DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I don't really see any reason to continue with a new Hx2x receiver at the moment. The only thing I can imagine coming out is the RVU client, and MAYBE an 8 tuner HD DVR (Just plug the SWM LNB into it, and have all RVU clients). Once we start getting into 4k resolution, then we'll probably see some new 2 tuner DVRs.

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
Built in WiFi for Internet & Phone Service.

Larger Hard Drives.

·
Chancellor
9,094 Posts
kevinturcotte said:
Once we start getting into 4k resolution, then we'll probably see some new 2 tuner DVRs.
Totally disagree.

I wouldn't be surprised if the HR24 is the last two tuner HD-DVR. If it's not, I expect it won't go many beyond it.

~Alan

·
Legend
103 Posts
Do like I did and connect a 2TB external hard drive if you want maximum recording space. There's really no need to go any larger as 2TB holds 1,600 hours of SD and 400 hours of HD and you can schedule up to 100 different series links. The only reason I can see wanting anything larger than 2TB is if you don't use your DVR simply for watching programs and then deleting them; meaning you want to record movies and/or series and then keep them permanently to build a virtual library.

·
Always Searching
1,938 Posts
Bartman94 said:
Do like I did and connect a 2TB external hard drive if you want maximum recording space. There's really no need to go any larger as 2TB holds 1,600 hours of SD and 400 hours of HD and you can schedule up to 100 different series links. The only reason I can see wanting anything larger than 2TB is if you don't use your DVR simply for watching programs and then deleting them; meaning you want to record movies and/or series and then keep them permanently to build a virtual library.
FYI -- you cannot go larger than 2TB on any current receiver

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
kevinturcotte said:
With DECA, I don't really see the need for Wi-fi. Larger hard drives, yes.

Consumers want wireless. Not black boxes all over the place.

·
Chancellor
9,094 Posts
Bartman94 said:
We're talking about INTERNAL hard drive space. Not everybody is going to want to hook up an external eSATA drive to their DVR. It takes up space, it uses more power, it takes up outlet space. Not to mention that over the next few years, larger hard drives will be easier to buy in bulk than 500gb hard drives.

Also... only the HR34 has 100 Series Links. The other DVRs have 50.

~Alan

·
Chancellor
9,094 Posts
Drucifer said:

Consumers want wireless. Not black boxes all over the place.
Unless DirecTV figures out a way to connect STBs to SWiM wirelessly, those consumers will already have a cable going into into their STBs. One wired CCK or wireless CCK will connect them to the internet without them having black boxes all over the place... well, aside from the STBs of course! :D

~Alan

·
Legend
103 Posts
Eventually the internal hard drives will be 2TB. Until then you can find external enclosures that really don't take up much space. And with a high quality power center there's no worries about having enough electrical outlets. Cosmetically the fewer the number of pieces of equipment you have is always better if you're equipment is out in the open, but when your setup is that of an enthusiast, one small external piece is neither here nor there

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
"Bartman94" said:
Eventually the internal hard drives will be 2TB. Until then you can find external enclosures that really don't take up much space. And with a high quality power center there's no worries about having enough electrical outlets.
as long as its not one of those Monster centers and their $30-$100 power cables :)

·
Chancellor
9,094 Posts
Bartman94 said:
Eventually the internal hard drives will be 2TB. Until then you can find external enclosures that really don't take up much space.
I have a 2TB external on my HR23...

My point was that the way the external drives are setup will most likely deter most subscribers from getting one.

Future DVRs WILL have bigger internal drives.

~Alan

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
"Alan Gordon" said:
I have a 2TB external on my HR23...

My point was that the way the external drives are setup will most likely deter most subscribers from getting one.

Future DVRs WILL have bigger internal drives.

~Alan
I was actually surprised the 34 has 1TB.

The difference with computers, as hard drive sizes went up, program bloat and size went up.

·
Chancellor
9,094 Posts
dpeters11 said:
I was actually surprised the 34 has 1TB.

The difference with computers, as hard drive sizes went up, program bloat and size went up.
Indeed...

If DirecTV's plans for the HMC (HR34) are what they (seem) to have implied, the HR35 NEEDS a 2TB at least, IMO...

~Alan

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
Alan Gordon said:
Unless DirecTV figures out a way to connect STBs to SWiM wirelessly, those consumers will already have a cable going into into their STBs. One wired CCK or wireless CCK will connect them to the internet without them having black boxes all over the place... well, aside from the STBs of course! :D

~Alan
Did I miss something? The CCK is a black box,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.