DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mentor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What will happen with the 1080i channels if I turn of 740p on my receiver? I turned it off because my tv does not natively support it, my tv downconverts to 540p. So on the receiver will it upconvert a 740p channel to 1080i? or will it do something else weird and should I just leave it on and let my tv supposedly downconvert it?

Thanks

·
Legend
188 Posts
Your numbers do not make sense. Do you mean 720p and 480p? If you tv does not support 720p, turning it on should show a screwed up picture, three panels on the screen, I believe. Turning it off will not hurt anything. My tv does not support 720p and all the channels that would be 720p are just upconverted to 1080. I could be wrong and somebody will let me know.

·
Mentor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I meant 720. But I did mean 540p for Standard Def. I have an older Zenith TV and it says it upconverts 480 to 540, and also will downconvert 720 to 540, but it does have 1080i on the tv so I guess it would be best to turn off 720 on the receiver and it will upconvert on the receiver to 1080i?

Thanks

·
Legend
188 Posts
Not sure about it if it statesthat 720 would got to 540 lines of resolution, it may not upconvert to 1080. I am sure someone will know, be patient and keep checking as it is late tonight.

·
Legend
139 Posts
mckingsley said:
Sorry I meant 720. But I did mean 540p for Standard Def. I have an older Zenith TV and it says it upconverts 480 to 540, and also will downconvert 720 to 540, but it does have 1080i on the tv so I guess it would be best to turn off 720 on the receiver and it will upconvert on the receiver to 1080i?

Thanks
The only formats that can be "active" on the HR20 are the ones that you check in the setup menu. I they are not checked, you cannot even select that format on the HR20. If it is "checked", and you have set that given format as the active format for the box, then the box will output everything to your TV in that currently "active" format. If the signal is not being broadcast over DTV in that format natively, the box will up/down convert to that appropriate format and send it out to your TV. If at that point, the format that the box is sending to the TV in not supported by the TV, your TV should (and most likely will based on what you have written thus far) convert that signal to a usable one for your TV.

So to simplify (if that's possible at this point:) ), if your TV does not support a certain format for sure, such as 720P, then make sure you do not have that format checked, or at least as the active format, on your HR20. That way the signal isn't being converted back and forth.

Additionally, based on what I've seen of the HR20 supported format setup, if your TV doesn't support a format you have "checked", then you cannot finish setting up that particular format on the DVR, as it gives a confirmation screen that should be visible if your TV supports the format you have selected. This is my understanding of how that all works. If I am wrong, I appologize, and I'm sure somebody will correct me.

I hope my thoughts are coherent enough to make sense to you. It's late and I'm slightly tired. Later.

Kurt

·
AllStar
74 Posts
kvitense said:
The only formats that can be "active" on the HR20 are the ones that you check in the setup menu. I they are not checked, you cannot even select that format on the HR20. If it is "checked", and you have set that given format as the active format for the box, then the box will output everything to your TV in that currently "active" format. If the signal is not being broadcast over DTV in that format natively, the box will up/down convert to that appropriate format and send it out to your TV. If at that point, the format that the box is sending to the TV in not supported by the TV, your TV should (and most likely will based on what you have written thus far) convert that signal to a usable one for your TV.

So to simplify (if that's possible at this point:) ), if your TV does not support a certain format for sure, such as 720P, then make sure you do not have that format checked, or at least as the active format, on your HR20. That way the signal isn't being converted back and forth.

Additionally, based on what I've seen of the HR20 supported format setup, if your TV doesn't support a format you have "checked", then you cannot finish setting up that particular format on the DVR, as it gives a confirmation screen that should be visible if your TV supports the format you have selected. This is my understanding of how that all works. If I am wrong, I appologize, and I'm sure somebody will correct me.

I hope my thoughts are coherent enough to make sense to you. It's late and I'm slightly tired. Later.

Kurt
Here is an interesting question. Our ABC local keeps getting a choppy recording. I have 1080 and 480 selected, but not 720. ABC is shown in 720. Could that be causing the problems? Just trying to troubleshoot...

·
Mentor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, this all makes more sense now.

So is it generally worth it to let the receiver upconvert my 720 to 1080 then(since my tv does not do 720)? Does the receiver do a good job or have any pixelation issues? Otherwise I can always turn 720 back on my receiver and my TV will downconvert to 540. I will do some tests later, but I was wondering if anyone knew in theory what is supposed to be better.

·
Legend
139 Posts
yensid said:
Here is an interesting question. Our ABC local keeps getting a choppy recording. I have 1080 and 480 selected, but not 720. ABC is shown in 720. Could that be causing the problems? Just trying to troubleshoot...
You will just have to experiment to see.

·
Legend
139 Posts
mckingsley said:
Yes, this all makes more sense now.

So is it generally worth it to let the receiver upconvert my 720 to 1080 then(since my tv does not do 720)? Does the receiver do a good job or have any pixelation issues? Otherwise I can always turn 720 back on my receiver and my TV will downconvert to 540. I will do some tests later, but I was wondering if anyone knew in theory what is supposed to be better.
You will just have to experiment as well to see which component you think does a better job of converting to the signal that looks best to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.