DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the pricing of the 721 at $549, what would get you to buy one if you are on the fence?

I for one would pay $200 with a 1 year contract but even that's negotiable. Come on Dish, let's get some incentives going!

·
Godfather
258 Posts
Didn't they also announce a two tuner PVR without the broadband internet capability (521 or something like that)? That product would be better suited to my needs and would likely be far less expensive. I can't think of anything that would make me buy a 721 save dropping the price at least $200.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,434 Posts
Hardware wise. Any Dual Tuner, full feature PVR if under $200, any single tuner PVR under $100.

But would also look at stability track record. At any price I would not buy the 721 for at least six months. They should pay me to be a beta tester

·
Godfather/Supporter
444 Posts
My satellite dealer had to come over last night to swap out a bad LNB. We started talking about the 721. He mentioned that he thought there would be deals around October (just speculation, of course), but that was just about the same timeframe I had been thinking.

As for buying one, I'm not in the market, since I'd have to also purchase the switch (already have 2 receivers), pushing the price up even further.

·
Godfather/Supporter
342 Posts
The price seems fairly reasonable to me. I was actually hoping for about $399 but I will probably be at the front of the line to get one when/ if they actually come out

·
Godfather
258 Posts
That's a good point. For the price they are asking the 721 should come with a quad LNB or maybe an SW64 so that you can hook the thing up. I suspect that the majority of E* subs already have at least two IRDs.

·
9 Posts
Originally posted by Chris Blount
With the pricing of the 721 at $549, what would get you to buy one if you are on the fence?

I for one would pay $200 with a 1 year contract but even that's negotiable. Come on Dish, let's get some incentives going!
Generally, I am not going to spend more than $300.

A deal I might spring for would be: $250 at install, 1 year service contract. Right now, they are giving away 3 months of service. That is at least $90 they are giving away. If they kept the 3 months but sold me the equipment for $250 or less, I would consider it.

But, they would need to prove it worked at something more than a beta-test level and would have to offer some high-tech offering only the 721 would have to make me jump. Broadband through the USB would be an example.

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
As a HD user of Dish, I'm waiting for either the JVC TU-9000 or the Dish 921 HD PVR assuming either of these units have a component output. I would love to see an upgrade program by Dish, but I'm sure that I will have to pay a sizable amount for all of the necessary upgrades from my current Dish 6000.

I also think it is prudent to see what is going to happen with DVI/Firewire/Copy Protection and the impact to the connectivity of these units to my Mits 55807. I would have to upgrade with the forthcoming promise module for use of these units with the new connections.

·
9 Posts
Originally posted by dinkster
As a HD user of Dish, I'm waiting for either the JVC TU-9000 or the Dish 921 HD PVR assuming either of these units have a component output. I would love to see an upgrade program by Dish, but I'm sure that I will have to pay a sizable amount for all of the necessary upgrades from my current Dish 6000.
Sounds good, but I would guess that it will be a while before the 921 is available and longer still until the software is solid.

I also think it is prudent to see what is going to happen with DVI/Firewire/Copy Protection and the impact to the connectivity of these units to my Mits 55807. I would have to upgrade with the forthcoming promise module for use of these units with the new connections.
Exactly why I am holding off all my HD purchases right now. When the manufacturers can get their act together and come up with a standard they plan on sticking to, I will consider starting the HD home theater with HD satelite and front-screen projector. By the time I finish the home theater room in the basement, prices should have dropped some and technology should have worked some of the bugs out.

·
Godfather
432 Posts
I agree holding off on all HDTV purchases until they figure out connectivity. DVI, firewire and a new one I read about in Hometheater mag, basically a juiced up DVI with copy protection and the one wire solution that firewire gives, although I guess firewire was compressed this new connection will be uncompressed..
It's something like HDDVI....etc

·
Icon
844 Posts
I won't get one at that price unless it comes with a free SW-64. Otherwise, the price for me would actually be $700!! Too much money. The requirement for two line feeds just makes this unit impractical for me right now.

Still, if they gave me a free SW-64 and, say, 6 months of free AT-150, then yeah, I'd buy it!

-Lyle J.P.

·
Mentor
36 Posts
>>What would get you to buy a 721?

- Price of $349 or less
- no programming commitments
- no CC AP req.
- Proven quality software (*** This is a biggie)
- Offer it in Black too
(I'm not gonna plant a silver box in my sea of black boxes)

- and it'd be nice to be able to hack this thing and add another 120 GB HD someday

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.