applied. The multiswitch will select which output/polarization is selected for each output port. IIRC, 99 is selected with the same logic as 101 and 103 uses the same logic as 110/119 (the frequencies are different so there is no interference between downconverted Ka and Ku signals).

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
bobnielsen said:
I suspect that all of the LNBs are ON whenever power is applied. The multiswitch will select which output/polarization is selected for each output port. IIRC, 99 is selected with the same logic as 101 and 103 uses the same logic as 110/119 (the frequencies are different so there is no interference between downconverted Ka and Ku signals).
13 volts odd tps 99 & 101
18 volts even tps 99 & 101
13 volts 22 KHz odd tps 103, & 119
18 volts 22 KHz even tps 103, 110, 119

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
NYCEGUY01 said:
99 AND 103 Use a digital signal sent from the IRD
The only time digital signals are sent from the IRD is when it's used in an SWM configuration. And that's only to communicate with the SWM itself, the SWM still talks to the LNBs with the voltage/tone combo.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Jeremy W,

Now you get a Nope...Not quite right either. :)

The IRD sends DiSEqC signals for the flexports. :)

And technically the 22khz tone is a digital signal (on or off) for the 103/110/119 LNBs and part of DiSEqC too.

Cheers,
Tom

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
cartrivision said:
So then the next question is, what is the signal method that is used to tell the BBCs to start broadband converting?
Good point. :) I think that is also a subset of DiSEqC, but I'm not 100% certain.

Cheers,
Tom

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
I'm not sure a BBC would need a "signal" other than the presence of the low frequency IF signal which needs up-converting....

· Hall Of Fame
3,862 Posts
K4SMX said:
I'm not sure a BBC would need a "signal" other than the presence of the low frequency IF signal which needs up-converting....
Since the BBC converts the KA low feed frequency range into a frequency range that is used for something else in the stack, the conversion does need to be turned on and off.

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
Tom Robertson said:
And technically the 22khz tone is a digital signal (on or off) for the 103/110/119 LNBs and part of DiSEqC too.
Sigh, so technical! :lol:

The 22khz tone is the carrier for DiSEqC, but the way it's used for 103/110/119 in a continuous on or off manner isn't a DiSEqC command at all. Since we're being technical. ;)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.