DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
4,345 Posts
Hmmm.. I remember buying something for everyone when I got the our first DVD player.. If memory serves... It was "Flubber" with Robin Williams for the kids, Tron (the old version, not the anniversary edition) for me (an old sentimental favorite) and "Ladyhawke" for 'everyone'. There was another in in there - some came with the player (like Jumanji).

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
My first DVD was The Negotiator with Samuel L. Jackson and Kevin Spacey. I purchased it in late December of 1999, to play on my PC with a DVD-ROM drive as I didn’t get a real DVD Player until a year later. $24.99 at Target, now it can be found in the $5 bargain bin at WalMart.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
The Matrix and Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me in Dec. 1999.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
bidger said:
The Matrix and Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me in Dec. 1999.
What a great question! I think it was Apollo 13. I remember it was about $40.

Can you remember those days? $40 for a damn DVD.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Chris Blount said:
I was there at the very beginning. My first purchases were Batman and Twister in April of 1997.
I was an early adopter as well. I upgraded from a Pioneer Laser Disc Player. Remember those?

My first DVD player was about $400. It recently gave up the ghost and stopped working. :(

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
Can you remember those days? $40 for a damn DVD.
No, you must have jumped in a few years before me. The reason I knew it was time for me to buy was that titles were around $15 @ WalMart.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Twister... and the other moveis that where released on the very first day.

I had the player on Sunday, and had to wait till Tuesday for the releases

I think Wizard of Oz was also part of that release day...

I know during the DVD/Divx fight... I buy all that I could of DVD's.
Also helped that I wasn't married yet, and was still living at home.

And had just gotten a $1,500 stock option check... when our company was bought out.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,546 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
I was an early adopter as well. I upgraded from a Pioneer Laser Disc Player. Remember those?

My first DVD player was about $400. It recently gave up the ghost and stopped working. :(
I remember when I bought my Pioneer laser disc player and my first disc for it was Clint Eastwood's "The Unforgiven" back in the summer of '93. I think that one was two discs and, of course, they were the size of a large record. I think it cost something like $500-600 bucks back then. I had it for about 6 months before I dropped and broke it while moving.

Funny thing is, I can't remember at all what my first DVD was. I guess I'm getting too old. :lol:

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
I remember when I bought my Pioneer laser disc player and my first disc for it was Clint Eastwood's "The Unforgiven" back in the summer of '93.
I had a Toshiba Laser Disc player. It died twice and was repaired once before I gave up on it. My first LD was a double disc "Hunt for Red October". My first DVD, played on my Toshiba DVD player, was Top Gun, a DVD that everyone had to own at the time. I still have Hunt for Red October and about a dozen other LD's, but nothing to play them on. :(

·
Godfather
298 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:

I had a Sony laser disc player you could play both sides of the disc without flipping it.

Terminator 2 was my first laser disc.

My first DVD player was a Sony 5 disc (my new one is also a Sony 5 disc).

My first DVD was Goodfellas and Terminator 2.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.